Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

I know a small (but vocal) contingent of Sooner fans were wringing their hands about this, but I'm not sure it's that much of an issue.

Riley has demonstrated an aptitude for tailoring his offense around his personnel, not forcing the personnel to conform to a system: 
Lincoln Riley: No offensive changes necessary for Jalen Hurts

Now that he's been able to watch Jalen Hurts orchestrate his play-making abilities at quarterback within the Oklahoma offense throughout the spring, Sooners coach Lincoln Riley sees no drop-off in terms of talent or how his playbook will be called this season coming off back-to-back Heisman winners at the position.

“All of the previous (quarterbacks) had things they liked and didn’t like," Riley said this week during an interview with Dennis and Cowlishaw on ESPN Dallas 103.3. "I think every quarterback on earth has that. Baker (Mayfield) and Kyler (Murray) were different skill sets and we could do a lot with them. If Jalen does win the starting job from everything I’ve seen, I’m not sure there’s anything we’ve done before I wouldn’t do with him.” 

Who are the last two QBs to win a NC for Oklahoma? Josh Huepel and Jamelle Holloway. “J.H.” Who’s the QB for Oklahoma this year? Jalen Hurts. “J.H.” I’m going all in on Boomer Sooner this year.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Who are the last two QBs to win a NC for Oklahoma? Josh Huepel and Jamelle Holloway. “J.H.” Who’s the QB for Oklahoma this year? Jalen Hurts. “J.H.” I’m going all in on Boomer Sooner this year.

I knew should have started Joey Hazle over Sam Bradford in the late 2000s.

😆

• LOL! 2

18 hours ago, Stoney said:

I want to know the letters of the starting QBs for Clemson and Alabama last time they won a natty.   :D 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Kind of my thoughts.

If Title IX didn’t do anything to Brooks then I have to seriously doubt any “evidence” that she has.

No report filed with Norman P.D. No complaint filed with Cleveland County DA's office. Title IX investigation closed. Accuser locks her Twitter account. 

It's a non-story. 

The real QB race is between Rattler, Mordecai

Still as all three quarterbacks get reps with the No. 1 offense through the early part of camp, Sooner fans all get a mini preview of what will certainly be the No. 1 storyline in Norman going in the spring and summer of 2020 – the battle between Tanner Mordecai and Spencer Rattler.

For eligibility purposes expect Mordecai to be the No. 2 guy on the depth chart once the season starts, but there’s no doubt coaches are watching how fast Rattler can close the gap and nip at Mordecai’s heels as both players run through fall camp drills.

Mordecai will enter 2020 as a redshirt sophomore with two years of eligibility left, while one would expect Rattler to redshirt freshman next spring barring any unforeseen developments.

I know a lot of OU fans (especially those who don't keep up with TXHSFB) think Rattler is just gonna waltz in and be handed the QB2 job, but I've been high on Mordecai since seeing him up close in the 6A playoffs the year before last. The kid is a gamer and deceptively athletic. It wouldn't surprise me for him to keep Rattler at bay. Just hope we manage to keep them both.

Speaking of... 

Photo album of practice: http://www.soonersports.com/PhotoAlb...B_OEM_ID=31000
Ndz7hBf.png?1

Well, Kyler was a victim of poor o-line play/protection, several dropped passes and frankly his rookie status showed a little last night against the Raiders.  And he will have to get that problem with clapping his hands/false start ironed out, too.

I am still of the opinion that he'll come around, but not sure that he has as good of a supporting cast around him as does Baker.

Speaking of, Baker gets his turn tonight.   I think that Baker is gonna have a very good year!  Not quite so sure about Kyler, though.  His O-line needs to step up to the plate, or KM will be a victim of injury sometime this season...

17 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

What’s y’alls opinion of Spencer Rattler? Watching QB1 on Netflix and he’s in it. 

He's already one of the most talented QB recruits in Sooner history, the question at this point is how much he fulfills his potential. 

My feeling is that he pushes Jalen this season but falls well short of overtaking him. I think he comes in for limited play off the bench and gives some impressive looks, as well as some rookie mistakes. 

This following spring he'll put a lock on QB1 and Tanner Mordecai will transfer to Baylor. 

• Like 1

This following spring he'll put a lock on QB1 and Tanner Mordecai will transfer to Baylor. 

I do not doubt that what you say could turn out to be true, but would hate to see Mordecai transfer to the Bears.  Yeah, I know that he is from Waco, and that, if he transfers, Waco would be the logical move.  Just my thought: ANYwhere but Baylor!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackwellSooner said:

I do not doubt that what you say could turn out to be true, but would hate to see Mordecai transfer to the Bears.  Yeah, I know that he is from Waco, and that, if he transfers, Waco would be the logical move.  Just my thought: ANYwhere but Baylor!

Yeah...  if I'm kinfolk I'm telling him to keep his ### stay put. There's no telling what might happen. There's such a broad spectrum of things that could occur...  Rattler immediately sets the world of fire, wins a Heisman and a Natty then goes pro, guess who's the obvious QB1 to step in? Or, nightmare scenario, Rattle goes down with a season-ending injury, guess who's the obvious starter? 

For kids who go all "Tathan Martell" and transfer portal hop at the first sign of adversity, they're just not seeing the big picture. So much can happen.