🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!

LoboFan07

On 12/23/2018 at 4:48 PM, wingtveer said:

Tough and special moment with coach king and Haynes in the post game  interview. Haynes was completely overcome and could barely talk. Proud for him. I’ll definitely be watching more lobo games  than any others next yr. what a special season. Congratulations LOBOS!!

That moment was  years in the making , back when Haynes was ball boy on the side lines throwing dimes at 8 years old , I looked to my friend next to me,and said he will be our qb one day and help bring us win state , fast forward bam!

For anyone who can't view the article 

John King had received a job opportunity that warranted some consideration.

So, when taking his son, Haynes, to daycare one day, they drove out of the way just to drive by Lobo Stadium.

He looked over to his left at his son, then 4-years-old, who had begun to cry.

“I wan’t to be a Lobo,” Haynes said to his father.

"He didn't want to leave and I didn't either," King said.

That was the end of that and it was also just the beginning.

So, when taking his son, Haynes, to daycare one day, they drove out of the way just to drive by Lobo Stadium.

Les Hassell/News-Journal File Photo
“He’s a kid that grew up around this program,” John King said. “He crawled around this field house, had his little Lobo jersey and football with him on the bus all over this state. He’s never missed a game in his life.”

Haynes wasn’t just there watching, he was observing, learning and taking notes from the things he saw on the field.

That’s what I do,” Haynes said. “When I was a ball boy, I would be watching the game and taking notes on how to handle that atmosphere and it helped me in the long run.”

It all played a major role in Haynes’ journey — the games, the travel, the triumphs and the heartbreak.

When we went to those state games (in 2008 and 2009), I would be thinking in my head that when I get this chance, I’m going to try to go win this,” Haynes said.

Added John King: “That’s what he grew up around. I think all of the pieces of the puzzle along the way with being on the bus, getting to go play Lobo ball with the wild bunch before playoff games, being there for the ride, seeing so many great players that came through Longview, seeing so many great players we’ve played against, all of that helped develop him to be the best player he is.”

Haynes King is homegrown in every aspect of the word.

“He has an outstanding quarterback coach in Chris Vallery, a guy that has invested a lot of time in him,” John King said. “I’m not taking a shot at anybody else but he doesn’t go around to different quarterback coaches or trainers like a lot of people do. He gets coached by his high school football coach who does an outstanding job with him.

Val doesn’t get a lot of credit for what he’s done with all of our quarterbacks. It’s been a heck of a ride. I want them to hear it from our guy. He hears it from one guy and that’s Coach Vallery.”

The father-son duo are alike in a lot of ways, from the way they stand with their hands on their hips to the fierce competitive nature that they attack every snap with.

Haynes is a coaches’ kid, through and through, from the way he plays the game to how he responds to interview questions. There’s coach talk from Haynes about what it takes to win as a team, overcoming adversity and staying together. It’s never about the individual but always about the team and how to get better.

Along with the photos of a young Haynes wearing that Lobo jersey or throwing the ball on the sidelines in head coaches’ offeice, the awards from Haynes’ junior season are taking up real estate — the player of the week awards, the state title game offensive MVP plaque.

None of those really matter to Haynes. The one trophy that does now reside in the Lobo Den — the 2018 Class 6A, Division II championship.

“It is always going to be about this team,” John King said. “The awards, the offers, all of that, they mean more to him than he probably lets on but this kid has one goal and that’s to help this football team in any way he can.

He’s a competitor and a winner. It’s never been about him, it’s always been about the team and it’s been that way since he was a little kid. He likes to go win with his teammates. He has fun and he gets mad when he messes up. That’s why you show your kid tough love and the kids in this field house have seen the tough love that I’ve shown him. That’s the reason he is able to go out and do what he does.”

Naturally, John King was asked about what it was like to share a state championship with his quarterback son helping lead the charge. Of course, he said it was special.

“It’s with all of my sons,” King said Saturday in Arlington. “I’ve seen these kids grow up.

“Haynes grew up playing with them. They put in the work. This football team deserved to be in the state championship game. Yes, it’s special because you’ve got your son here. He did make that comment after 2008 and 2009 that he was going to help find a way to win it. I guess, coming from an 8-year-old, that I didn’t put much stock in it. It’s been special. All of these kids are special.”

Haynes finished his junior season 183-of-273 passing for 3,677 yards, 41 touchdowns and four interceptions passing. He added 71 carries for 576 yards and eight touchdowns. He hit the 50-touchdown mark with a scoring catch as well. He re-wrote virtually every school record passing-wise

He capped a junior season where he was named the Associated Press Texas Offensive Player of the Year, the Class 6A AP Offensive Player of the Year and a Built Ford Tough Player of the Year candidate with a career-best 425 passing yards in Longview’s 35-34 win over West Brook

In 27 starts for the Lobos, Haynes is 313-of-573 for 5,771 yards, 66 touchdowns with 12 interceptions. He has 93 carries for 806 yards and 10 touchdowns and two catches for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Haynes will enter his senior football season, which begins Jan. 7 (as soon as the Lobos return from the holiday break), with 16 total offers, including TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Auburn and Missouri.

The only thing that mattered for the Kings and the Lobos was what happened when the clock finally hit zero in Arlington and the two embraced, along with their team, at midfield, the epicenter of an emotional earthquake that rocked AT&T Stadium when 81 years of frustration and heartbreak was lifted.

“He’s a kid that grew up around this program,” John King said. “He crawled around this field house, had his little Lobo jersey and football with him on the bus all over this state. He’s never missed a game in his life.”

Haynes wasn’t just there watching, he was observing, learning and taking notes from the things he saw on the field.

That’s what I do,” Haynes said. “When I was a ball boy, I would be watching the game and taking notes on how to handle that atmosphere and it helped me in the long run.”

It all played a major role in Haynes’ journey — the games, the travel, the triumphs and the heartbreak.

When we went to those state games (in 2008 and 2009), I would be thinking in my head that when I get this chance, I’m going to try to go win this,” Haynes said.

Added John King: “That’s what he grew up around. I think all of the pieces of the puzzle along the way with being on the bus, getting to go play Lobo ball with the wild bunch before playoff games, being there for the ride, seeing so many great players that came through Longview, seeing so many great players we’ve played against, all of that helped develop him to be the best player he is.”

“He has an outstanding quarterback coach in Chris Vallery, a guy that has invested a lot of time in him,” John King said. “I’m not taking a shot at anybody else but he doesn’t go around to different quarterback coaches or trainers like a lot of people do. He gets coached by his high school football coach who does an outstanding job with him.

Val doesn’t get a lot of credit for what he’s done with all of our quarterbacks. It’s been a heck of a ride. I want them to hear it from our guy. He hears it from one guy and that’s Coach Vallery.”

The father-son duo are alike in a lot of ways, from the way they stand with their hands on their hips to the fierce competitive nature that they attack every snap with.

Haynes is a coaches’ kid, through and through, from the way he plays the game to how he responds to interview questions. There’s coach talk from Haynes about what it takes to win as a team, overcoming adversity and staying together. It’s never about the individual but always about the team and how to get better.

Along with the photos of a young Haynes wearing that Lobo jersey or throwing the ball on the sidelines in head coaches’ offeice, the awards from Haynes’ junior season are taking up real estate — the player of the week awards, the state title game offensive MVP plaque.

None of those really matter to Haynes. The one trophy that does now reside in the Lobo Den — the 2018 Class 6A, Division II championship.

“It is always going to be about this team,” John King said. “The awards, the offers, all of that, they mean more to him than he probably lets on but this kid has one goal and that’s to help this football team in any way he can.

He’s a competitor and a winner. It’s never been about him, it’s always been about the team and it’s been that way since he was a little kid. He likes to go win with his teammates. He has fun and he gets mad when he messes up. That’s why you show your kid tough love and the kids in this field house have seen the tough love that I’ve shown him. That’s the reason he is able to go out and do what he does.”

Naturally, John King was asked about what it was like to share a state championship with his quarterback son helping lead the charge. Of course, he said it was special.

“It’s with all of my sons,” King said Saturday in Arlington. “I’ve seen these kids grow up.

“Haynes grew up playing with them. They put in the work. This football team deserved to be in the state championship game. Yes, it’s special because you’ve got your son here. He did make that comment after 2008 and 2009 that he was going to help find a way to win it. I guess, coming from an 8-year-old, that I didn’t put much stock in it. It’s been special. All of these kids are special.”

Haynes finished his junior season 183-of-273 passing for 3,677 yards, 41 touchdowns and four interceptions passing. He added 71 carries for 576 yards and eight touchdowns. He hit the 50-touchdown mark with a scoring catch as well. He re-wrote virtually every school record passing-wise

He capped a junior season where he was named the Associated Press Texas Offensive Player of the Year, the Class 6A AP Offensive Player of the Year and a Built Ford Tough Player of the Year candidate with a career-best 425 passing yards in Longview’s 35-34 win over West Brook

In 27 starts for the Lobos, Haynes is 313-of-573 for 5,771 yards, 66 touchdowns with 12 interceptions. He has 93 carries for 806 yards and 10 touchdowns and two catches for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Haynes will enter his senior football season, which begins Jan. 7 (as soon as the Lobos return from the holiday break), with 16 total offers, including TCU, Baylor, Kansas, Auburn and Missouri.

The only thing that mattered for the Kings and the Lobos was what happened when the clock finally hit zero in Arlington and the two embraced, along with their team, at midfield, the epicenter of an emotional earthquake that rocked AT&T Stadium when 81 years of frustration and heartbreak was lifted.

It was a moment that was shaped with six little words from a 4-year-old on a drive past Lobo Stadium with his dad one day

5c2133285e59c.image.jpg

5c213319c07ba.image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Those late December Championships are Very Special to those fortunate to earn them!🎄🏈🏆👏

My wife’s parents and she are from a town that’s never won a championship of any kind in high school athletics until very very recently.

thanksgiving and Christmas would come around and my mother-in-law would get a tad frustrated with me for going to all these Bulldog playoffs games right at Thanksgiving and then right before Christmas. We have schedules and things built around Carthage Bulldog playoffs and she didn’t understand it. Then Carthage won in ‘08, ‘09 and ‘10 and she realized, holy cow these guys are good! She quit questioning my wife every year and just was of the understanding I’m going Dawgin’. Well, their town won a few titles in different sports recently as well and I think she now better understands how awesome it is. I believe she also understands when those opportunities come around you take advantage of it as a fan whether you’re confident there’ll be more super successful years or not, because we never know.

Congratulations Lobos!

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

My wife’s parents and she are from a town that’s never won a championship of any kind in high school athletics until very very recently.

thanksgiving and Christmas would come around and my mother-in-law would get a tad frustrated with me for going to all these Bulldog playoffs games right at Thanksgiving and then right before Christmas. We have schedules and things built around Carthage Bulldog playoffs and she didn’t understand it. Then Carthage won in ‘08, ‘09 and ‘10 and she realized, holy cow these guys are good! She quit questioning my wife every year and just was of the understanding I’m going Dawgin’. Well, their town won a few titles in different sports recently as well and I think she now better understands how awesome it is. I believe she also understands when those opportunities come around you take advantage of it as a fan whether you’re confident there’ll be more super successful years or not, because we never know.

Congratulations Lobos!

Very well said!Go Lobos!!!!!🏆🏆🏈❤️👌

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Way to take what I said and completely change it to try and make me look bad. I'm sorry that we won state- I know how tough it is for you. But please don't take what I say and misrepresent it?

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Welcome back to Normal around here, folks!

7 hours ago, WolverBean said:

For anyone who can't view the article 

It was a moment that was shaped with six little words from a 4-year-old on a drive past Lobo Stadium with his dad one day

5c2133285e59c.image.jpg

5c213319c07ba.image.jpg

Wolver. Dude, if there was ever an insider of Lobo football, I would put my hard earned money that you may be related to King family in some way,  shape, form or fashion. Dude, these pictures are awesome. That Lobo team in the background is my little brother's team. How in the hell you gain access to pics like this is beyond me. Hell, Haynes had more green in his blood than most Lobo alumni and that includes myself, of course.

• Mr. P changed the title to 🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!