Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LOL

Sooners 2019 Thread

Recommended Posts

All I can say for the Okie faithful is just be happy that Freddie went for nachos at halftime.  I think it jinxed his Nightmare Night in Waco........Sheesh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That TOP stat was crazy. I don’t recall seeing a higher differential. 41 to 19 for ou. I didn’t watch this game, but look at the stat line it looks like ou just dominated this game outside of a few drives in the first half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That is one of the grittiest games I have seen Oklahoma play this century.

Riley got rid of the “cuteness” In his offense in the 2nd half, put a body on a body and imposed their will.  When you are the better team, simple stuff can win games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Riley got rid of the “cuteness” In his offense in the 2nd half, put a body on a body and imposed their will.  When you are the better team, simple stuff can win games.

Yeah, it's precisely that "cuteness" that is preventing him from being a truly great coach. Sometimes the most "genius" thing to do is just run the damn ball between the tackles. 

Especially when you're the better team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest comeback in OU history? Did I hear that right. I didn't see the first half, turned it on at halftime. OU down 31-10. They played very well on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half. Great win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit to Baylor for coming out and hitting OU in the mouth. Rhule has done a terrific job of bringing that program back from the precipice of near-death (penalty), and he's got his kids buying into what he's doing. That is HUGE.

With that said...  despite the optics of the 28-3 halftime lead, a deeper dive shows a few things that might not auger well for BU's rematch, should both teams manage to win out.

From a Facebook post: 

Quote

The 1st half time of possession slightly favored OU but the Sooners were down big because of turnovers which kept Oklahoma out of the endzone and gave Baylor easy scoring opportunities. The offense had driven to midfield before the fumble and snapped the ball from the BU 36 on the interception play. So the turnaround wasn't just 14 points but 20 to 28 points depending on OU kicking FG's or scoring TD's.

Baylor's 1st Half Drives
1st possession 9-yard 5-play drive in 2:05 PUNT
2nd possession 78 yard 10-play drive in 3:59 TD
3rd possession 54 yard 5-play drive in 1:56 TD
4th possession 27 yard 2-play drive in 0:14 TD
5th possession 9 yard 1-play drive in 0:22 TD
6th possession 61 yard 14-play drive in 5:03 FG

For all that the halftime score made them look like worldbeaters, the Bears only had three drives of 50+ yards, two of which started inside the red zone set up by OU turnovers.

RPL5te3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also...  OU's defense is not where it needs to be in order for OU to be a true playoff contender, but statistically Grinch has made considerable strides in only his first season.

Despite my continued frustration with the optics of teams still managing to break big plays, I've got to concede that the numbers don't lie.

No, they don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie either. This defense is statistically better than it's been.

From a Twitter post:

Quote

Last year, OU finished:
#95 scoring D
#105 total D
#59 rushing D
#129 passing D

So far this season:
#56 scoring defense
#35 total defense
#51 rushing defense
#27 passing defense

Numbers are much improved. Not elite, not championship caliber. Still need more talent to get to that level. But we're clearly getting better and this is the kind of improvement we needed to see to attract more talented recruits.

JiTqOAT.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKA said:

Credit to Baylor for coming out and hitting OU in the mouth. Rhule has done a terrific job of bringing that program back from the precipice of near-death (penalty), and he's got his kids buying into what he's doing. That is HUGE.

With that said...  despite the optics of the 28-3 halftime lead, a deeper dive shows a few things that might not auger well for BU's rematch, should both teams manage to win out.

From a Facebook post: 

Baylor is doing something most programs won't do.  Hire a good coach, then give them time to fully implement their program.  Baylor is seeing the fruits of that decision earlier than expected.  TCU has stuck with their guy forever... even after a few horrible seasons... could you imagine what would happen if Texas A&M and Texas went 3-9 and 6-6 after a 10 win season?  They wouldn't even get a sniff at that 3rd season where Patterson usually pops back into the top 1-3 of the conference.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Baylor is doing something most programs won't do.  Hire a good coach, then give them time to fully implement their program.  Baylor is seeing the fruits of that decision earlier than expected.  TCU has stuck with their guy forever... even after a few horrible seasons... could you imagine what would happen if Texas A&M and Texas went 3-9 and 6-6 after a 10 win season?  They wouldn't even get a sniff at that 3rd season where Patterson usually pops back into the top 1-3 of the conference.

But Baylor could do that after the resignation/firing of Briles and his staff. There were zero expectations of Baylor being the same when it was all said and done. There was also the idea that... hey we may not be playing as well as we used to, but at least our program is clean, and our coach is a well-respected guy with good character. Rhule has done a great job bringing the football team back to this level, but let's not forget that Baylor has been extremely fortunate in some of their games. They could easily have 3 more losses at this point. They pulled out a one possession win over Rice! But winning breeds winning and build confidence. Their fans will be rabid this weekend with plenty of upside down horns for the TV crews. Texas might be in over their heads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AKA said:

Also...  OU's defense is not where it needs to be in order for OU to be a true playoff contender, but statistically Grinch has made considerable strides in only his first season.

Despite my continued frustration with the optics of teams still managing to break big plays, I've got to concede that the numbers don't lie.

No, they don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie either. This defense is statistically better than it's been.

From a Twitter post:

I've gotta admit The Grinch has done a good job so far...they just could be settling in a bit (like I am afraid the Horns offense has this year) after a hot start...

injuries and all kinds of things rear their ugly head mid to 2/3 of the season and many teams change because of it. May not be catastrophic change, because they have the depth to replace the loss or the wisdom to shift their remaining talent to mask the deficiency some. Other times the change is dramatic and it's clear that the team isn't as good or near as strong as they were or that they need to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoachPelvisPresley said:

injuries and all kinds of things rear their ugly head mid to 2/3 of the season and many teams change because of it. May not be catastrophic change, because they have the depth to replace the loss or the wisdom to shift their remaining talent to mask the deficiency some. Other times the change is dramatic and it's clear that the team isn't as good or near as strong as they were or that they need to be.

Defensively our main Achilles Heel at this point is personnel.

Yeah yeah, I know, it probably sounds greedy for an OU fan to be complaining about personnel. But it is what it is. Mike Stoops really left the cupboard bare, especially in the secondary. 

Scheme-wise, yeah, I feel like Grinch is trying to camouflage our weaknesses, which has caused some head scratching playcalling. But, on the whole, his adjustments have been sound...  with a few exceptions.   <cough, cough, Kansas State> 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

But Baylor could do that after the resignation/firing of Briles and his staff. There were zero expectations of Baylor being the same when it was all said and done. There was also the idea that... hey we may not be playing as well as we used to, but at least our program is clean, and our coach is a well-respected guy with good character. Rhule has done a great job bringing the football team back to this level, but let's not forget that Baylor has been extremely fortunate in some of their games. They could easily have 3 more losses at this point. They pulled out a one possession win over Rice! But winning breeds winning and build confidence. Their fans will be rabid this weekend with plenty of upside down horns for the TV crews. Texas might be in over their heads. 

Man, here’s the thing, 6-8 wins for Baylor would have been successful this year.  Those fortunate events is just football going your way...  Talent wise, Baylor should have gotten smoked by OU and should get smoked by Texas.  But who knows, this team plays smart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha, not surprising. Not surprising at all.

When I attended there the student congress tried to get the word Oklahoma removed from everything because it's Choctaw (or Cherokee?) for "red people," and they found it offensive. 

Never a shortage of harebrained ideas on college campuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s as offensive as horns down... I want them to get a personal foul anytime someone yells it the next time I attend an OU game lol

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

It’s as offensive as horns down... I want them to get a personal foul anytime someone yells it the next time I attend an OU game lol

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing or reading about stuff like this is nauseating. Unfortunately there is no end in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

 

Tough deal.  My brother had several throughout HS and into College and was told he was 1 more away from being finished at SHSU.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Hearing or reading about stuff like this is nauseating. Unfortunately there is no end in sight.

You guys better get out and get everybody you know to vote FOR conservative candidates if you want to see all this BS go away.......exercise YOUR control over things and the end will be near for all these libtard nutjobs.......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate it for him, but you can't mess around with concussions. Wish him all the best. Dude was clutch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...