Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Are people seriously believing Ed O on the whole AC thing? 

If we are to believe him, that means they sat in the locker room probably 3-4 hours prior to the game and didn’t have his SID or anyone find a Texas staffer to find out what was up. 

We also have to believe that it’s true and not one player or staff member said anything to the media or on social media. 

We also have to believe a well respected AD is just completely lying about it. 

That's true. 

And after all the lying they did about the "Jimbo's nephew punch" thing last year, it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I wonder if no AC was the reason for all the cramping that LSU experienced? 

I'll make a strong bet that the A/C was working just fine. La Tech hasn't responded for comment regarding the A/C issue. So I would say that he's just making that up.

What I don't get is all of the complaining from LSU and they won the dang game... Lol

After reading a few days worth of hate, and disdain on social media, I'll just vent my thoughts here.

1. Texas is back is not a comment that is made to say "We're invincible, we will never lose a game again." Texas is back, is a coined phrase that was mocked because of the horrible 3 years that was the "Strong Era." Is Texas back? Are they competing with Top 10 deservingly ranked teams? Yes. Are they a threat to make the CFP? Yes. Do they have the caliber of recruits to compete with the elite teams we know of today? Yes. I believe Texas is back, from the depths of 3 straight losing seasons and national mockery. I haven't been this thrilled to watch the Horns play since 2009. These boys have heart. They want to win. They want to make a statement. I love it. 

2. Todd Orlando didn't make adjustments to stop the LSU offense, and that's why we lost the game? False. The defense ran multiple packages. They blitzed. They played zone. They played man with high safeties. There's only so many adjustments to be made in 3 hours however. The fact of the matter is, Burrow had one of those "Can't seem to do anything wrong" type of games. You're great QBs will have those. There are times when you can put the ball into GREAT coverage, and it goes right where it has to. Burrow seemed to do that consistently Saturday. Could the coverage have been better? Definitely. There's always room for improvement. Which leads me to 3.

3. Texas secondary is terrible, and they cost us the game? That's a loaded statement. Texas secondary is young, very young. Most forget, we where bragging on these kids last year, and they were FRESHMAN. Not only were they freshman, but they had veteran players to aid them. Boyd looked rough at times, but he was also paired up with the best wideouts in the game. They leaves your high caliber freshman to handle the rest. I think we have a very talented DB unit. But, they do lack experience, and this was a good game for them to learn from. I think they will get a lot better in the weeks to come. Excited, to say the least.

4. Sam Ehlinger is the business. He made an impression on each and every LSU player and coach it seemed. Chaisson and Coach O's comments on him were great. It's nothing we didn't already know. The kid is a baller. He's the heart and soul of this team. I honestly don't know if I have ever enjoyed watching a player as much as him, just because I feel like he's the "realest" player I've seen. That kid has always bled burnt orange. He always seems to improve. He absolutely got roasted all week, from the thousands of texts, calls, voicemails, to the constant social media nonsense. He STILL went out and performed, arguably better than Burrow (considering the defense he was playing against, which I do felt played better than Texas' defense did."

5. I will always be an Ingram supporter. The kid is great, and will continue to get better. I just wish his first dropped pass would have come last week against LaTech. That's not our reason for losing, but we did seem to chase that touchdown for the rest of the game. I know it upset him. But I know he will put in the work to make sure that doesn't happen again. He'll work to improve off of that performance. 

6. I think this schedule will definitely pay off when the Red River Rivalry hits. I keep hearing all this chatter about how good OU is, but their schedule is horrendous. Who schedules someone like South Dakota State? How is that going to improve anything? Honestly, on that last TD by Spencer Rattler, I think my 5 year old could have thrown on that coverage. 

I can't wait till next year in Death Valley. I can't wait till the Red River Rivalry. This team is fun to watch. I also think we'll see a lot of defensive improvement over the next 2 weeks. Mark my words!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Speaking about whataboutism. 

I mean, you made it okay, apparently. 

"I'd rather throw drinks on an opposing team rather than threaten a coaches family"

Texas fans: Why not both? 

Alright alright… I'm done memeing for the day. 😂 

I hate that the behavior of some fans (not all by any means) overshadows what was a great football game, but that's how it is now, I guess, with social media and whatnot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

"I'd rather throw drinks on an opposing team rather than threaten a coaches family"

Texas fan: Why not both? 

You're assuming that I condone that behavior. I definitely don't. The student who threw the drink should have been removed from the game (that's the student section). If I had to pick my poison of terrible fan behavior (preferably none), I would rather see someone throw water from the fifth row that barely reaches anybody than somebody saying they would hang their family. Obviously both are not okay. I don't care if you're a Texas fan or not. It ain't cool.

And I hope that whoever sent that letter to Sumlin got what they deserved. You gotta be a sick person to do that kind of stuff.

31 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Texas fans: Why not both? 

Alright alright… I'm done memeing for the day. 😂 

I hate that the behavior of some fans (not all by any means) overshadows what was a great football game, but that's how it is now, I guess, with social media and whatnot. 

Agreed! 

My apologies- I didn't mean to insinuate that you were okay with it (or that Texas fans in general were). Heck, there have been some stupid Aggies over the years (the cadet who flung poop on the Texas band comes to mind- thankfully he was kicked out of the corps and school). Meant more of it to be in jest, but I definitely see how it could come across otherwise, especially for such a sensitive subject. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

After reading a few days worth of hate, and disdain on social media, I'll just vent my thoughts here.

1. Texas is back is not a comment that is made to say "We're invincible, we will never lose a game again." Texas is back, is a coined phrase that was mocked because of the horrible 3 years that was the "Strong Era." Is Texas back? Are they competing with Top 10 deservingly ranked teams? Yes. Are they a threat to make the CFP? Yes. Do they have the caliber of recruits to compete with the elite teams we know of today? Yes. I believe Texas is back, from the depths of 3 straight losing seasons and national mockery. I haven't been this thrilled to watch the Horns play since 2009. These boys have heart. They want to win. They want to make a statement. I love it. 

2. Todd Orlando didn't make adjustments to stop the LSU offense, and that's why we lost the game? False. The defense ran multiple packages. They blitzed. They played zone. They played man with high safeties. There's only so many adjustments to be made in 3 hours however. The fact of the matter is, Burrow had one of those "Can't seem to do anything wrong" type of games. You're great QBs will have those. There are times when you can put the ball into GREAT coverage, and it goes right where it has to. Burrow seemed to do that consistently Saturday. Could the coverage have been better? Definitely. There's always room for improvement. Which leads me to 3.

3. Texas secondary is terrible, and they cost us the game? That's a loaded statement. Texas secondary is young, very young. Most forget, we where bragging on these kids last year, and they were FRESHMAN. Not only were they freshman, but they had veteran players to aid them. Boyd looked rough at times, but he was also paired up with the best wideouts in the game. They leaves your high caliber freshman to handle the rest. I think we have a very talented DB unit. But, they do lack experience, and this was a good game for them to learn from. I think they will get a lot better in the weeks to come. Excited, to say the least.

4. Sam Ehlinger is the business. He made an impression on each and every LSU player and coach it seemed. Chaisson and Coach O's comments on him were great. It's nothing we didn't already know. The kid is a baller. He's the heart and soul of this team. I honestly don't know if I have ever enjoyed watching a player as much as him, just because I feel like he's the "realest" player I've seen. That kid has always bled burnt orange. He always seems to improve. He absolutely got roasted all week, from the thousands of texts, calls, voicemails, to the constant social media nonsense. He STILL went out and performed, arguably better than Burrow (considering the defense he was playing against, which I do felt played better than Texas' defense did."

5. I will always be an Ingram supporter. The kid is great, and will continue to get better. I just wish his first dropped pass would have come last week against LaTech. That's not our reason for losing, but we did seem to chase that touchdown for the rest of the game. I know it upset him. But I know he will put in the work to make sure that doesn't happen again. He'll work to improve off of that performance. 

6. I think this schedule will definitely pay off when the Red River Rivalry hits. I keep hearing all this chatter about how good OU is, but their schedule is horrendous. Who schedules someone like South Dakota State? How is that going to improve anything? Honestly, on that last TD by Spencer Rattler, I think my 5 year old could have thrown on that coverage. 

I can't wait till next year in Death Valley. I can't wait till the Red River Rivalry. This team is fun to watch. I also think we'll see a lot of defensive improvement over the next 2 weeks. Mark my words!

I'll also add to this that Texad has the best OL its had in a long time and healthy talented room to boot.  In 2 years a joke of a unit has become stout/team strength and was at times owning LSU the other night.  Hand was a great hire and he's killing it in recruiting as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Great post, can’t find anything I disagree with here. 

Ok State in two weeks is the test to see if the young DBs have learned anything. 

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Great post, can’t find anything I disagree with here. 

Ok State in two weeks is the test to see if the young DBs have learned anything. 

Yep. You know Gundy will put them to the test. Would be nice to see a convincing W over Ok State for once. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

My apologies- I didn't mean to insinuate that you were okay with it (or that Texas fans in general were). Heck, there have been some stupid Aggies over the years (the cadet who flung poop on the Texas band comes to mind- thankfully he was kicked out of the corps and school). Meant more of it to be in jest, but I definitely see how it could come across otherwise, especially for such a sensitive subject. 

All good here 👍

2 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I'll also add to this that Texad has the best OL its had in a long time and healthy talented room to boot.  In 2 years a joke of a unit has become stout/team strength and was at times owning LSU the other night.  Hand was a great hire and he's killing it in recruiting as well.

I agree! This team would beat teams of the Strong era into submission. They just play with more fight. They're not on their phones at halftime tweeting either LOL. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Are people seriously believing Ed O on the whole AC thing? 

If we are to believe him, that means they sat in the locker room probably 3-4 hours prior to the game and didn’t have his SID or anyone find a Texas staffer to find out what was up. 

We also have to believe that it’s true and not one player or staff member said anything to the media or on social media. 

We also have to believe a well respected AD is just completely lying about it. 

Ed O said in that same interview that LSU traveled with "fans" to the game after talking to LA Tech.  They basically traveled with portable ACs and fans to help distribute the air...

and he wouldn't come out publicly and say that if it weren't true  (or at least believed by him and his staff to be true).

And what the AD said is that "we checked the ACs after the report and they are in perfect working condition."  Which means that they could have been disabled or turned off prior to the game.  He also said he received no reports of any AC problems during LSU's arrival... Which is also probably factual.  Most of us involved in football programs perceive this as "gamesmanship."  Meaning you do it to us, we do it to you... so no, they aren't going to report it.

So no one has been called a liar... I believe all of the truth is out there... but how you put it together can be with whatever tinted glasses you want it to be.

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

So funny story. 

We had a home and home schedule with this relatively unknown school name Louisiana State University. However, they kept pushing the it back and back and Oklahoma was just forced to fill their schedule. 

Side note: That is only the 4th time Oklahoma has had to play a FCS school in the last 20 years. 

18 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Ed O said in that same interview that LSU traveled with "fans" to the game after talking to LA Tech.  They basically traveled with portable ACs and fans to help distribute the air...

and he wouldn't come out publicly and say that if it weren't true  (or at least believed by him and his staff to be true).

And what the AD said is that "we checked the ACs after the report and they are in perfect working condition."  Which means that they could have been disabled or turned off prior to the game.  He also said he received no reports of any AC problems during LSU's arrival... Which is also probably factual.  Most of us involved in football programs perceive this as "gamesmanship."  Meaning you do it to us, we do it to you... so no, they aren't going to report it.

So no one has been called a liar... I believe all of the truth is out there... but how you put it together can be with whatever tinted glasses you want it to be.

I talked to a buddy of mine who is on staff. He said that the visiting locker room is under Moncrief, which is under construction. Therefore the A/C may not be 68 degrees, but it was by no means inhumane, or even turned off for that matter. The officials locker room is right next door. And I trust him on that, because this is something he could for sure lose his job over due to the position he holds. 

I didn't hear Ed O's presser so I'm not sure exactly what he said, but from the excerpts I've read, he didn't say they didn't have A/C at all, but rather the A/C wasn't good. And that actually makes sense given the that the area the visiting locker room is in is under construction. But I don't think Texas did it on purpose or as some kind of game plan. It's going to be like that the rest of the year most likely. And that's me trying to see this without the burnt orange glasses on. 

40 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

La Techs coach Holtz was quoted refuting talking to LSU officials about this. 

Coach O is blaming Texas stadium staff for his players not being properly conditioned and hydrated. Everyone that would have some kind of knowledge about it has called BS. So I’ll say coach O is lying without any glasses on. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Agreed. On #4, give me Colt McCoy but you can't go wrong with Sam. #5 , I cant go with you on Ingram. I know he's an East Texas kid but dont see the jump in improvement from last year to this year. #2 should get a closer look at the starting RB spot. Speaking of RB, its been a while since Texas has had a difference maker. Where have the Ricky Williams, Cedric Bensons, Priest Holmes, etc. Gone?

17 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Agreed. On #4, give me Colt McCoy but you can't go wrong with Sam. #5 , I cant go with you on Ingram. I know he's an East Texas kid but dont see the jump in improvement from last year to this year. #2 should get a closer look at the starting RB spot. Speaking of RB, its been a while since Texas has had a difference maker. Where have the Ricky Williams, Cedric Bensons, Priest Holmes, etc. Gone?

Yesterday Herman said Ingram was is playing at about 75%. 

I bet he doesn’t play much vs Rice and then he’ll go into Ok State at almost 100%. Then bye week before WVU and RRR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yesterday Herman said Ingram was is playing at about 75%. 

I bet he doesn’t play much vs Rice and then he’ll go into Ok State at almost 100%. Then bye week before WVU and RRR. 

The Rice game will be the perfect opportunity anyway to give Roschon a ton of carries, and let him get a better grasp of the position. 

• Like 2