Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

8 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I hope the other 2 work out. Seems like Texas hasn't done a very good job of recruiting or developing QB'S. Long time ago since Colt was playing.

We will see how Ehlinger does this year. He took big strides last year. Hopefully he matches the hype.

Texas is killing QB recruiting since Herman became coach. The development part gets an incomplete grade right now, but if Ehlinger takes another step in the right direction we’ll have to revise that incomplete.

8 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas is killing QB recruiting since Herman became coach. The development part gets an incomplete grade right now, but if Ehlinger takes another step in the right direction we’ll have to revise that incomplete.

Agreed. He needs to lead them to a conference title. I still find it crazy that they have to beat OU twice in one season to get it. Hopefully this year if they split again,  Texas loses the first game and wins the 2nd. 

8 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Not sure it has anything to do with Herman. Sam would have committed to UT if Strong was still there. He was burnt Orange all the way. 

9 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas has always “killed it” in QB recruiting regardless of the coach.

Just look at the this decade.

2020 - Hudson Card, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star

2019 - Roschon Johnson, # 6 Dual QB, 4 Star

2018 - Camron Rising, # 11 Pro QB, 4 Star

Casey Thompson, #14 Dual QB, 4 Star

2017 - Sam Ehlinger, #4 Dual QB, 4 Star

2016 - Shane Buechele, #3 Dual QB, 4 Star

2015 - Mathew Merrick, #43 Pro QB, 3 Star

2014 - Jerrod Heard, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star

2013 - Tyrone Swoopes, #7 ATH, 4 Star

2012 - Connor Brewer, #4 Pro QB, 4 Star

2011 - David Ash, #7 Pro QB, 3 Star

2010 - Connor Wood, #5 Pro QB, 4 Star

• Like 1

David Ash having a career ending run of concussions put Texas in a whole and Mack was trying to find the next VY but missed terribly. 2015 Shawn Watson wanted Zack Gentry, who signed with Michigan as a TE. Shane did what he could, he just couldn’t run Herman’s offense. He may do good things at SMU. 

2020 - Hudson Card, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star Not on campus

2019 - Roschon Johnson, # 6 Dual QB, 4 Star Backup

2018 - Camron Rising, # 11 Pro QB, 4 Star Transfer 

Casey Thompson, #14 Dual QB, 4 Star Backup 

2017 - Sam Ehlinger, #4 Dual QB, 4 Star Perfect fit

2016 - Shane Buechele, #3 Dual QB, 4 Star Transfer 

2015 - Mathew Merrick, #43 Pro QB, 3 Star Transfer 

2014 - Jerrod Heard, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star Eval miss

2013 - Tyrone Swoopes, #7 ATH, 4 Star Eval miss

2012 - Connor Brewer, #4 Pro QB, 4 Star Transfer/Ash won job 

2011 - David Ash, #7 Pro QB, 3 Star Injuries ended career

2010 - Connor Wood, #5 Pro QB, 4 Star Transfer/Ash won job 

Interesting to see all the signees and how they fared. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

David Ash having a career ending run of concussions put Texas in a whole and Mack was trying to find the next VY but missed terribly. 2015 Shawn Watson wanted Zack Gentry, who signed with Michigan as a TE. Shane did what he could, he just couldn’t run Herman’s offense. He may do good things at SMU. 

Swoopes was overrated from day 1. He committed to Texas early in the process and was blown up the rankings because everyone assumed he was the next VY. But the dude lead his 2a team to a 1-9 record, as a 6’5 220 pound QB in high school. I’m not sure how many of y’all are extremely familiar with 2a ball in Texas, but even a solid division 2  level prospect at QB or RB can usually take over games at that level. Enough to at least guide your team to a few wins... the fact that a QB prospect with Swoopes measurables only lead his team to 1 win his senior year, told me all I needed to know about him as a prospect. He would have been a 3 star TE if he had committed to any other program that early in the process. But I think everyone assumed he was the next VY just based off measurables. And yes I know A&M offered him as well. This isn’t a knock on Texas for this misevaluation. It’s a knock on the entire recruiting service for blowing him up the rankings simply because he walked off the bus looking like VY 2.0 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Swoopes was overrated from day 1. He committed to Texas early in the process and was blown up the rankings because everyone assumed he was the next VY. But the dude lead his 2a team to a 1-9 record, as a 6’5 220 pound QB in high school. I’m not sure how many of y’all are extremely familiar with 2a ball in Texas, but even a solid division 2  level prospect at QB or RB can usually take over games at that level. Enough to at least guide your team to a few wins... the fact that a QB prospect with Swoopes measurables only lead his team to 1 win his senior year, told me all I needed to know about him as a prospect. He would have been a 3 star TE if he had committed to any other program that early in the process. But I think everyone assumed he was the next VY just based off measurables. And yes I know A&M offered him as well. This isn’t a knock on Texas for this misevaluation. It’s a knock on the entire recruiting service for blowing him up the rankings simply because he walked off the bus looking like VY 2.0 

I agree with this 100%. I remember thinking the exact same thing about the 1-9 record in small school football in North Texas. Thought about his size and if he truly were the next VY they’d have won every game just because of him.

I was super concerned about him from the start.

7 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Texas has always “killed it” in QB recruiting regardless of the coach.

Just look at the this decade.

2020 - Hudson Card, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star

2019 - Roschon Johnson, # 6 Dual QB, 4 Star

2018 - Camron Rising, # 11 Pro QB, 4 Star

Casey Thompson, #14 Dual QB, 4 Star

2017 - Sam Ehlinger, #4 Dual QB, 4 Star

2016 - Shane Buechele, #3 Dual QB, 4 Star

2015 - Mathew Merrick, #43 Pro QB, 3 Star

2014 - Jerrod Heard, #2 Dual QB, 4 Star

2013 - Tyrone Swoopes, #7 ATH, 4 Star

2012 - Connor Brewer, #4 Pro QB, 4 Star

2011 - David Ash, #7 Pro QB, 3 Star

2010 - Connor Wood, #5 Pro QB, 4 Star

This is exactly the problem with Texas QB recruiting. What does it matter what they are ranked in High school? The kids you listed here were all busts other than Ehlinger, Buechele was decent. If you can let us know where Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Drew Brees, Robert Griffin, Pat Mahomes, Colt McCoy, Nick Foles, etc.. I would venture to guess that they were probably all ranked below your list above. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree with this 100%. I remember thinking the exact same thing about the 1-9 record in small school football in North Texas. Thought about his size and if he truly were the next VY they’d have won every game just because of him.

I was super concerned about him from the start.

If you remember he battled injury that entire season too.  I’m not saying that was the reason they went 1-9, but it could’ve had an effect.  Also I’d never heard of whitewright before Tyrone Swoopes.  If there’d been much success in football I’d have heard of the place.  My guess is the coaching there wasn’t very good either.  Overrated or not, Swoopes should’ve never had an opportunity to fight for the qb spot until he was a RS junior or so.  He needed lots of development and learning of the game.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

This is exactly the problem with Texas QB recruiting. What does it matter what they are ranked in High school? The kids you listed here were all busts other than Ehlinger, Buechele was decent. If you can let us know where Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, Drew Brees, Robert Griffin, Pat Mahomes, Colt McCoy, Nick Foles, etc.. I would venture to guess that they were probably all ranked below your list above. 

If you asked Texas they probably got their #1 target most years. I don’t think that makes it a “recruiting” issue. They successfully recruited who they wanted.

You can nick pick the evaluation if you want, but if you go through the offer list for most of the guys you will probably see a lot of the typical powers offered those kids as well.

RG3, Manziel, and Baker make the problem seem worse, but I personally don’t think it’s fair the hold those three against Texas.  Most major programs missed on those guys. 

21 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If you remember he battled injury that entire season too.  I’m not saying that was the reason they went 1-9, but it could’ve had an effect.  Also I’d never heard of whitewright before Tyrone Swoopes.  If there’d been much success in football I’d have heard of the place.  My guess is the coaching there wasn’t very good either.  Overrated or not, Swoopes should’ve never had an opportunity to fight for the qb spot until he was a RS junior or so.  He needed lots of development and learning of the game.  

Yep, at the end he actually was used properly and did well. He had the 18-wheeler package, always played hard, was unselfish, was highly respected by the entire team and never got in trouble.

I ended up really liking and rooting for him to succeed. He’s the kind of guy you always want on your team! He had tons of pressure on him, had tons criticism thrown at him and he just kept trying and did continually improve. 

Milroe is a stud! He likely gives Texas a better shot at landing some other Houston area studs in the 2021 class than they had without his commitment. 

2021 recruiting has started much faster for Texas than 2020. I know Herman would prefer to wait but I applaud him for continuing to evolve.