Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

1 minute ago, Greezychef said:

Teach me how to think senpai.   

Wellllll.... when a team leads the entire game, wins 49-31, rolls up over 600 yards of offense...  that ain't exactly a struggle. 

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Truth is truth. 

I just don’t see the NFL as that alluring to these big time college coaches.

You have less power and control 

You don’t pick your own players 

The money gap isn’t what I used to be

Less job security 

Preaching to the choir. 

Lincoln can stay in Norman and pick his own retirement date...  or take his game to the NFL, and pray that his owner/GM isn't a sociopath. 

53 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Truth is truth. 

I just don’t see the NFL as that alluring to these big time college coaches.

You have less power and control 

You don’t pick your own players 

The money gap isn’t what I used to be

Less job security 

I agree with all of this but the elephant in the college coaching room is the time and effort put into recruiting. But it has to be tough coaching in the NFL when the head coach's salary probably falls somewhere close to the middle of the player's roster.

7 hours ago, AKA said:

Preaching to the choir. 

Lincoln can stay in Norman and pick his own retirement date...  or take his game to the NFL, and pray that his owner/GM isn't a sociopath. 

True,  but would you want to live in Norman your whole life....

5 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Norman isn't that much different than Bryan/College Station... why not?  As long as he continues to do what he is doing in Norman, his salary will grow there... and 10 years making $1-2 mil less a year than he would in the NFL vs the likely possibility he is fired from an NFL team in 3-4 years is worth it in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Norman isn't that much different than Bryan/College Station... why not?  As long as he continues to do what he is doing in Norman, his salary will grow there... and 10 years making $1-2 mil less a year than he would in the NFL vs the likely possibility he is fired from an NFL team in 3-4 years is worth it in my opinion.

I can’t see the allure of the nfl for a successful college coach. Some franchises expect you to win with the players they give you, there’s too many variables affecting which players you get and which ones you don’t, and too many of the owners are like jerry Jones. If I’m Riley, Saban, or Dabo, the nfl is the furthest thing from my mind. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I can’t see the allure of the nfl for a successful college coach. Some franchises expect you to win with the players they give you, there’s too many variables affecting which players you get and which ones you don’t, and too many of the owners are like jerry Jones. If I’m Riley, Saban, or Dabo, the nfl is the furthest thing from my mind. 

Look at what the NFL did to Saban... he inherited an awful roster and it made him look like a fool.  

A place like the NFL, where the worst team to the best is basically the same difference as Alabama is to Ole Miss, can be rough on any coach.  Literally any team in the NFL can go from worst to first in a year.  Almost impossible in college football because of the foundation you have to build.  And no one builds a better foundation than what Saban and Dabo built at their respective schools.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Meh...  different strokes. I lived in Norman for seven years and absolutely loved it. It's got a homey, small town vibe, but a lotta big city amenities. It's also a short drive to OKC/Tulsa/DFW.

Beats the hell outta living in Detroit, Philadelphia, or any number of other metro areas with their crime and chaos and crumbling infrastructure. 

• Like 2

Just now, AKA said:

Meh...  different strokes. I lived in Norman for seven years and absolutely loved it. It's got a homey, small town vibe, but a lotta big city amenities. It's also a short drive to OKC/Tulsa/DFW.

Beats the hell outta living in Detroit, Philadelphia, or any number of other metro areas with their crime and chaos and crumbling infrastructure. 

People who keep saying “ehh Norman” haven’t been to OKC in the last decade. It has developed and grown a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

For a guy from Muleshoe, Norman's probably a slice of Heaven. 

Sincerely,
A guy from Overton

• Like 1