Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

Big plays plagued Texas today on defense.  The defense plays decent enough 80% of the time but when it goes bad it is totally off of the rails.

Duvernay returning kicks today was ill advised.  Started each series too deep as a result.

Ehlinger was off today.  Would have expected him to tuck it and run more often.

The offense was too East/West today.  When Texas did stretch the field the DB's interferred.  Should have went deep more often.

I think Ingram has been supplanted by RoJo.

1 minute ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Big plays plagued Texas today on defense.  The defense plays decent enough 80% of the time but when it goes bad it is totally off of the rails.

Duvernay returning kicks today was ill advised.  Started each series too deep as a result.

Ehlinger was off today.  Would have expected him to tuck it and run more often.

The offense was too East/West today.  When Texas did stretch the field the DB's interferred.  Should have went deep more often.

I think Ingram has been supplanted by RoJo.

Yep, on All points.

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

OU defensive backs got away with a lot of holding and early contact the entire game ...

That’s what their coach teaches. He predicts that the officials aren’t going to throw the flag enough for it to really hurt the defense and you saw exactly that today. 

The 3 man front is killing the entire defense.  Not being able to force a qb up into a pocket that you can collapse with guys like coburn ####.  It also forces cb’s to get off of blocks in a hurry (in the run game) to even have a chance at containment.  This scheme is killing the defense.  It’ll be the reason Texas doesn’t win the conference as long as Orlando employs the 3 man front.  This conference has creative playcallers that will exploit it.  They’ll Be able to beat run heavy teams like Georgia that don’t really try to set the edge and muscles their opponents.  No pressure from the sorry lack of pass rush keeps the dbs in coverage far too long.  They’ll always look awful statistically.  They need to tackle better too.  

5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Herman at is post-game presser said that McColluch has a dislocated shoulder and DB Brown (?) has broken forearm.  Colin Johnson left the game due to a head injury due to helmet to helmet contact.

I also assume that Roach will miss the first half next week.

Rough year on the injury front for a defense that is playing a lot of young guys. 

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Nah, OU was the better team today, no doubt.

Good win, Texas tried to mount a comeback, but the defense was too tired to make another big stand down 7.

I don’t disagree OU was the better team today. Think Herman could have opened up his play book if they hadn’t put themselves in poor field position after kickoffs. Defense did not contain the edge very well.

Injuries have taken a toll on the defense.

Congrats on the win.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

The 3 man front is killing the entire defense.  Not being able to force a qb up into a pocket that you can collapse with guys like coburn ####.  It also forces cb’s to get off of blocks in a hurry (in the run game) to even have a chance at containment.  This scheme is killing the defense.  It’ll be the reason Texas doesn’t win the conference as long as Orlando employs the 3 man front.  This conference has creative playcallers that will exploit it.  They’ll Be able to beat run heavy teams like Georgia that don’t really try to set the edge and muscles their opponents.  No pressure from the sorry lack of pass rush keeps the dbs in coverage far too long.  They’ll always look awful statistically.  They need to tackle better too.  

Man I know you keep talking about the 3 man front killing Texas but I think it has a lot to do with what personnel they have available. We are hurting on the defensive line with depth, and we have a lot of guys that can run in the back 8. We can run a productive 3 man front if we use pressure periodically and contain leverage or gap integrity. Even at times when we blitzed 5-6, we had two guys blitzing the same gap. This might work against QBs with less experience, but it didn't phase Hurt. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Kirk Herbstreit said on game day this morning that for Texas to win, they'd need to outscore OU.

Lol, dude went to the John Madden school of broadcasting. 

"Well Pat I feel like this game is gonna come down to which team can make the most plays."   :D 

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Nah, OU was the better team today, no doubt.

Good win, Texas tried to mount a comeback, but the defense was too tired to make another big stand down 7.

Yes. OU was the better team ... still their DBs got away with murder ....

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

41 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

By the way, how old is CeeDee Lamb. I feel like we've been trying to tackle that guy for 10 years. Was the guy today CeeDee Jr? He needs to move on to the NFL.

I swear I watched Shipley play 9 seasons. Dude was 31 his senior season. 

• LOL! 1

32 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Yes. OU was the better team ... still their DBs got away with murder ....

I'll cop to that, if you'll admit UT's o-line straight up tackled our d-line for four quarters.

It didn't really help, but...  it's the principle of the thing.