Aggies 2019 Thread

Stoney

On 10/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, WETSU said:

None of that will matter without some offensive line help, which doesn’t appear to be coming with how recruiting is looking. Henson has been an absolutely horrible hire so far. The offensive line is far worse this year despite returning everyone but McCoy and the recruiting is looking very bleak as they have missed on so many guys in 2020 class. The skill position players will be better next season, but the offensive line could be a disaster. 

Need to give Kenyon Green a shot at tackle. The tackles are looking so bad. 

Not being able to land an a&m legacy that's a high rated Tackle would be a bad look for Henson.  Kid from Athens, Hayes.

I don't think Foster is even a sure thing and Donovan Jackson is trending Texas and Ohio State.

It just looks like the majority of the roster/recruiting takes are interior guys and not much for Tackles.  Not all Hensons fault on that.  4 current OL takes are all Guard/Center prospects.

Whatever happened to Colton Blanton?  

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What's that supposed to mean? Lol

Well I didn't watch much of the game, but from what I read on here it didn't sound like you guys did very well. So it just seemed odd stating the Alabama game was a good game recruiting wise. Also, I just like posted goofy gifs and memes a lot.

If I was a skill position guy or a lineman who attended the Bama game my first thought is “Holy crud, I can probably get major playing time if some of these guys playing are my competition.” Williams and Richardson are getting serious time at safety over older guys. Ainias Smith arguably is the best playmaker on the offense. Not trying to speak for Johnny but I know that’s my take.

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Well I didn't watch much of the game, but from what I read on here it didn't sound like you guys did very well. So it just seemed odd stating the Alabama game was a good game recruiting wise. Also, I just like posted goofy gifs and memes a lot.

What happened with the Bama game is that the team played pretty hard and the coaches had a pretty good gameplan (other than Special Teams), but Bama made a lot of big plays, as they will. A&M obviously didn't have the talent to keep up with them. Hoping that changes. 

But yeah, I was surprised when I heard that it was good for recruiting... Though the Bama game usually is because it's an electric atmosphere. 

• Thumbs Down 2

5 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Recruits don’t just care about wins and losses in games they visit. They want to have a good time. Kyle field was packed and was loud for most the of game despite the score. It was a solid experience. Plus A&M did just enough things well that the pitch “we are competing, we just need you to be that difference maker that turns this game around” looked believable and recruits can actually see themselves being that guy. Plus lots of commits were in town in the noncommitted guys ears so that always helps. 

Recruiting clearly isn’t just about wins and losses. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Recruits don’t just care about wins and losses in games they visit. They want to have a good time. Kyle field was packed and was loud for most the of game despite the score. It was a solid experience. Plus A&M did just enough things well that the pitch “we are competing, we just need you to be that difference maker that turns this game around” looked believable and recruits can actually see themselves being that guy. Plus lots of commits were in town in the noncommitted guys ears so that always helps. 

Recruiting clearly isn’t just about wins and losses. 

If it was only about wins and losses, we would have never made it out of the Charlie Strong Era.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, WETSU said:

I think he honestly is one of the most arrogant coaches in the business. He probably looks at them and blames them for everything that happened in college station and takes zero credit for his handling of the issue. 

I also think he gets drunk every night while laughing about how much money he essentially stole from A&M after they gave him that contract. Sumlin use to be a good coach, but after his dad passed while he was at A&M I think he literally lost all desire to even attempt to be a good coach or even a good man for that matter. I use to think Sumlin had a future, but he has been very disappointing. Not the results so much as his attitude and his drive just basically vanishing. 

He was swaggin’ - 🤦‍♂️

On 10/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, WETSU said:

I think he honestly is one of the most arrogant coaches in the business. He probably looks at them and blames them for everything that happened in college station and takes zero credit for his handling of the issue. 

I also think he gets drunk every night while laughing about how much money he essentially stole from A&M after they gave him that contract. Sumlin use to be a good coach, but after his dad passed while he was at A&M I think he literally lost all desire to even attempt to be a good coach or even a good man for that matter. I use to think Sumlin had a future, but he has been very disappointing. Not the results so much as his attitude and his drive just basically vanishing. 

I highly disagree with a lot of this. 

1. I do think he handled things poorly instead of just saying, "Kyle Allen is hurt, we're starting someone else", he said, "We're opening the QB position up" in a way that framed it as Kyler winning it instead of him being made QB by default/injury. That said, both QBs had parents meddling and were cancerous to the locker room. Both shouldn't have been "run off", but one or the other, definitely. 

2. He didn't "steal" anything from A&M. He had early success and negotiated a better salary. If you want, blame the idiot regents who approved his better salary (one of them even drunkenly ranted about how they sat by and watched it happen), the stand-in AD who approved it, or anyone else. Don't blame him or his agent for getting more money. He's not a "bad man" for that. 

3. He had one of the highest winning percentages in our history. Higher than Sherrill, higher than Bryant, and just under RC. And he's doing alright at Arizona. He's not a BAD coach. Maybe not championship caliber, but not bad either. I don't wish him ill will. His ex-wife, on the other hand..... 

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I highly disagree with a lot of this. 

1. I do think he handled things poorly instead of just saying, "Kyle Allen is hurt, we're starting someone else", he said, "We're opening the QB position up" in a way that framed it as Kyler winning it instead of him being made QB by default/injury. That said, both QBs had parents meddling and were cancerous to the locker room. Both shouldn't have been "run off", but one or the other, definitely. 

2. He didn't "steal" anything from A&M. He had early success and negotiated a better salary. If you want, blame the idiot regents who approved his better salary (one of them even drunkenly ranted about how they sat by and watched it happen), the stand-in AD who approved it, or anyone else. Don't blame him or his agent for getting more money. He's not a "bad man" for that. 

3. He had one of the highest winning percentages in our history. Higher than Sherrill, higher than Bryant, and just under RC. And he's doing alright at Arizona. He's not a BAD coach. Maybe not championship caliber, but not bad either. I don't wish him ill will. His ex-wife, on the other hand..... 

I don’t disagree with your side either, but I think he did get lazy at A&M. That’s what I mean by stealing money. I think he got lazy in recruiting, I think he got lazy in game planning, and I think he got lazy in how he handled himself. Just look at pictures from the day he started at A&M until the day he finished. Dude put on some bad weight. I just think he mailed it in the last few years in several areas and I have a problem with that at this level. I don’t blame him for the contract, but I do blame him for what he did once he got it. Imo it wasn’t enough. But like you pointed out, I also have a problem with the knee jerk reaction to give him that deal. But if they didn’t, he probably would have been at USC or the nfl...

The schedule at Arizona is also not near what he was seeing at A&M so I’m not surprised he’s doing decent. 

And I know he had a high winning percentage compared to others at A&M. But that doesn’t mean much to me. What others did at A&M has nothing to do with what he was doing. 

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Larry Pryor has left the program. Derrick Tucker will redshirt. And what the heck is going on with Rooney Elam?

I’m almost positive Elam has a legal issue going on that is still under investigation. He’s not suspended or injured, but jimbo isn’t playing him for some reason. My belief is that reason is there are some sort of allegations that Jimbo doesn’t know the truth of and is waiting until the facts come out. Is this possibly a sexual misconduct type thing? Idk... 

Tucker will be gone after this year which isn’t a surprise. Pryor being gone is. He cannot transfer anywhere as he’s a senior who played more than the RS rule will allow. So basically he’s choosing for his career to be over. Maybe that’s because the season isn’t going to end in a title, he knows he has no future in the game, and he’s tired of the grind for a mediocre final season. I disagree with his decision, but I can see how for someone who already has their degree could easily make the decision to drop this and start his career elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I’m really torn on Monds performance this past week. In many ways, A&M absolutely doesn’t win without him. He may not be vocal but he is as persistent as any qb in the country and just a really tough guy. You get his absolute best effort every game and many QBs would have caved under the hits he’s taken the last few weeks. 

But on the flip side of that, I rewatched the game and he misses so many opportunities. Guys running downfield he just doesn’t see then takes a sack when he had an open guy. Taking the wrong steps in the pocket or bailing too early and running hisself out of the play or taking a sack he could have avoided. He just cannot stretch the field at all. Teams can play 10 guys inside 15 yards of the LOS at all times and he can’t make the throw to open them up. While he saves the offense at times, he also extremely limits the offense. Its a frustrating combination to watch. A&M May attempt the fewest throws down the field I’ve ever seen. Just cannot do ANYTHING to pressure a defense in any way. Everyone has to perfectly execute all the way down the field 5 yards at a time or the drive stalls. When is the last time we’ve watched A&M get an “easy” td on a big play? 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I’m really torn on Monds performance this past week. In many ways, A&M absolutely doesn’t win without him. He may not be vocal but he is as persistent as any qb in the country and just a really tough guy. You get his absolute best effort every game and many QBs would have caved under the hits he’s taken the last few weeks. 

But on the flip side of that, I rewatched the game and he misses so many opportunities. Guys running downfield he just doesn’t see then takes a sack when he had an open guy. Taking the wrong steps in the pocket or bailing too early and running hisself out of the play or taking a sack he could have avoided. He just cannot stretch the field at all. Teams can play 10 guys inside 15 yards of the LOS at all times and he can’t make the throw to open them up. While he saves the offense at times, he also extremely limits the offense. Its a frustrating combination to watch. A&M May attempt the fewest throws down the field I’ve ever seen. Just cannot do ANYTHING to pressure a defense in any way. Everyone has to perfectly execute all the way down the field 5 yards at a time or the drive stalls. When is the last time we’ve watched A&M get an “easy” td on a big play? 

Come on WETSU.  Keep coming and moving forward.  You are almost around the corner with your thoughts on Mond.  A couple of more steps and you will fully be in your second paragraph.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I'm not here to disagree or try and discredit anything you just said. But what I do want all fans to remember is the angle of the game. We've got one of the best views of the game when we watch it on TV; a view second only to the press box view depending on the stadium. Monds has played against some teams with some big boys up front (Alabama, Auburn, Clemson & even 'Ole Miss). That view behind your O-line, the rushing D-line, and the LBs dropping or blitzing makes things very difficult for a QB. I can only wonder what Monds is reading on some of these open routes he's missing. If he's reading a safety or corner, he should be able to see them. Maybe he's getting a little jumpy from being hit. The longer he looks into the back end of the defense, the longer he goes without knowing if someone is about to hit him for a sack.

I'll go back to what I stated over a month ago. I think A&M needs to move the pocket for Monds to take some pressure off the OLine. This also gives Monds the ability to run the football. He doesn't have to take a hit; he can run out of bounds or slide.