Aggies 2019 Thread

Stoney

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Major Burns has decommited. 

Expected once LSU offered. It’s crazy that these kids commit so early knowing full well they wanted that LSU offer. When A&M found him he didn’t have any offers and after he committed and camped he blew up in terms of offers and attention. Great find by the A&M staff before everyone else, but once LSU came calling it was over. Good luck to the kid. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, WETSU said:

Expected once LSU offered. It’s crazy that these kids commit so early knowing full well they wanted that LSU offer. When A&M found him he didn’t have any offers and after he committed and camped he blew up in terms of offers and attention. Great find by the A&M staff before everyone else, but once LSU came calling it was over. Good luck to the kid. 

A&M should have held out.  Offered too soon.  It’s almost “whoever gets the last visit” with a lot of these kids

12 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

A&M should have held out.  Offered too soon.  It’s almost “whoever gets the last visit” with a lot of these kids

No I think when it comes to these LA kids, you have to get on them before LSU or it’s over. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:22 PM, Valhalla said:

And even then $omething draws them back to LSU before it’s all said and done.

I wonder who the bagman is for Riley that Stoopes left for him in his will :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 2

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

It still baffles me how Texas A&M's basketball program fell so badly in the SEC.

It was the coach. Kennedy has been checked out since the minute he was hired at A&M. He literally showed no emotion and honestly held the team back imo. But he’s a good Christian man and has a disease and he’s a good ole boy so A&M extended him a while back when he should have been fired 3-4 years ago. 

The way they handled Kennedy is literally worse than they way they handled Sumlin his contract IMO. 

20 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It was the coach. Kennedy has been checked out since the minute he was hired at A&M. He literally showed no emotion and honestly held the team back imo. But he’s a good Christian man and has a disease and he’s a good ole boy so A&M extended him a while back when he should have been fired 3-4 years ago. 

The way they handled Kennedy is literally worse than they way they handled Sumlin his contract IMO. 

I mean he recruited talent that got him to the Sweet 16 (the furthest A&M has ever been) TWICE. And he won a conference championship for the first time in 2 decades. He didn't develop players, nor have the Xs and Os, but it wasn't like we were some basketball power that fell off the map. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean he recruited talent that got him to the Sweet 16 (the furthest A&M has ever been) TWICE. And he won a conference championship for the first time in 2 decades. He didn't develop players, nor have the Xs and Os, but it wasn't like we were some basketball power that fell off the map. 

That's true. 

I just remember A&M being more competitive in the Big 12 which is typically a tougher basketball conference than the SEC.

56 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Those sweet 16 teams made it despite him. Hell one of them was probably final 4 level good if he would have just stayed home on game day and let the team coach itself in the sweet 16 matchup. Kennedy was just not a good coach in the slightest. Yes A&M wasn’t a basketball power or anything, but that’s still no excuse to hold onto a lame duck coach just because he’s a good guy. 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It still baffles me how Texas A&M's basketball program fell so badly in the SEC.

It's called inexperience and injuries, what was LSU's success on the court this season will be the same for A&M next season, btw Savion Flagg will be the SEC player of the year next season if he returns. 

41 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

It's called inexperience and injuries, what was LSU's success on the court this season will be the same for A&M next season, btw Savion Flagg will be the SEC player of the year next season if he returns. 

Idk about that. But I hope so! 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Those sweet 16 teams made it despite him. Hell one of them was probably final 4 level good if he would have just stayed home on game day and let the team coach itself in the sweet 16 matchup. Kennedy was just not a good coach in the slightest. Yes A&M wasn’t a basketball power or anything, but that’s still no excuse to hold onto a lame duck coach just because he’s a good guy. 

Despite him? He built those teams lmao! 

That "lame duck" coach is the most successful we've ever had. 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Despite him? He built those teams lmao! 

That "lame duck" coach is the most successful we've ever had. 

Those teams were built by his recruiting I guess. But I don’t believe he landed studs because of his recruiting prowess. I think those teams were built because those kids wanted to come to A&M imo. 

I know he achieved two sweet 16s and that’s more than A&Ms ever done, but he was far from the best coach A&M has ever had imo. There’s only been one time where I feel like his team achieved enough and that was coincidently the year they beat UNC in the second round. Of course they promptly blew that and lost the next round, but I don’t look at what A&M accomplished under Kennedy and think “wow this guy is a great coach.” I think it was more of “A&M has been so bad at basketball for decades that even this coach is managing to exceed their normal production.” 

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Those teams were built by his recruiting I guess. But I don’t believe he landed studs because of his recruiting prowess. I think those teams were built because those kids wanted to come to A&M imo. 

I know he achieved two sweet 16s and that’s more than A&Ms ever done, but he was far from the best coach A&M has ever had imo. There’s only been one time where I feel like his team achieved enough and that was coincidently the year they beat UNC in the second round. Of course they promptly blew that and lost the next round, but I don’t look at what A&M accomplished under Kennedy and think “wow this guy is a great coach.” I think it was more of “A&M has been so bad at basketball for decades that even this coach is managing to exceed their normal production.”  

1. That's weird that he just happened to get a lot of Sweet 16 caliber players who wanted to come here already. Strange how that hasn't happened before. 

2. That's fair... From a numbers standpoint, no other coach got us to 2 Sweet 16s. Was Turgeon better? He got to the tournament and won a game every year for like 4 years straight, but always got beat in the second round. 

3. Regardless, I'm excited for Coach Williams.... Just don't see the point in dancing on Kennedy's grave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

1. That's weird that he just happened to get a lot of Sweet 16 caliber players who wanted to come here already. Strange how that hasn't happened before. 

2. That's fair... From a numbers standpoint, no other coach got us to 2 Sweet 16s. Was Turgeon better? He got to the tournament and won a game every year for like 4 years straight, but always got beat in the second round. 

3. Regardless, I'm excited for Coach Williams.... Just don't see the point in dancing on Kennedy's grave. 

I’m not dancing on the grave. The guy asked why A&M declined and I told him it was coaching imo. 

We could have similar arguments over RC. 

That's fair, although "But he’s a good Christian man and has a disease and he’s a good ole boy " sounds pretty sarcastic. I'd argue A&M didn't really "decline" per se. A&M never did all that well in the Big XII and then we turned and won the SEC. We changed from "Go to tournament yearly" into "Go to tournament every other year and go a few rounds deeper". Not really declining outside of BK's first few years . 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's fair, although "But he’s a good Christian man and has a disease and he’s a good ole boy " sounds pretty sarcastic. I'd argue A&M didn't really "decline" per se. A&M never did all that well in the Big XII and then we turned and won the SEC. We changed from "Go to tournament yearly" into "Go to tournament every other year and go a few rounds deeper". Not really declining outside of BK's first few years . 

That’s fair. I guess I just have watched the last couple of years and thought that over watching them an entire season, even the sweet 16 teams underachieved. It’s like he would win a few games then have a few games where he looked like he was asleep at the wheel. I do think his extremely likable personality though was a factor in why he was around as long as he was. I truly believe had he been a jerk A&M would have fired him 2-3 years ago. That’s why I make the good man reference.