Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

30 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That’s been know for a few days now. 

Kid stays committed for 2 years and Oklahoma turned away higher rated guys and he ghosts the week of signing day. 

I've been out of the loop a bit lately, lol; just saw it today.

33 minutes ago, AKA said:

Am I weird because I prefer McGowan to McClellan? 

Totally not into recruiting, but I just think he's a better fit for us. 

Nope, I’ve felt that way the whole time.

The RB I liked most ended up at Notre Dame because Oklahoma was “full”.

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Looks like Jase McClellan is going to flip to Bama.

That’s two OU flips BAMA has in this class. They also flipped a 4-star OL from Auburn, and got one of the top RBs out of Louisiana. Nick making the most out of the extra recruiting week he got this year. 

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The RB I liked most ended up at Notre Dame because Oklahoma was “full”.

I’ll trade you a 5-10, 340 pound buffet killer, Swiss army knife center/defensive tackle/ speed bump for one of them spare running backs.

• LOL! 1

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Totally not trying to play the "we didn't want him anyway card," by the way.

Obviously I would like to have McClellan as well, but he seems more in the mold of 'Bama backs. That kind of classic between the tackles, lets linemen set up blocks, then busts into the clear kind of back. 

McGowan is more of a burst runner, not unlike Rodney Anderson. I think he suits our system better. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AKA said:

Totally not trying to play the "we didn't want him anyway card," by the way.

Obviously I would like to have McClellan as well, but he seems more in the mold of 'Bama backs. That kind of classic between the tackles, lets linemen set up blocks, then busts into the clear kind of back. 

McGowan is more of a burst runner, not unlike Rodney Anderson. I think he suits our system better. 

With how much they used him at Aledo, he would not have been the OU every down back that you are used to.  He needs a place like Bama to share the load and redshirt a year and just rest.  I am of the unpopular opinion here in Aledo, but that kids needs a break whether he believes it or not.

• Like 3

My thoughts on it were that it wasn’t the end of the world to lose a 4 star RB.

It annoyed me that he was committed for two years and Riley told other talented RBs that we were full and then the kid decommits the weekend before signing day.

All of the while his parents were saying “Jase is going to Oklahoma”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

With how much they used him at Aledo, he would not have been the OU every down back that you are used to.  He needs a place like Bama to share the load and redshirt a year and just rest.  I am of the unpopular opinion here in Aledo, but that kids needs a break whether he believes it or not.

See: Jonathan Gray

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

It annoyed me that he was committed for two years and Riley told other talented RBs that we were full and then the kid decommits the weekend before signing day.

This highlights why I just can't get into recruiting...  banking so much on the whims of teenagers.

I have a hard enough time trusting them even after they're on campus.  ;)  

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

He just wasn't BIG XII ready.

• LOL! 2

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The crazy part of it all is that he shut down his recruiting after committing because he didn’t want the distractions or anyone to influence his decision... then he opened it up again his senior year just to “enjoy the experience” then flipped.  I know, I know, he is a teenager, but he handled this all wrong. Just keep your lists and not commit if you are unsure

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

The crazy part of it all is that he shut down his recruiting after committing because he didn’t want the distractions or anyone to influence his decision... then he opened it up again his senior year just to “enjoy the experience” then flipped.  I know, I know, he is a teenager, but he handled this all wrong. Just keep your lists and not commit if you are unsure

From what I have seen people say there seems to be an idea that Aledo is a pretty "Anti-Oklahoma" program.

I don't know true that is.

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

From what I have seen people say there seems to be an idea that Aledo is a pretty "Anti-Oklahoma" program.

I don't know true that is.

There’s a big A&M crowd out here.  Decent Texas crowd (as expected).  But the majority of money in Aledo comes from engineering and physicians.  So I’m guessing that’s why I run into a lot of A&M and LSU grads.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the outcome of the playoff was about what I expected (sadly), but the overall season was (gladly) well beyond my expectations. 

This was supposed to be a building year, with a new Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Line. Instead we won another Big XII title and another playoff appearance. 

Defense made tremendous strides in Grinch's first year. Obviously we still need serious upgrades to personnel, and the current guys on the roster need to raise their games as well, but I'm thrilled with the progress.  The addition of Jalen Hurts certainly helped offset the growing pains we should've had early on, but ultimately his incredible talent as a runner belied the shortcomings of our offensive line and his talent as a deep-ball passer. 

While the lopsided loss to LSU certainly puts a damper on the season, I'm nevertheless optimistic about where the program stands to go from here.