Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

Credit to Baylor for coming out and hitting OU in the mouth. Rhule has done a terrific job of bringing that program back from the precipice of near-death (penalty), and he's got his kids buying into what he's doing. That is HUGE.

With that said...  despite the optics of the 28-3 halftime lead, a deeper dive shows a few things that might not auger well for BU's rematch, should both teams manage to win out.

From a Facebook post: 

The 1st half time of possession slightly favored OU but the Sooners were down big because of turnovers which kept Oklahoma out of the endzone and gave Baylor easy scoring opportunities. The offense had driven to midfield before the fumble and snapped the ball from the BU 36 on the interception play. So the turnaround wasn't just 14 points but 20 to 28 points depending on OU kicking FG's or scoring TD's.

Baylor's 1st Half Drives
1st possession 9-yard 5-play drive in 2:05 PUNT
2nd possession 78 yard 10-play drive in 3:59 TD
3rd possession 54 yard 5-play drive in 1:56 TD
4th possession 27 yard 2-play drive in 0:14 TD
5th possession 9 yard 1-play drive in 0:22 TD
6th possession 61 yard 14-play drive in 5:03 FG

For all that the halftime score made them look like worldbeaters, the Bears only had three drives of 50+ yards, two of which started inside the red zone set up by OU turnovers.

RPL5te3.jpg

Also...  OU's defense is not where it needs to be in order for OU to be a true playoff contender, but statistically Grinch has made considerable strides in only his first season.

Despite my continued frustration with the optics of teams still managing to break big plays, I've got to concede that the numbers don't lie.

No, they don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie either. This defense is statistically better than it's been.

From a Twitter post:

Last year, OU finished:
#95 scoring D
#105 total D
#59 rushing D
#129 passing D

So far this season:
#56 scoring defense
#35 total defense
#51 rushing defense
#27 passing defense

Numbers are much improved. Not elite, not championship caliber. Still need more talent to get to that level. But we're clearly getting better and this is the kind of improvement we needed to see to attract more talented recruits.

JiTqOAT.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKA said:

Credit to Baylor for coming out and hitting OU in the mouth. Rhule has done a terrific job of bringing that program back from the precipice of near-death (penalty), and he's got his kids buying into what he's doing. That is HUGE.

With that said...  despite the optics of the 28-3 halftime lead, a deeper dive shows a few things that might not auger well for BU's rematch, should both teams manage to win out.

From a Facebook post: 

Baylor is doing something most programs won't do.  Hire a good coach, then give them time to fully implement their program.  Baylor is seeing the fruits of that decision earlier than expected.  TCU has stuck with their guy forever... even after a few horrible seasons... could you imagine what would happen if Texas A&M and Texas went 3-9 and 6-6 after a 10 win season?  They wouldn't even get a sniff at that 3rd season where Patterson usually pops back into the top 1-3 of the conference.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Baylor is doing something most programs won't do.  Hire a good coach, then give them time to fully implement their program.  Baylor is seeing the fruits of that decision earlier than expected.  TCU has stuck with their guy forever... even after a few horrible seasons... could you imagine what would happen if Texas A&M and Texas went 3-9 and 6-6 after a 10 win season?  They wouldn't even get a sniff at that 3rd season where Patterson usually pops back into the top 1-3 of the conference.

But Baylor could do that after the resignation/firing of Briles and his staff. There were zero expectations of Baylor being the same when it was all said and done. There was also the idea that... hey we may not be playing as well as we used to, but at least our program is clean, and our coach is a well-respected guy with good character. Rhule has done a great job bringing the football team back to this level, but let's not forget that Baylor has been extremely fortunate in some of their games. They could easily have 3 more losses at this point. They pulled out a one possession win over Rice! But winning breeds winning and build confidence. Their fans will be rabid this weekend with plenty of upside down horns for the TV crews. Texas might be in over their heads. 

5 hours ago, AKA said:

Also...  OU's defense is not where it needs to be in order for OU to be a true playoff contender, but statistically Grinch has made considerable strides in only his first season.

Despite my continued frustration with the optics of teams still managing to break big plays, I've got to concede that the numbers don't lie.

No, they don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie either. This defense is statistically better than it's been.

From a Twitter post:

I've gotta admit The Grinch has done a good job so far...they just could be settling in a bit (like I am afraid the Horns offense has this year) after a hot start...

injuries and all kinds of things rear their ugly head mid to 2/3 of the season and many teams change because of it. May not be catastrophic change, because they have the depth to replace the loss or the wisdom to shift their remaining talent to mask the deficiency some. Other times the change is dramatic and it's clear that the team isn't as good or near as strong as they were or that they need to be.

• Like 1

Just now, CoachPelvisPresley said:

injuries and all kinds of things rear their ugly head mid to 2/3 of the season and many teams change because of it. May not be catastrophic change, because they have the depth to replace the loss or the wisdom to shift their remaining talent to mask the deficiency some. Other times the change is dramatic and it's clear that the team isn't as good or near as strong as they were or that they need to be.

Defensively our main Achilles Heel at this point is personnel.

Yeah yeah, I know, it probably sounds greedy for an OU fan to be complaining about personnel. But it is what it is. Mike Stoops really left the cupboard bare, especially in the secondary. 

Scheme-wise, yeah, I feel like Grinch is trying to camouflage our weaknesses, which has caused some head scratching playcalling. But, on the whole, his adjustments have been sound...  with a few exceptions.   <cough, cough, Kansas State> 

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

But Baylor could do that after the resignation/firing of Briles and his staff. There were zero expectations of Baylor being the same when it was all said and done. There was also the idea that... hey we may not be playing as well as we used to, but at least our program is clean, and our coach is a well-respected guy with good character. Rhule has done a great job bringing the football team back to this level, but let's not forget that Baylor has been extremely fortunate in some of their games. They could easily have 3 more losses at this point. They pulled out a one possession win over Rice! But winning breeds winning and build confidence. Their fans will be rabid this weekend with plenty of upside down horns for the TV crews. Texas might be in over their heads. 

Man, here’s the thing, 6-8 wins for Baylor would have been successful this year.  Those fortunate events is just football going your way...  Talent wise, Baylor should have gotten smoked by OU and should get smoked by Texas.  But who knows, this team plays smart

Hahaha, not surprising. Not surprising at all.

When I attended there the student congress tried to get the word Oklahoma removed from everything because it's Choctaw (or Cherokee?) for "red people," and they found it offensive. 

Never a shortage of harebrained ideas on college campuses. 

12 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Hearing or reading about stuff like this is nauseating. Unfortunately there is no end in sight.

You guys better get out and get everybody you know to vote FOR conservative candidates if you want to see all this BS go away.......exercise YOUR control over things and the end will be near for all these libtard nutjobs.......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

You guys better get out and get everybody you know to vote FOR conservative candidates if you want to see all this BS go away.......exercise YOUR control over things and the end will be near for all these libtard nutjobs.......

I voted yes for the Aledo School Bond if that is what you mean :p  Liberal spending for the benefit of my childrens'  education....  
There really isn't another option for us in Parker county other than conservatives.  If a Democrat wins out here, it is probably because he didn't want to unseat a republican during the nomination period and wanted to make noise during the primaries.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, AKA said:

Hahaha, not surprising. Not surprising at all.

When I attended there the student congress tried to get the word Oklahoma removed from everything because it's Choctaw (or Cherokee?) for "red people," and they found it offensive. 

Never a shortage of harebrained ideas on college campuses. 

If it ain’t broke, leave it be...🤨

Watching the game at home, surrounded by a house full of family and friends, so I've got a little drinking game going...

• Lincoln inexplicably calls a deep pass in short-yardage: take a shot.
  • Jalen keeps the zone-read even though the entire defense is keying on him: take a shot
  • Kenneth Murray completely loses track of the ball, his man, and his position on the field: take a shot.
  • Chuba Hubbard runs untouched for 20+ yards: take a shot.
  • A member of the OU secondary gives his man a 10-yard cushion, then tries to hand-fight once the ball is thrown: take a shot
  • Jalen floats a pass behind his receiver: take a shot.

I expect to be drunk before halftime. Thankfully the missus has already hidden our good single-malt stuff. 

Happy Bedlam!   :woot:

• Sad 1