Aggies 2019 Thread

Stoney

It always seems weird to me that a kid chooses to be part of a class where he’s the 4th or 5th member of a position group. I remember something was mentioned online last week about Saban suspending a kid over missing class. You wait a little bit and Scooby enters the transfer portal. I guess he got another nail stuck in his tire and had to miss class?

Starting to look like shepherd will be transferring to A&M. This is comical to me.  This kids recruitment could have gone either way but I think his girlfriend at Texas sort of clinched that for them. I’m not sure what that does for A&Ms numbers but I think it would be a good addition. A&M needs to tackles in a bad way. Hope to see him and Green holding down the spots in 2021. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Starting to look like shepherd will be transferring to A&M. This is comical to me.  This kids recruitment could have gone either way but I think his girlfriend at Texas sort of clinched that for them. I’m not sure what that does for A&Ms numbers but I think it would be a good addition. A&M needs to tackles in a bad way. Hope to see him and Green holding down the spots in 2021. 

I’ll take Shepherd. With the way the line recruiting has gone it seems to have leaned a little heavier on the interior. Shepherd redshirts in 2020 and should slide into a starting spot in 2021.

I'm telling you... these guys go to these schools to "win" and to "be a part of something special".  Then they get there and their family and friends remind them of how bad ass they were in high school and how they made varsity as a freshman and how they should be doing that now so they can go pro...  These kids didn't go to a school like I did where you had to play JV for a year before you made varsity.  We had several D1 players when I graduated Marshall, all of them played on the 9th grade team as a freshman despite them being talented enough to contribute on varsity as a freshman.  Not a single one of them transferred from their schools.  Now this was 1999... so clearly a lot has changed in 20 years, but unless we start making kids earn playing time again instead of just giving it to them on a silver platter, this trend will continue to get worse.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I'm telling you... these guys go to these schools to "win" and to "be a part of something special".  Then they get there and their family and friends remind them of how bad they were in high school and how they made varsity as a freshman and how they should be doing that now so they can go pro...  These kids didn't go to a school like I did where you had to play JV for a year before you made varsity.  We had several D1 players when I graduated Marshall, all of them played on the 9th grade team as a freshman despite them being talented enough to contribute on varsity as a freshman.  Not a single one of them transferred from their schools.  Now this was 1999... so clearly a lot has changed in 20 years, but unless we start making kids earn playing time again instead of just giving it to them on a silver platter, this trend will continue to get worse.

The transfer portal only magnifies the problem. The days of a kid fighting is way through the program are nearly over. Which oddly, I think is both good and bad for the game. It’s bad because it just is not fun seeing a kid leave a school after 1 semester because he didn’t start ahead of a junior. It’s good because I think, long term, you’re about to start seeing more parity because of it. Making it easier for kids to leave schools will just make it harder to “stack” talent and depth. A kid may go to Bama and not start day 1 and then transfer to say Baylor and start after sitting a year. What I think is about to happen long term is you’re going to see the depth gap of the elite teams to the good teams shrink. The elite coaches will be the ones who can hold onto their talent and develop more than the days of just recruiting the top guys. 

Side note, to me that’s why dabo is better than saban right now. Dabo is better at holding onto his guys and even getting them to stick around for a senior year rather then jumping pro. 

34 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I read that Shepherd was headed to CollegeStation.   Any truth?  If so good luck to you guys

Looks like it. Which is crazy... This was clearly a tough decision for him back when he made it. I don’t know why he didn’t just make this decision to begin with. 

Devon Achane commits to A&M. Read a little of his interview earlier in the week. Mentioned how he’d play a little running back, spread out to WR some and be a return guy. How much more weight can you put on 170 pounds and keep that explosiveness? Can’t wait to find out.

Somebody please tell me these are designed handoffs to Spiller and not read options. Please!!! Because how and in the heck can a QB see a LB crashing on the RB and hand it off unless it was a designed handoff. Cause surely a JR QB could be able to read the option. Right???

Absolutely designed handoffs. A&M will have to throw the ball today. Everyone keeps saying the rain helps A&M, but I don’t see it. This will be an ugly game for both offenses. If A&M is going to have a chance, it’s in the air and with Mond converting the occasional third down with his legs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Dam Gary it's just the first quarter. He's just about ready to count A&M out. Freaking idiot

Yea. I think he genuinely thinks 10 points will win this game though. Which it might, but it’s way to early too talk that way. 

2 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Dam Gary it's just the first quarter. He's just about ready to count A&M out. Freaking idiot

How he still has a job, especially after last week, is one of life’s great mysteries.