Aggies 2019 Thread

Stoney

9 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

A&M was preseason #12 and Texas was #10. I don't know what all the Aggies lost, but Texas was replacing 8 starters on defense. The lack of expectations from Aggies has zero to do with Texas. The Longhorns just played a pretty good game vs LSU whereas A&M did not.

Aggies May have had the toughest schedule in the nation.  LSU, Bama, Clemson, and Georgia... that UCLA loss is the only one that hurts.

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Texas would donkey stomp a&m ....

How do you come to that conclusion? Lsu games? One was at home and early in the season. I expect Texas would struggle to stop A&M scoring and A&M plays enough to be competitive. A blowout is not likely.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Whoever had us at #12 with our schedule was crazy. And I think that people read a little too much into the sugar bowl win for Texas if they had them at #10. Neither team should've had many expectations this season. Both lost a lot of players and had rough schedules.

Just goes back to preseason rankings being a joke.

Exactly. A&M was never going to win more than 1 at most between their toughest 4 games. They started the season with 4 losses pretty much. 

As far as Texas you’re right too. I’ve never seen a greater overreaction than the one Texas got for beating Georgia. I’ve been saying since July this was a 8-4 type team with potential for 6-6. They could have played Georgia 10 times and lost 9 of them. Perfect storm. Just like how I look at the A&M LSU game. A&M could have played them 10 times and probably would have lost all 10, but only with the perfect scenario could they have looked as poorly as they did last night. Texas isn’t as good as that Georgia win made them appear. A&M isn’t as bad as this s LSU loss makes them appear. That’s football 

• Stinks 1

Kellen Mond’s 2019 season stat rankings against SEC QBs.

Pass attempts- 3rd

pass completions- 2nd

completion %- 6th (61.2%)

passing yards - 3rd

yards per pass attempt- 8th

passing TDs- 5th (19)

INT- 2nd (9)

sacks- 1st (30)

QBR- 7th (131.3)

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Exactly. A&M was never going to win more than 1 at most between their toughest 4 games. They started the season with 4 losses pretty much. 

As far as Texas you’re right too. I’ve never seen a greater overreaction than the one Texas got for beating Georgia. I’ve been saying since July this was a 8-4 type team with potential for 6-6. They could have played Georgia 10 times and lost 9 of them. Perfect storm. Just like how I look at the A&M LSU game. A&M could have played them 10 times and probably would have lost all 10, but only with the perfect scenario could they have looked as poorly as they did last night. Texas isn’t as good as that Georgia win made them appear. A&M isn’t as bad as this s LSU loss makes them appear. That’s football 

So, Texas had a 1 in 10 chance to beat Georgia and they did. A&M had 4 chances this year to rise to the occasion and knock off a team that they had no business beating. They did not.

Texas probably would not either but they did it when they had an opportunity. They at least played LSU and OU close this year too.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Kellen Mond’s 2019 season stat rankings against SEC QBs.

Pass attempts- 3rd

pass completions- 2nd

completion %- 6th (61.2%)

passing yards - 3rd

yards per pass attempt- 8th

passing TDs- 5th (19)

INT- 2nd (9)

sacks- 1st (30)

QBR- 7th (131.3)

This is just one of those guys where numbers do not tell the story. And I’m not sure if it’s because of him or the offensive line or both. 

I do not think Mond is a high upside guy. He’s got some talent but he processing the game slow and has zero ability to hit the deep ball. You win games with guys like him, but you need a running game and a defense. In their 5 losses, A&Ms defense only gave up more than 30 twice. The defense played well enough to win this year. But the running game was nonexistent in all 5 losses, and that’s where a guy like Mond cost you. He’s not going to win games against elite teams by himself. Some QBs can, he’s not one of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

So, Texas had a 1 in 10 chance to beat Georgia and they did. A&M had 4 chances this year to rise to the occasion and knock off a team that they had no business beating. They did not.

Texas probably would not either but they did it when they had an opportunity. They at least played LSU and OU close this year too.

Winning 1 game be Georgia on a neutral field with a month to prepare and A&M playing 3 top 5 teams on the road during a season are not the same thing. Your argument is just dumb. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Winning 1 game be Georgia on a neutral field with a month to prepare and A&M playing 3 top 5 teams on the road during a season are not the same thing. Your argument is just dumb. 

Another classic closing sentence from WETSU when in disagreement.

News flash: upsets not  allowed on road games 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is just one of those guys where numbers do not tell the story. And I’m not sure if it’s because of him or the offensive line or both. 

I do not think Mond is a high upside guy. He’s got some talent but he processing the game slow and has zero ability to hit the deep ball. You win games with guys like him, but you need a running game and a defense. In their 5 losses, A&Ms defense only gave up more than 30 twice. The defense played well enough to win this year. But the running game was nonexistent in all 5 losses, and that’s where a guy like Mond cost you. He’s not going to win games against elite teams by himself. Some QBs can, he’s not one of them. 

He’s not accurate. He’s pocket presence is bad. The pass attempts, completions and yards is mainly from playing behind and trying to play catch up. You have to have a run game that works with him under center because he doesn’t put the fear in a defense with his arm. 

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

How do you come to that conclusion? Lsu games? One was at home and early in the season. I expect Texas would struggle to stop A&M scoring and A&M plays enough to be competitive. A blowout is not likely.

Based on the entire season of both teams, there is no doubt in my mind that Texas is the superior team on both sides of the ball.  I doubt a&m could keep it very close especially with a healthy Longhorn secondary ....

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

7 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Based on the entire season of both teams, there is no doubt in my mind that Texas is the superior team on both sides of the ball.  I doubt a&m could keep it very close especially with a healthy Longhorn secondary ....

😂😂

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I would too, but what I am saying is that the best Mond will be is ward.

The worst part about his down season, it ensures he will not be entering the draft and will be coming back to College Station for another year of development.

24 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yep I got that screwed up.  Their 5 losses are all to teams that lived in the top 10 this year.  That’s a tough schedule to face with a bad QB

Yea it really is. 

I don’t know that Mond is a bad QB, he’s just not a difference maker. If you have better talent than your opponent and they can run the ball he’s fine. But he’s not going to win games for you. 

4 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

While I don't think you're dumb, the games and situations you're comparing are apples to oranges. Texas played a Georgia team who had been left out of the playoffs, who didn't care (and had key players sitting out because they didn't care), and who made tons of unforced mistakes. 

Demonstrably, those who put stock in that game and ranked Texas highly this year were extremely disappointed. 

Meanwhile, of the teams that beat A&M, every one of them except  maybe Auburn (who were still undefeated) were competing for a spot in the playoffs at that time.

That's not to take anything away from Texas and their win- at the end of the day they went and won the game. But to put too much stock into that game was wrong, and not comparable to A&M losing games this year. 

32 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yep I got that screwed up.  Their 5 losses are all to teams that lived in the top 10 this year.  That’s a tough schedule to face with a bad QB

I really think our bigger problem was our offensive line. A lot of Mond's mistakes were because he was running for his life, sometimes just after receiving the snap. 

Mond had a combined 26 TDs with only 9 INTs. His completion percentage was right at 61% (an NFL QB Coach once told me he looks for guys to be at about 62%). Other than last night, where he DID have a horrible game, I didn't think he was that bad. He wasn't Johnny Manziel, but he was far from the reason we lost the games we did.