Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

Been trying not to have too high an expectation for Rattler, but damn he looked smooth out there. Has nothing to do with the weak competition, has everything to do with his read+recognition, mechanics and quick release. He looks very impressive for a true freshman. 

This is probably a really dumb question and should tell you how slow my day is at work today, but I was thinking about this and still don't know the answer...

Why is it "OU" and not "UO" since it's the University of Oklahoma? It's one of those things that I've always noticed but never took the time to figure it out lol

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

This is probably a really dumb question and should tell you how slow my day is at work today, but I was thinking about this and still don't know the answer...

Why is it "OU" and not "UO" since it's the University of Oklahoma? It's one of those things that I've always noticed but never took the time to figure it out lol

Short answer: tradition.

Slightly longer answer: it's a holdover from the early days of the Big 8.

Much longer answer: At some point it was decided (not sure by who) that all conference members would all follow the same format of state name before "U" in the interests of consistency. Especially since they also had members who were state name + "State" (Okla. State, Kansas State, etc.)

So, instead of it being UO, OSU, UK, KSU, ISU, UA, UM...  etc. someone decided to start each abbreviation with the state letter: OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, AU, MU...

I've also heard it was also easier for sportswriters to line them up in the newspaper that way, though I'm not sure what flip-flopping the letter has to do with it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AKA said:

Much longer answer: At some point it was decided (not sure by who) that all conference members would all follow the same format of state name before "U" in the interests of consistency. Especially since they also had members who were state name + "State" (Okla. State, Kansas State, etc.)

So, instead of it being UO, OSU, UK, KSU, ISU, UA, UM...  etc. someone decided to start each abbreviation with the state letter: OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, AU, MU...

I've also heard it was also easier for sportswriters to line them up in the newspaper that way, though I'm not sure what flip-flopping the letter has to do with it. 

Wow, that's very interesting and helpful. Thanks for that info! I've been wondering that for years now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

So funny story. 

We had a home and home schedule with this relatively unknown school name Louisiana State University. However, they kept pushing the it back and back and Oklahoma was just forced to fill their schedule. 

Side note: That is only the 4th time Oklahoma has had to play a FCS school in the last 20 years. 

I was hoping UCLA would be a decent opponent for y'all, but man, they might as well be an FCS team with how bad they've turned out to be under Chip. Not that that's OU's fault, but I was hoping they would give you guys at least a little bit of a challenge.

5 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I was hoping UCLA would be a decent opponent for y'all, but man, they might as well be an FCS team with how bad they've turned out to be under Chip. Not that that's OU's fault, but I was hoping they would give you guys at least a little bit of a challenge.

Yeah they were looking to be at least at consistent top 25 team under Mora when that home/home was planned. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AKA said:

Hopefully between now and then our defense figures out a way to stop a team that only has three plays in their offense. 

Shoot, I know OU's defense isn't great, but it's difficult for any team to stop the triple option when it's run to perfection. Especially in this day in age where these kids have never seen it ran in their entire life.

30 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Shoot, I know OU's defense isn't great, but it's difficult for any team to stop the triple option when it's run to perfection. Especially in this day in age where these kids have never seen it ran in their entire life.

Duke held them to 168 rushing yards. Eastern Michigan (who went .500 in the MAC) held them to 289 rushing yards. Ivy League powerhouse Colgate held Army to 261 rushing yards. 

Army had 339 rushing yards against OU, converted most (if not all) of their 3rd and 4th downs, and almost won the damn game. 

It's not that Army had success running the ball, or that they were tough to put away. It was the fact that they physically pushed OU up and down the field and there was nothing we could do to stop it. 

Stopping the triple-option is no picnic, I'll grant you that. But reading keys and tackling ballcarriers is taught in junior high. We should have been able to beat them on defensive talent alone. That game epitomized the failure of Mike Stoops to recruit and develop talent, as well as to call the best defenses to put our players in a position to be successful. He should've been fired after this game. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AKA said:

Duke held them to 168 rushing yards. Eastern Michigan (who went .500 in the MAC) held them to 289 rushing yards. Ivy League powerhouse Colgate held Army to 261 rushing yards. 

Army had 339 rushing yards against OU, converted most (if not all) of their 3rd and 4th downs, and almost won the damn game. 

It's not that Army had success running the ball, or that they were tough to put away. It was the fact that they physically pushed OU up and down the field and there was nothing we could do to stop it. 

Stopping the triple-option is no picnic, I'll grant you that. But reading keys and tackling ballcarriers is taught in junior high. We should have been able to beat them on defensive talent alone. That game epitomized the failure of Mike Stoops to recruit and develop talent, as well as to call the best defenses to put our players in a position to be successful. He should've been fired after this game. 

I don't disagree with you there by any means. The key to beating Army is to match, or out-match them physically. That was OU's struggle against them last year, as well as Michigan's problem with them this year, and UM held them to 200 yards rushing and still had to beat them in 2 OT's! If you let their offense push you around, it will wear on defenses pretty quick and make for a long game. OU definitely has more talent like you said, but it's not so much about talent than it is physicality (although Army has been pretty talented the past couple seasons).

But if there's anything I've seen from this years OU defensive squad (from the one game I've watched) is that they are more physical than they have been in the past. Not where they should be, but it's an improvement from the #### we saw last year. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 2:43 PM, ETXfan16 said:

They refer to themselves as OU because UO sounds like "you owe." As in "you owe" other people some land because you took off early and thieved the land from others. 😂

• LOL! 2

On 9/9/2019 at 4:48 PM, AKA said:

Really good answer, AKA, except for one nitpick:  There was no member of the original Big 6, Big 7 or Big 8 whose state began with "A".

LOL, when I read AU or UA, I immediately started scratching my head, thinking about it  - - the closest state that starts with "A", of course,  is Arkansas, and they were a member of the SWC.  The original Big 8, of course, was Iowa State, Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, the 2 Kansas schools, Oklahoma and little sister OSewe.

One thing is certain: the custom began at least as early as the 40s, maybe Sooner... :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, AKA said:

Been trying not to have too high an expectation for Rattler, but damn he looked smooth out there. Has nothing to do with the weak competition, has everything to do with his read+recognition, mechanics and quick release. He looks very impressive for a true freshman. 

Sooo, are we saying Mordecai is going to have to transfer?

17 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I wouldn't comfortable with that if I was Rattler. OU has now shown WITHOUT FAIL that they will bring in transfers TO START. 

Nobody on the roster should be comfortable. Ever. Best man up. 

• Like 2