Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

On 1/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, Valhalla said:

The writing was on the wall for that one. 

Oklahoma needed a fresh start in the secondary.

I'm seeing too many Sooner fans bemoaning the loss of Cooks as a recruiter...  Val, can you help me out? Exactly who has Cooks brought into the program that has gone on to success at the next level? 

Seems to me that we get a lot of talented but woefully undersized defensive backs who get manhandled by taller stronger wideouts, and never turn their heads around to find the football. Has Cooks ever recruited an All-Big XII defensive back? NFL draft pick defensive back?

Am I missing something?

Top 10 Greatest Programs per the UPI/Coaches Polls:|
#1: Oklahoma 
#2: Ohio State
#3: Alabama 
#4: Michigan 
#5: Nebraska 
#6: USC
#7: Texas
#8: Penn State
#9: Notre Dame
#10: Florida State

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2019 at 10:22 AM, AKA said:

I'm seeing too many Sooner fans bemoaning the loss of Cooks as a recruiter...  Val, can you help me out? Exactly who has Cooks brought into the program that has gone on to success at the next level? 

Seems to me that we get a lot of talented but woefully undersized defensive backs who get manhandled by taller stronger wideouts, and never turn their heads around to find the football. Has Cooks ever recruited an All-Big XII defensive back? NFL draft pick defensive back?

Am I missing something?

Jeremiah Criddell (4 star)
Woodi Washington (4 star)
Jaden Davis (4 star)
Jamal Morris (4 star)
Ty DeArman ( 3 star)

Brendan Radley-Hiles (4 star)
Miguel Edwards (3 star)
Starrland Baldwin (3 star)
Patrick Fields (3 star)
Delarrin Turner-Yell (3 star)

Justin Broiles (4 star)
Robert Barnes (4 star)
Tre Brown (4 star)
Ryan Jones (4 star)
Tre Norwood (3 star)

Jordan Parker (4 star)
Parrish Cobb (4 star)
Chanse Sylvie (3 star)
Parnell Motley ( 3 star) (Recruited as WR)

These are the DBs that have signed with Oklahoma while Cook has been the DB coach at Oklahoma.

Recruiting in general improved while he was at Oklahoma. I don't know how big of a part he played in that overall, but I do know that DB development under him has been terrible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Reports have Kyler Murray telling the A’s for $15m he will skip the NFL draft.

Leverage! 

From Jeff Passan: Major League Baseball would waive a rule that prevents teams from giving major league contracts to recently drafted players if Kyler Murray and the Oakland A's can strike a deal that would have him choose baseball over football, league sources told ESPN.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, Valhalla said:

Recruiting in general improved while he was at Oklahoma. I don't know how big of a part he played in that overall, but I do know that DB development under him has been terrible.

This. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

He's one of Grinch's guys, right? That's important. Grinch needs as much ownership of the D as possible. 

Grinch is the nephew of former MU coach Gary Pinkel and was a graduate assistant at Missouri alongside Odom. The two worked together at Washington State when Grinch was the Cougars’ defensive coordinator and Odom was an analyst.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

Grinch is the nephew of former MU coach Gary Pinkel and was a graduate assistant at Missouri alongside Odom. The two worked together at Washington State when Grinch was the Cougars’ defensive coordinator and Odom was an analyst.

RG0BS1U.gif

I don't mind the "buddy hire," so long as it's working...   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

RG0BS1U.gif

I don't mind the "buddy hire," so long as it's working...   

From my experience from religiously following this stuff along with being an HS coach myself it that coaching jobs are mostly about "who you know" or "who knows you".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

From my experience from religiously following this stuff along with being an HS coach myself it that coaching jobs are mostly about "who you know" or "who knows you".

Hey, I can't say nothing. If not for the Good Ol' Boy Network I wouldn't have my current gig.    :D  

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

So the A's make a deal with Kyler that if he signs with them, they will let him play 1 more year of football. 

Now, after that year, he's using it against them? I get that he has leverage, but it went from choosing the sport he loves to play to who is going to give him more money. Idk... that's kinda doing the A's dirty imo.

OU is the best choice for Jalen Hurts (The Birmingham News

Lincoln Riley started recruiting Jalen Hurts long before he hopped feet first into the NCAA transfer portal.

Riley didn’t do anything wrong. It wasn’t overt, or against the rules. It was more like flirting from afar, but it was recruiting all the same.

Less than a week after Hurts’ thrilling come-from-behind victory against Georgia in the SEC championship game, Oklahoma’s coach sent a strong message to Alabama’s quarterback about his importance to the game of football. The venue was the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, and the occasion was a news conference kicking off the weeks-long buildup of the College Football Playoff. The presser included all four coaches of the playoff participants.

Oklahoma was matched up with Alabama in the semifinals, and Riley was asked a question about Alabama’s “X-factor.”

“The thing I’ve seen so far, and I don’t want to act like an expert on that program I’m not in those walls day to day,” Riley said, “but you see the unselfishness in that program. The most obvious notable example is Jalen Hurts. How he handled that entire situation...Every kid, every college football player in the country, every young football player out there, every six-year-old getting ready to play the game ought to see that story. Because we need more guys like him.”

Emphasis on “we need more guys like him.”

Alabama coach Nick Saban stared at Riley intently as the opposing coach gushed over his backup quarterback.

Read the whole article.