The Smoakhouse Forums
AKA

Sooners 2019 Thread

Brian Odom will be the new LB coach for Oklahoma.

9 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Brian Odom will be the new LB coach for Oklahoma.

He's one of Grinch's guys, right? That's important. Grinch needs as much ownership of the D as possible. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

He's one of Grinch's guys, right? That's important. Grinch needs as much ownership of the D as possible. 

Grinch is the nephew of former MU coach Gary Pinkel and was a graduate assistant at Missouri alongside Odom. The two worked together at Washington State when Grinch was the Cougars’ defensive coordinator and Odom was an analyst.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

Grinch is the nephew of former MU coach Gary Pinkel and was a graduate assistant at Missouri alongside Odom. The two worked together at Washington State when Grinch was the Cougars’ defensive coordinator and Odom was an analyst.

RG0BS1U.gif

I don't mind the "buddy hire," so long as it's working...   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

RG0BS1U.gif

I don't mind the "buddy hire," so long as it's working...   

From my experience from religiously following this stuff along with being an HS coach myself it that coaching jobs are mostly about "who you know" or "who knows you".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

From my experience from religiously following this stuff along with being an HS coach myself it that coaching jobs are mostly about "who you know" or "who knows you".

Hey, I can't say nothing. If not for the Good Ol' Boy Network I wouldn't have my current gig.    :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kyler has submitted his paperwork. Has 72 hrs to back out. 

So the A's make a deal with Kyler that if he signs with them, they will let him play 1 more year of football. 

Now, after that year, he's using it against them? I get that he has leverage, but it went from choosing the sport he loves to play to who is going to give him more money. Idk... that's kinda doing the A's dirty imo.

OU is the best choice for Jalen Hurts (The Birmingham News

Lincoln Riley started recruiting Jalen Hurts long before he hopped feet first into the NCAA transfer portal.

Riley didn’t do anything wrong. It wasn’t overt, or against the rules. It was more like flirting from afar, but it was recruiting all the same.

Less than a week after Hurts’ thrilling come-from-behind victory against Georgia in the SEC championship game, Oklahoma’s coach sent a strong message to Alabama’s quarterback about his importance to the game of football. The venue was the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, and the occasion was a news conference kicking off the weeks-long buildup of the College Football Playoff. The presser included all four coaches of the playoff participants.

Oklahoma was matched up with Alabama in the semifinals, and Riley was asked a question about Alabama’s “X-factor.”

“The thing I’ve seen so far, and I don’t want to act like an expert on that program I’m not in those walls day to day,” Riley said, “but you see the unselfishness in that program. The most obvious notable example is Jalen Hurts. How he handled that entire situation...Every kid, every college football player in the country, every young football player out there, every six-year-old getting ready to play the game ought to see that story. Because we need more guys like him.”

Emphasis on “we need more guys like him.”

Alabama coach Nick Saban stared at Riley intently as the opposing coach gushed over his backup quarterback.

Read the whole article. 

9 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

If Hurts went to Miami, could Tate Martell look at OU?

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, AKA said:

tenor.gif

avoid the office GIF

• Haha 1

Roy Manning from UCLA to be the new corners coach for Oklahoma. 

I guess that means Grinch will have the safeties.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Roy Manning from UCLA to be the new corners coach for Oklahoma. 

I guess that means Grinch will have the safeties.

Like I said on the Sooner forum, he's got the easiest job in college football right now...  all he has to do is get decent play out of his corners.

Not lockdown, not excellent, not even great...  just average. If they successfully defend 50 percent of 50-50 balls, they'll be twice as good as we've had for a decade. 

Jalen Hurts transfers to Oklahoma. Film at 11.

• Thanks 1

Hurts to Oklahoma...He pulled a KD and did it via a letter in The Players Trubune

18 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Hurts to Oklahoma...He pulled a KD and did it via a letter in The Players Trubune

Way to ruin the moment guy lol.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

Way to ruin the moment guy lol.

Haha...Right after I clicked Submit, I made the unfortunate connection. Silver lining? Hurts' story has a good ending for the state of Oklahoma (Outside of Stillwater)

I3m0bhM.gif

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Jalen Hurts transfers to Oklahoma. Film at 11.

Well there goes the Golden hat. If Ou made three hesiman in a row while three others couldn't do would be amazing

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

They're blocking him from being immediately eligible. Kinda weird to me. 

The difference between a good look and a smart move is clear here. 

Obviously I want Texas to win the BIG XII and play in the NC playoffs. But... if it's OU, I'd love for them to play Alabama in the first round again and watch Hurts destroy Saban and company. Now, again obviously because I'm a Longhorn, I want Clemson to beat the ever-loving out of OU in the NC game.

• Haha 2