Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Norman isn't that much different than Bryan/College Station... why not?  As long as he continues to do what he is doing in Norman, his salary will grow there... and 10 years making $1-2 mil less a year than he would in the NFL vs the likely possibility he is fired from an NFL team in 3-4 years is worth it in my opinion.

Exactly! Would you want to live in Bryan your whole life? Come on now.

Edited by eagle34
Adding content
  • LOL! 1

I guess if you are a small town guy Norman isn't bad. Okc has changed quite a bit. I would much rather be there than Bryan. Good luck keeping him. It seems like he gets tons of NFL mentions and usually when there is smoke there is fire. Dont look for him to be in Norman long. If you want to be the best you need to Coach against the best, and the best Coaches and players are in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I guess if you are a small town guy Norman isn't bad. Okc has changed quite a bit. I would much rather be there than Bryan. Good luck keeping him. It seems like he gets tons of NFL mentions and usually when there is smoke there is fire. Dont look for him to be in Norman long. If you want to be the best you need to Coach against the best, and the best Coaches and players are in the NFL.

Maybe so, but it seems like we heard all this same talk about Stoops in the early '00s.

Time will tell... 

Not a Sooners fan, but they looked impressive on offense last night ... Hurts is probably the hardest to defend QB in college football ... if their defense holds up, I can se them playing in the final game this season ... Hurts looked like a stud high school player running through a bunch of jr high kids .... 

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

The best coach is in Tuscaloosa.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:13 AM, trueblue82 said:

Been hearing it about Saban for the last decade. He’s still in Tuscaloosa, another town that the elites thumb their nose at. 

Saban is almost 70 years old. He tried the NFL and found out it was a completely different animal when you dont have superior talent than your competitors. On the other hand, Riley is a young man. Riley is an offensive genius that the NFL craves. 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, Valhalla said:

The best coach is in Tuscaloosa.

Not the best Coach, the best recruiter. You remember when he Coached the Dolphins?

How do y’all feel about your defense? I know they made some dumb mistakes last night, but some of those are easily fixable. I thought they looked a lot more physical then the years past. Murray JR. Is an absolute freak. I think the weak point is the secondary. 

On 9/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, trueblue82 said:

No! Way too big of town for me. But it beats the heck out of Houston or DFW. 

Fort Worth is better than Dallas imo, and that’s coming from someone who lives in Dallas and has lived here for 6+ years lol

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

How do y’all feel about your defense? I know they made some dumb mistakes last night, but some of those are easily fixable. I thought they looked a lot more physical then the years past. Murray JR. Is an absolute freak. I think the weak point is the secondary. 

Overall? We're light years ahead of where we were. Not where we need to be but, all things considered, much better than we were. 

Started the game with four straight three-and-outs. Showed aggression up front and swarmed to the ball. Grinch called an almost perfect game, players just didn't always execute...

The cupboard is woefully bare in the secondary. Laughable recruiting/development has us with little depth or talent. It's going to take multiple recruiting cycles to remedy this. 

I think Top 50 is a reasonable goal for this defense. However, I still expect plenty of big plays given up this season on defense. Hopefully our offense won't have to be quite as dominant this year. 

22 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Fort Worth is better than Dallas imo, and that’s coming from someone who lives in Dallas and has lived here for 6+ years lol

I’ll take your word for it. When I HAVE to go there, I’m like a really efficient bank robber. I get in and out as quickly as possible while getting as much as possible of whatever I went after. And hopefully I don’t get shot before I leave. 

• LOL! 2

13 minutes ago, AKA said:

Overall? We're light years ahead of where we were. Not where we need to be but, all things considered, much better than we were. 

Started the game with four straight three-and-outs. Showed aggression up front and swarmed to the ball. Grinch called an almost perfect game, players just didn't always execute...

The cupboard is woefully bare in the secondary. Laughable recruiting/development has us with little depth or talent. It's going to take multiple recruiting cycles to remedy this. 

I think Top 50 is a reasonable goal for this defense. However, I still expect plenty of big plays given up this season on defense. Hopefully our offense won't have to be quite as dominant this year. 

I do think this OU team is a more well-rounded team. And that’s a compliment to the defense. Now, you may not have a heisman and #1 overall pick under center like the past two years, but we all know Hurts can do the job and then some. Maybe OU can start to rely on their defense more. I definitely see a lot of improvement. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I do think this OU team is a more well-rounded team. And that’s a compliment to the defense... 

Yeah, jury's still out but it's nice to finally see some progress after too many years. 

Still expect Ingram to gash us for 100+ on the ground, and Ehlinger to complete most of his 50-50 shots down the sideline...  but ya gotta start somewhere. 😉

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/HeismanWatch190903/heisman-watch-jalen-tops-tua-first-vote

1. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma

Total points: 39 (first-place votes: 6)

Notable: Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and now Jalen Hurts? Sure, it's been only one week, but the Alabama transfer had quite the debut for the Sooners on Sunday night in a 49-31 win over Houston, notching six touchdowns (three passing, three rushing) and throwing for a whopping 332 yards. It's too early to say whether Hurts will be the third straight transfer QB to win the Heisman for Oklahoma, but so far, so good.

Quotable: "He's waited a long time," Hurts' father, Averion Hurts, told ESPN's Holly Rowe. "He's back where ... you could say he belongs."

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't know if OU has just had a string of good luck on QB transfers or if the system Riley has is just that good

Rattler will be our first true case study of the "Riley effect" on QBs. 

Granted, Baker was certainly born to be a Riley QB (and Kyler was a damn "cheat code" of pure talent), but I really really want to see what Riley does with a QB from the cradle to the grave, so to speak. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Rattler will be our first true case study of the "Riley effect" on QBs. 

Granted, Baker was certainly born to be a Riley QB (and Kyler was a damn "cheat code" of pure talent), but I really really want to see what Riley does with a QB from the cradle to the grave, so to speak. 

Kyler was in the grave when he came to OU and Baker was a walk-on. Geez, what else is there to see? He turned both of them into #1 overall picks. Nobody thought Kyler was a pro prospect at QB (much less the 1st pick of the draft)until Riley got a hold of him. Give the man his due...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2