Sooners 2019 Thread

Mr. P

Gonna be losing a lot of key guys in 2019, but we've also got a lot of young talent that was battle-tested in 2018. 

Some staffing shakeups are possible, and some serious defensive upgrades are desperately needed.

How's the recruiting outlook heading into the off-season?

New year, new thread...  BOOMER SOONER!

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Gonna be losing a lot of key guys in 2019, but we've also got a lot of young talent that was battle-tested in 2018. 

Some staffing shakeups are possible, and some serious defensive upgrades are desperately needed.

How's the recruiting outlook heading into the off-season?

New year, new thread...  BOOMER SOONER!

If I am thinking like AKA... I would say OU is going 0-12, but still somehow backs into and wins the B12 Championship game and is selected to the CFB playoffs

• LOL! 1

20 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

If I am thinking like AKA... I would say OU is going 0-12, but still somehow backs into and wins the B12 Championship game and is selected to the CFB playoffs

Yep...  causing a chain reaction that results in anarchy and the unraveling of the universe itself. 

17 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

9413FD2C-E040-4ABF-B893-A323D9C3C206.jpeg

Some type of news coming. 

Y'know how the boardcasters will say something like, "Here's your ballgame!" at a crucial moment when one team has an opportunity to seal the outcome? 

That's what's happening. 

I hate to make too much of a big deal of it, but the DC hire for OU will determine their next decade. They will either take it to the next level with this hire, or gradually decline.

The current status of "Texas Tech with 4-star athletes" is unsustainable, Oklahoma must secure the bag. 

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I would assume so. 

He was the 16th highest paid coach in college football at around 4.8 million. 

The details have not been announced.

I’m glad they did that. I hate to see the good young coaches leave the college ranks for the nfl.

12 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m glad they did that. I hate to see the good young coaches leave the college ranks for the nfl.

It really is bad business decision to leave a top college job for the NFL. Riley could coach at Oklahoma for 20 years if he was success. He would probably be fired after 3-5 years in the NFL.

Its just how it works. I think 8 of 32 coaches were fired in the NFL this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

It really is bad business decision to leave a top college job for the NFL. Riley could coach at Oklahoma for 20 years if he was success. He would probably be fired after 3-5 years in the NFL.

Its just how it works. I think 8 of 32 coaches were fired in the NFL this year.

I agree. He’s a HC at a top 5 program with nowhere to go but up. He’s a couple of adjustments away from winning a title. If I’m a football coach, there’s no way I’m leaving a OU, BAMA or UT type job for the NFL. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Sooners 2019 Thread
On 1/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, ETXfan16 said:

OU at 5? If Murray doesn't come back, I think they slip a little.

Yes. OU offense is gonna take a step back. Hopefully defense takes a big step forward (hopefully) but offense will take a step back. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, Valhalla said:

I really want Fields. 

I think he would win a Hesiman in Riley’s offense.

I think so too, but I think Fromm's underwhelming performance gives Smart some leverage to keep Fields on campus. 

On 1/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, AKA said:

Yes. OU offense is gonna take a step back. Hopefully defense takes a big step forward (hopefully) but offense will take a step back. 

That's what I was thinking, mainly just because of QB play. I have no clue how good that Kendall guy is.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, AKA said:

I think so too, but I think Fromm's underwhelming performance gives Smart some leverage to keep Fields on campus. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, Valhalla said:

I really want Fields. 

I think he would win a Hesiman in Riley’s offense.

I agree with AKA. Fromm is skating on thin ice here. However, Field's has been pretty fed up and is very public about that. I'm seeing that Ohio State might be the place he lands if he decides to transfer. He would have to compete with Tate Martell.

11 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's what I was thinking, mainly just because of QB play. I have no clue how good that Kendall guy is.

He's fine, and will put up really good numbers in Riley's system... but yeah, he's not a cheat code like Kyler or able to just will his team to victory like Baker. I see him more in the mold of someone like Landry Jones: will flourish when things are running smooth, but not a gamebreaker.