Aggies 2019 Thread

Stoney

34 minutes ago, Stoney said:

So @WETSU @Nick2011 @JohnnyFootball think Corbin will come out of the portal? Spiller, Richardson, Achane and Jackson could probably handle the carries in 2020. See what we could land in 2021.

A&M will push for Corbin to return, but I truly think Spiller and Achane are better backs. I’m not sure how Corbin feels about fighting for his spot but he will be in for a battle. 

4* LB Edgerrin Cooper reportedly sent in his NLI tonight but won’t announce until January 4th at the All American Bowl. Just keep building up that defense. We could finally SEC level depth on that side of that ball. White, Russell, Brown, Lee, Doyle, Cooper. Not a bad crew of youngsters.

1 hour ago, Nick2011 said:

After seeing Devon Achane play live today, I couldn’t be more excited that he’s going to be an Aggie next year. He might be the best player in this recruiting class for the Aggies 👍

He’s small, but he’s a special game breaking talent. He won’t hold up for 25 carries a game between the tackles. But his speed is truly elite. He will be one of the fastest players in the country next year. A&M hasn’t had a player like this in some time. He makes Kirk look average athletically. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

He’s small, but he’s a special game breaking talent. He won’t hold up for 25 carries a game between the tackles. But his speed is truly elite. He will be one of the fastest players in the country next year. A&M hasn’t had a player like this in some time. He makes Kirk look average athletically. 

I'm liking him better than Evans now. The heck with that baggage that comes with Evans.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm liking him better than Evans now. The heck with that baggage that comes with Evans.

You know Saban wouldn't put up with that and a lesser extent I believe Ed O and Fisher would limit his playing time. My opinion Georgia would be ok with him lol.

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

It will be interesting to see how he’s used in the offense. I can’t remember Jimbo having a guy like him in his previous offenses. 

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

It will be interesting to see how he’s used in the offense. I can’t remember Jimbo having a guy like him in his previous offenses. 

Yea i am interested as well. Jimbo has traditionally been a 1 back guy who just brings in a second guy for spells. It will be interesting to see how he handles having a guy that truly needs 12-15 touches a game (a lot will be through the air as well) and game plan that in along with his 1 back guy. 

I think you’ll see a lot of Achane late in the second quarter and the 4th quarter. He’s a guy that when the defense isn’t on fresh legs can absolutely house it every time he touches it. You’ll also see lots of formations with him and spiller in too I believe. We already saw it this year a little but next year expect to see some 22 personnel. Cupp, Wydermeyer, Spiller and Achane. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

Can you imagine getting pounded with Spiller and Richardson (220,240 pounds) and then bringing in Achane? Or getting Spiller and Achane on the field at the same time? Same backfield, Achane in the slot? This offense was very point A to point B, not a lot of yards after catch/carry. That should change in 2020. 

The team hasn’t played great, but it’s been nice seeing how Jimbo plans to use Achane. Smith has had quite a few touches from the backfield and it has looked natural in the offense. Even a couple of good plays out of 2 back sets with spiller in as well. Achane is a whole extra gear above Smith so I’m very excited to see what he can do. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Haynes, but I think Mond's experience gives him the job. With better receivers he'll do better. 

Give me guys like Smith and Achane that can make plays after the ball gets in their hands. Hopefully Mond can do that after his third year in Jimbo’s system. Otherwise, Calzada will be in his second year. Kid seems to have arm talent but does he have the between the ears to use it?  Just get Haynes there in the Spring, have him start learning the system and don’t let him off the bench until 2021.

8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Give me guys like Smith and Achane that can make plays after the ball gets in their hands. Hopefully Mond can do that after his third year in Jimbo’s system. Otherwise, Calzada will be in his second year. Kid seems to have arm talent but does he have the between the ears to use it?  Just get Haynes there in the Spring, have him start learning the system and don’t let him off the bench until 2021.

Calzada isn't some world beater that some people think he is. He doesn't have the legs Mond does that were a difference in the ballgame tonight.

Demas will be there too, hopefully getting playing time sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Calzada isn't some world beater that some people think he is. He doesn't have the legs Mond does that were a difference in the ballgame tonight.

Demas will be there too, hopefully getting playing time sooner rather than later.

Lack of consistency is his downfall. If jimbo would let Mond use him like that as a runner he would be much better off. Its not all him the oline does him no favors. The backup is ususally the most popular when the starter isn't the best.