Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Besides LSU, the defense has been pretty stellar considering the injuries imo. They've been good against the run, but I do think the secondary has been shaky. 

They've definitely been much better against the run, but I wouldn't call them stellar by any means. They gave up 30 to Ok State, nearly 500 yards, forced 4 turnovers against WV, and still gave up another 31, and nearly 500 yards again. Oh, and that was also a WV team who had only cracked 30 one time all season, even though their schedule consisted of...James Madison, Missouri, North Carolina State, and Kansas. 

24 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The years where it was supposed to be competitive is the times where Oklahoma has beat the ugly off of Texas. 

When Oklahoma is the heavy favorite then Texas usually plays up.

That's why ou /tex one of the best rivalries . What the series record?

30 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I'm not sure Texas has enough defense to win this game. Coming into the season, replacing 8 defensive starters, I expected the first game or two to have some bumps. However, I also fully expected the defense to be even better than last year, by this point in the season. I truly thought the talent that was taking over was better than that it was replacing. Now, I don't know if the talent isn't as good as I thought it was, or if it's simply been a case of one injury after another, but either way, the defense hasn't been able to anyone from scoring. 

I think this will be a high scoring game. I just hope Texas comes out with the higher score. 

I, like you, was expecting the defense to be better but they’ve struggled. The dline has been better vs the run. The LBs are playing better now that they’ve switched Mitchell for McCoullgh. The DBs have struggled minus Jones. Brown has been a surprise, Green injured, Sterns injured, Overshown injured, Foster back but not able to play his ideal role. Jamison looked good Saturday in coverage but doesn’t tackle as well as Green. Cook looked much better Saturday than early in the season. 

This game is a test to see how far the defense has come since LSU but to me the biggest question mark is tackling. Hurts isn’t going to stand in the pocket like Burrow and pick you apart. He’s going to get the ball out quick and Texas has to tackle freaky athletes in space. Then there is Hurts using his legs that will keep drives alive and frustrate the defense. Orlando and Texas haven’t been good vs Dual threat QBs. 

All that we know, the biggest question of this game is how much has the Ou defense really improved? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

They've definitely been much better against the run, but I wouldn't call them stellar by any means. They gave up 30 to Ok State, nearly 500 yards, forced 4 turnovers against WV, and still gave up another 31, and nearly 500 yards again. Oh, and that was also a WV team who had only cracked 30 one time all season, even though their schedule consisted of...James Madison, Missouri, North Carolina State, and Kansas. 

Yeah. I mean we are their superbowl though. Like they said during the game - There are 11 teams that consider Texas their rival, and Texas only considers 2 teams to be their rivals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I'm not sure Texas has enough defense to win this game. Coming into the season, replacing 8 defensive starters, I expected the first game or two to have some bumps. However, I also fully expected the defense to be even better than last year, by this point in the season. I truly thought the talent that was taking over was better than that it was replacing. Now, I don't know if the talent isn't as good as I thought it was, or if it's simply been a case of one injury after another, but either way, the defense hasn't been able to anyone from scoring. 

I think this will be a high scoring game. I just hope Texas comes out with the higher score. 

The problem is orlando’s Stubbornness to not get a 4th true DL on the field.  No pass rush is killing this defense.  You can’t ask dbs to cover that long 45 times a game

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The problem is orlando’s Stubbornness to not get a 4th true DL on the field.  No pass rush is killing this defense.  You can’t ask dbs to cover that long 45 times a game

maybe he'll pull that out this game...as the special scheme...that the Sooners haven't seen. 

21 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Still think he can be great at UT.

I actually now think something big is going have to change with Ingram...to have that big UT career or I see him transferring somewhere because he'll be lost in the mix. Texas will start going more and more to Johnson because he's elusive and just sees the hole and makes the accurate hop to get over to it quickly (the burst). I'm not seeing it right now with Ingram...he's actually looking slower and slower with the more success that Johnson has...that actually seems to affect him during the games. Is he mentally taking note of the huge stat differential and saying dang the fans, coaches, and teammates have got to notice this disparity if I'm here in the backfield and notice it.

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I’ve expected his return to be in this game since they first announced he was going to be out for a significant time.

I bet the running game will look promising with him and Ingram in the same backfield or they could split some carries and ease the load.

36 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I wonder if he's trying to keep the Sooner scouting off base. If he has had no setbacks...they had planned on him being back for Oklahoma. Odd...

His recovery timetable was 4-6 weeks. I believe they announced the surgery prior to the LSU game but he didn’t actually have the surgery until the following week. So this is week 5 since the surgery. I was expecting him back this week but it’s reasonable to think that Texas will be fine at RB without him for another week. 

Young and Kirk Johnson are back from injury, Ingram is still #1 on today’s depth chart and RoJo has exceeded expectations. 

If you absolutely don't have to play Whittington, don't risk him this game. Chances are that Texas and OU will meet again in December regardless of outcome of Saturday. I just don't like the idea of him being thrown in there too fast just for 1 game. 

• Like 3