Seahawks @ Dallas ***NFC WILD CARD GAME***

Cowboys Playoffs  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Dallas Cowboys

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/06/2019 at 01:15 AM

1 hour ago, ClawNAntler said:

Not sure how old all of you are but there was a time back in the 70’s where it was just expected that Dallas would be in the playoffs every year and compete for the SB. The losses were hard to cope with. Us Cowboy fans have been let down for so long now that we have learned to cope with losing. We aren’t confident in Dallas winning any game much less a playoff game. I know for me I feel like they can beat Seattle but in the back of my mind I’m hesitant guaranteeing a win like I use to. I think lots of us think something will happen that will cost them the game. I will say I was encouraged how they won that game last Sunday. You can say well that was the Giants and the game shouldn’t have been close but that was two teams that had nothing to play for and both teams played their rears off. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. lol. Pretty much the same thing I said to family during the Christmas holidays. I bet pretty much all of us old school, die hard fans, if I can call us that, remember those days like you did, Claw. You could almost guarantee the Cowboys would be in the playoffs. But, not no more. I lay most, if not all the blame, on Jerry Jones.

From 1966 to 1988, Cowboys were in the playoffs, 17 out of 22 years. Three of those missed appearances, was Landry's last three seasons he coached.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClawNAntler said:

Not sure how old all of you are but there was a time back in the 70’s where it was just expected that Dallas would be in the playoffs every year and compete for the SB. The losses were hard to cope with. Us Cowboy fans have been let down for so long now that we have learned to cope with losing. We aren’t confident in Dallas winning any game much less a playoff game. I know for me I feel like they can beat Seattle but in the back of my mind I’m hesitant guaranteeing a win like I use to. I think lots of us think something will happen that will cost them the game. I will say I was encouraged how they won that game last Sunday. You can say well that was the Giants and the game shouldn’t have been close but that was two teams that had nothing to play for and both teams played their rears off. 

45 minutes ago, Crawford said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. lol. Pretty much the same thing I said to family during the Christmas holidays. I bet pretty much all of us old school, die hard fans, if I can call us that, remember those days like you did, Claw. You could almost guarantee the Cowboys would be in the playoffs. But, not no more. I lay most, if not all the blame, on Jerry Jones.

From 1966 to 1988, Cowboys were in the playoffs, 17 out of 22 years. Three of those missed appearances, was Landry's last three seasons he coached.   

I agree with you both. I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan my WHOLE LIFE...literally. I was born in 1971 in Dallas. I grew up with those same expectations. 

Imo, it was Jerry Jones's middle part of his tenure, where those expectations started slipping away. Since then, it's kinda like Stephen A. Smith says about the Cowboys...an accident waiting to happen alot of those times. 

However, I think the Cowboys are gradually moving towards those past expectations to come back again. 

Win, lose, or tie...I'm a Cowboys fan till I die!!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClawNAntler said:

Not sure how old all of you are but there was a time back in the 70’s where it was just expected that Dallas would be in the playoffs every year and compete for the SB.

I remember those days. Over the last 20 years I have stopped expecting to win and instead just hope to win.

I've been a Cowboy's fan since 1961 we grew up with the "Cowboy's". Those were the day's of Eddie laBaron, Frank Clark, Walt Garrison, and Don Meredith. We were such big fans we would drive to Ardmore Oklahoma, rent a motel room so we could watch games that were blacked out in Denton where I grew up. It's hard to describe the sense of pride we felt for our Cowboys. It was all new, fresh, and fun. I was friends at the time with one of the players, and his mom and dad. We used to party together, and rodeo together. So, my loyalty to the Cowboys goes deep.

Obviously I don't know the full story, between Jones and Jimmy Johnson but I will never forgive Him for firing Johnson in an egotistical tirade. Jones had a chance to make history, "I believe", would never be broken. Three straight super bowl wins. Unprecedented!!!

He crows about winning a super bowl with that yo-yo Barry switzer. Yeah, DA , you did it with Johnsons team. To me that is letting your ego cloud your good sense. I suspect the notiriaty would have increased his bottom line substantially. No doubt Jones is a good business man, he has built the Cowboy franchise into a billion dollar organization. In my humble opinion though, he should've tended to business, and let Jimmy tend to football. But what do I know, I'm a nobody, and he's a billionaire. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ClawNAntler said:

I was born in 1994. I grew up watching reruns of the Super Bowl years (my favorite player was Jay Novacek). I am an avid Dallas sports fan thanks to my dad. My whole entire life, I have witnessed 2 championships, the Dallas Stars in 1999 (yes I do remember lol) and the Mavs in 2011. I have pretty much grown up on the Cowboys being mediocre my whole life, minus a couple good playoff runs here and there. I will always be a loyal Cowboys fan, but like you said, I have been so used to the 'Boys losing that I don't even expect anything different really. And I will say this, as long as Jerry and Jason are running the show, the Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl. And that infuriates me.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Obviously I don't know the full story, between Jones and Jimmy Johnson but I will never forgive Him for firing Johnson in an egotistical tirade. Jones had a chance to make history, "I believe", would never be broken. Three straight super bowl wins. Unprecedented!!!

Imo, I believe it could've been 4-5-6 straight Superbowl wins if Jimmy Johnson had stayed. I really believe that. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Imo, I believe it could've been 4-5-6 straight Superbowl wins if Jimmy Johnson had stayed. I really believe that. 

I do too. Heck, I even think the Cowboys have had a couple Super Bowl winning teams (talent wise) in recent years if it wasn't for our poor coaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TTman7 said:

That's a possibility, Jimmy Johnson was that kind of coach, although it would have been a monumental task, what with the way contracts are structured and difficulty in signing free agents.  Let's face it the patriots have made a dang good run at. And, by the way I can't stand the patriots. Sorry guys ole' DA here replied to the wrong post. 👀

10 hours ago, Newtonres7586 said:

That's a possibility, Jimmy Johnson was that kind of coach, although it would have been a monumental task, what with the way contracts are structured and difficulty in signing free agents.  Let's face it the patriots have made a dang good run at. And, by the way I can't stand the patriots. Sorry guys ole' DA here replied to the wrong post. 👀

I'll let everybody rag on me.   Jimmy Johnson was the perfect coach at the perfect time.  But no way was it going to last.  He never stayed anywhere other than a few years. He actually solicited the Dolphin's job during the Shula era saying "Shula should have this team in the Super Bowl"    He took over the same team and it fell flat.  He made the Miami Hurricanes a team of "hoodlums"...…….a label that it took years for the College to shake (if it ever has). He is not one I choose to glorify. A great coach......yes......but not one that would ever stay in 1 place and not lose control.  He has an ego as big or bigger than Jerry Jones.  And ego is the reason Jerry Jones will never admit he himself has poisoned his own team. Let's not forget that Jimmy Johnson was the "genius" that said Michael Irvin was a mistake to be taken where he was and wanted desperately to get rid of Aikman for Steve Walsh

Jimmy was the right coach at the right time. But him & Jerry were toxic together. I put the blame 50:50 on their breakup.  No coach is going to keep his job when he constantly berates and belittles the owner publicly.  But saying that...…..it took the absolute football stupidity of Jerry Jones to break up what he had.  Brilliant owner with ZERO player evaluation capability.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'll let everybody rag on me.   Jimmy Johnson was the perfect coach at the perfect time.  But no way was it going to last.  He never stayed anywhere other than a few years. He actually solicited the Dolphin's job during the Shula era saying "Shula should have this team in the Super Bowl"    He took over the same team and it fell flat.  He made the Miami Hurricanes a team of "hoodlums"...…….a label that it took years for the College to shake (if it ever has). He is not one I choose to glorify. A great coach......yes......but not one that would ever stay in 1 place and not lose control.  He has an ego as big or bigger than Jerry Jones.  And ego is the reason Jerry Jones will never admit he himself has poisoned his own team. Let's not forget that Jimmy Johnson was the "genius" that said Michael Irvin was a mistake to be taken where he was and wanted desperately to get rid of Aikman for Steve Walsh

Jimmy was the right coach at the right time. But him & Jerry were toxic together. I put the blame 50:50 on their breakup.  No coach is going to keep his job when he constantly berates and belittles the owner publicly.  But saying that...…..it took the absolute football stupidity of Jerry Jones to break up what he had.  Brilliant owner with ZERO player evaluation capability.

But with the Boyz it was polar opposite. OL Jimmy J got players like Leon Lett, Tank Johnson (no relation), and Packman Jones( no relation to Jerry.) He added some others that wasn't quite as quality of character but theyz didn't stay long. I really feels Mike Irvin and Charles Haley set good examples back then too. Guy at El Guapo restaurant told me old Haley wrote the Roots movie about the slave trade. Educational! Tru-Up

• LOL! 1

22 minutes ago, Doomer said:

But with the Boyz it was polar opposite. OL Jimmy J got players like Leon Lett, Tank Johnson (no relation), and Packman Jones( no relation to Jerry.) He added some others that wasn't quite as quality of character but theyz didn't stay long. I really feels Mike Irvin and Charles Haley set good examples back then too. Guy at El Guapo restaurant told me old Haley wrote the Roots movie about the slave trade. Educational! Tru-Up

Wrong Haley, Doomer. But possibly related. lol

• LOL! 1

20 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

The only reason I want dallas to win is so they can come to the Dome.  I bet my house the results are far different than last game. It will be the cowboys Superbowl then they can take their tails fishing while the Black&Gold go win another  🏆.

Dang Jasper dawg, you got quite a response from your post. Must be a lot of Cowboys fans on here :thumbsup:(hee hee). At least we can agree on the two favorite high school teams we like. By the way, if you don't yet have the book "once an eagle", you outta get one I've had a blast reading the history of the town, and team. A lot of old timers I knew and worked with over the years, were a part of their history.

32 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

There is speculation in the sports media but unless the Cowboys get embarrassed I can't see Jerry making a change at HC. 

Agreed, I think that is just media hype. They like nothing more than a controversy. If there Isn't one ,they'll start one real or not. Jerra' loves him some Jason Garrett. Poor old Wade Phillips was no more than a place holder for Jones until Garrett could get out of his contract at the time, and gain a little more experience. At least that's my take.

6 hours ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Dang Jasper dawg, you got quite a response from your post. Must be a lot of Cowboys fans on here :thumbsup:(hee hee). At least we can agree on the two favorite high school teams we like. By the way, if you don't yet have the book "once an eagle", you outta get one I've had a blast reading the history of the town, and team. A lot of old timers I knew and worked with over the years, were a part of their history.

Yes I do want  to get a copy of  it. Where in town can i get one? 

13 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

Yes I do want  to get a copy of  it. Where in town can i get one? 

I think they have them at the court house. If not call the Newton County News, they'll know. My daughter-in-law got ours. If you have any trouble, let me know and I'll ask her.