Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

What a great atmosphere and great game. It absolutely lived up to the hype. That was worth the price of admission. 

Texas’ defense couldn’t get the stop it needed to complete the comeback. The young CBs and Sterns were baptized by fire tonight and they’ll get better because of it. 

Sam Ehlinger and his offense were incredible tonight. Loved what Roschon gave, Duve and Eagles played great, and Jake Smith got his first score. Sam is still struggling throwing the deep ball. 

Joe Borrow was insane! He put some balls on the money and had total control of the offense. That back shoulder TD pass right before the half away from the defender was perfect. Those WRs are really good. 

LSU needs to fire their conditions coach. Texas conditioning however was excellent. 

Texas is who we thought they were. Very good offense and decent but inexperienced defense. 

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Yeah Texas is one more class away from being stacked.

Next year in the Texas/LSU game Texas will be the visiting team with a ton of returning starters and LSU the home team replacing a chunk of guys.

The epitome of “we will get them next year”. Very positive and pleasant to read. Great post. 

Texas D was outmatched. Couldn’t blitz because they couldn’t hold up 1v1 against the LSU receivers. Couldn’t play coverage cause burrows is a stud. Dude is legit at spinning that thing. I am a firm believer in that guy after seeing a handful of throws from him. 

All in all UT is a lot better than they were last year and that is credited to the coaches imo. I hate Herman but he is a good coach and the DC has always been a lights out coach imo. 

3 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

The epitome of “we will get them next year”. Very positive and pleasant to read. Great post. 

Texas D was outmatched. Couldn’t blitz because they couldn’t hold up 1v1 against the LSU receivers. Couldn’t play coverage cause burrows is a stud. Dude is legit at spinning that thing. I am a firm believer in that guy after seeing a handful of throws from him. 

All in all UT is a lot better than they were last year and that is credited to the coaches imo. I hate Herman but he is a good coach and the DC has always been a lights out coach imo. 

As long as he doesn't see pressure coming. He played great last night but it was very obvious that pressure gets too him.

Bottom line IMO, LSU is a dam good football team.

4 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

As long as he doesn't see pressure coming. He played great last night but it was very obvious that pressure gets too him.

Bottom line IMO, LSU is a dam good football team.

I agree with you on both points. LSU has a really good team and Burrow is good, but doesn’t handle pressure very well.

When Texas got decent pressure he threw incompletions or went down.

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

This game was decided on the 3rd and 1 to start the second half for LSU. They can no longer line up under center and muscle you for those anymore. If they just muscle the first down there instead of a 3 and out, this game probably ends 45-17. Texas killed the LSU defense the following drive and made this game much closer than it might have been. I think Texas can score and LSU defense wore itself out in that drive and never got their legs back because of how quickly the offense was scoring. 

But I agree the LSU defense didn’t impress tonight in the second half. First half they played fine but conditioning is a major issue. 

The LSU DL was sub-par for sure compared to previous years

12 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree with you on both points. LSU has a really good team and Burrow is good, but doesn’t handle pressure very well.

When Texas got decent pressure he threw incompletions or went down.

He only had 7-8 incompletions in close to 30 attempts.  The sacks were mostly unavoidable and was just plain good D by Texas.

Congratulations to our resident LSU fans.

Y’all have a really tough team all the way around and an offense that’s 1,000,000 times better than years past.

LSU defense got quite a bit of pressure on Ehlinger in spurts throughout the game. Burrow is good when afforded the time and LSU has the better DBs. That true freshman, #24, who was a former 5 star CB did really well against Collin Johnson.

UT got beat by a better team last night.

There’s no shame in leaving it all out there and coming up short against a superior opponent. UT kept coming.

🤘🏻❗❗❗❗❗

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The LSU DL was sub-par for sure compared to previous years

Texas OL is night and day difference from 2 years ago.  Hand had been a great hire.

Honestly, Cosmi owned Chaisson last night.

It'll be interesting to see if he leaves after this season.  He may be a real early pick.

10 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Texas OL is night and day difference from 2 years ago.  Hand had been a great hire.

Honestly, Cosmi owned Chaisson last night.

It'll be interesting to see if he leaves after this season.  He may be a real early pick.

The entire UT OL player great, especially in the 2nd half

Nobody is talking about Big Sam shredding the vaunted LSU defense for 400+ yards. This LSU team supposedly had the best Defense in the Country. No surprises here, that the young UT corners got burned all night. Why did Orlando keep them in one on one coverage and kept blitzing? Overall, good showing by the Horns. The young CB"S need to grow up in a hurry. 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Nobody is talking about Big Sam shredding the vaunted LSU defense for 400+ yards. This LSU team supposedly had the best Defense in the Country. 

They do have a top defense.  Texas offense is pretty dang good.  Reality is Ehlinger and Tua are the only QB's that will really give that defense a tough time.  Arky, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Vandy, Florida + 2 remaining cupcakes = no way.  Auburn QB maybe, still a true freshman.  Mond?  Who knows. He could get hot or he could look downright awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots for the coaching staff to go over after viewing the film on this game, for sure.  We should see some serious defensive adjustments going forward and perhaps even some personnel changes in the coming weeks.  Overall I think most of the nation that watched this game came away thinking UT is back regardless of this loss.  The win was hard-earned by LSU all the way to the last minute.......even on the onsides kick that barely escaped being recovered by the Horns.  It was a very captivating game to watch in early season.  GO HORNS!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My takeaways 

The offense continues to impress me. Besides a few questionable play calls and missed passes by Sam, this team can put up points and do it fairly easy. The downside to the offense in this game is that they shot themselves in the foot too many times. But that’s why you play the game. They’ll learn from it and be just fine.

The defense is fast and very talented, but the inexperience showed. I counted too many times the Longhorn defense was not set when LSU snapped the ball. They were having a hard time keeping up. I thought it was them not being conditioned, but considering the fact that about 8 Tigers fell down because of cramps, I knew that wasn’t the case. The new guys just weren’t prepared for that fast paced offense. I don’t think it’s anything to be worried about as a Texas fan. Playing Big 12 teams every week will get them accustomed to that pace of play fairly quickly (hopefully). 

I also have to shoutout special teams. How good does it feel as a Texas fan to finally have a kicker and a punter who can do their job? Dicker is consistent, and Bujcevski has improved dramatically from is below par season last year. I know a lot of people don’t talk much about kickers and punters, but it really makes a difference in the game. I haven’t felt more comfortable with both our kickers. And that’s a good feeling considering the inconsistency we’ve had at those positions the past 10 years (minus Dickson). 

All in all, nothing to hang our head about. Just improve every week. Hookem

• Like 1

Just now, Red90fly said:

It's nice to finally be in a position to red shirt all incoming OL.  Angilau is following Cosmi as cracking the starting lineup as a red shirt freshman.

The oline played great last night and yes you are correct. Texas is finally getting a healthy situation in the oline room. 

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

It's nice to finally be in a position to red shirt all incoming OL.  Angilau is following Cosmi as cracking the starting lineup as a red shirt freshman.

That is the key to rebuilding a O-line unit. 

I remember when Bedenbaugh was hired at Oklahoma it  was really his 3rd season when the big changes happened.