Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

18 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Anybody hear anything about Mordecai transferring?

From my understanding if he loses the QB battle and decides to transfer then it is beneficial to wait until after the 2020 season when he should be able to be a grad transfer with two years of eligibility left.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, Valhalla said:

From my understanding if he loses the QB battle and decides to transfer then it is beneficial to wait until after the 2020 season when he should be able to be a grad transfer with two years of eligibility left.

You're hearing the same things I'm hearing, and my sources say he's "betting on himself" as well as the contrasting perspectives of the offensive staff toward the two QBs.  Mordecai perceived as being more "stable" at the position (with less upside), while Rattler is perceived as more volatile (though way more talented).

Obviously the coaches are very high on Rattler's high ceiling and skillset, but Mordecai is seen (at least at this point) as the "safer" option. A quote-unquote game manager, if you will.  The guy you can count on to go out there, run the offense, check down and make the correct throw most of the time. Rattler, at this point, is seen as prone to go for the high-risk/high-reward options instead of taking what the defense gives. He may get you an 80-yard touchdown bomb, or force a pass into coverage.

Granted, these are based almost entirely on what has been shown in practices thus far, not in games, and both QBs had vastly different roles in practice this past season (Mordecai was QB2 and Rattler was the scout team star).

Take all this with a grain of salt though, because QBs are gonna have different tendencies when they're behind an entrenched starter (Mordecai) or trying to stand out as a new guy (Rattler). 

• Like 1