Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

22 minutes ago, AKA said:

I'll cop to that, if you'll admit UT's o-line straight up tackled our d-line for four quarters.

It didn't really help, but...  it's the principle of the thing. 

OU tackled a couple our players well after that play was over and nothing was called. Murray should have been flagged for targeting on Elhinger but nothing. End of the day poor play by the Texas offense is the reason why they lost. 

5 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

End of the day poor play by the Texas offense is the reason why they lost. 

Agree. 

I can't think of any one call (or series of calls) that would've swung the outcome one way or the other. 

While I'm not "happy" with the refs, I don't think they drastically impacted the outcome. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Agree. 

I can't think of any one call (or series of calls) that would've swung the outcome one way or the other. 

While I'm not "happy" with the refs, I don't think they drastically impacted the outcome. 

Texas missed too many tackles and dropped too many passes and OU didn't. OU was constantly disrupting the line of scrimmage and had 8 or 9 sacks and Texas had none. Penalties didn't lose Texas the game, better team won today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

Man I know you keep talking about the 3 man front killing Texas but I think it has a lot to do with what personnel they have available. We are hurting on the defensive line with depth, and we have a lot of guys that can run in the back 8. We can run a productive 3 man front if we use pressure periodically and contain leverage or gap integrity. Even at times when we blitzed 5-6, we had two guys blitzing the same gap. This might work against QBs with less experience, but it didn't phase Hurt. 

Well I guess we can keep trying the same thing expecting different results.🤷🏼‍♂️

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Well I guess we can keep trying the same thing expecting different results.🤷🏼‍♂️

Texas is hurting at quite a few positions due to injury.  They lucked out with Johnson being able to fill in the way he has at RB. He was the spark for the Longhorns in the 2nd half.

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Texas is hurting at quite a few positions due to injury.  They lucked out with Johnson being able to fill in the way he has at RB. He was the spark for the Longhorns in the 2nd half.

Yes they are.  But DT they aren’t.  Worrying about redshirting a guy so he can transfer shouldn’t be a concern for Texas.  If they can play, they need to play.  I say add another DT in and let Roach/Graham slide outside the OT’s outside shoulder.    They’re athletic enough.  At least make the OT have to  move back and form a pocket.  Coburn demands a double team every play.  My thoughts are you should be able to get pressure with 4, maybe blitz one from time to time.  At least contain the Qb to a pocket and not have to blitz both LB from the middle just to create pressure.  Pressure made hurts uncomfortable today, but what good is blitzing if there’s no containment or pocket?  

1 hour ago, HJR7 said:

Ingram doesnt fit well in the offense, Ehlinger let's face it, isn't a good QB. You rely too much on him and teams know that.

Ingram would fit just fine into the offense if they gave him run plays that have a chance at success. Seems he rarely has a hole to run through. UT is going to need Ingram and he needs to step it up. I don’t think he’s been used properly, but I also think he needs to run with more intensity. We know he can, we’ve seen it and he will do it again.

*long post but I feel better saying it out loud lol. 

What a terrible time to play your worst game of the year. 
First, hats off to Ou and their defense. Their improvement was the unknown wild card going into the game and they were the best unit on the field yesterday. 

Second, while the Texas defense played hard, they were set up to fail. Ou used jet sweep motion to move the Texas defense away from where they were running. Orlando usually attacks the run with numbers and is burned by the pass but yesterday his defense was sitting back, I assume to not get beat deep, and it made for an easy play calling day for Riley. 

Third, Beck/Herman/Hand has their worst day to date with the offense. The oline by far played their worst game and after last weeks game(WVU) it’s evident that they struggle with stunts from the dline. Angilau, I’ll cut a little slack, he’s a RSfr and  his strength is run blocking. Kerstetter and Shackleford were repeatedly beat and really struggled. Texas came into the game wanting to use their size and toughness on the edge much like last year but Grinch watched the tape too, Ou attacked the wr screens and RB swing pass with numbers a consistently dropped Texas for losses. Texas was behind the chains all day and the Ou dline was able to pin their ears back and rush the passer. In the second half Texas made a few adjustments with Roschon and Collin Johnson but they offense stalled again after Johnson was knocked out of the game with a probable concussion. Eagles and Epps weren’t good and the offensive staff chose Brewer over Jake Smith. 

From Brian Davis: Texas WR Devin Duvernay on his kick return struggles: "I made a couple of bad decisions. I should have fair caught some of them. I was just trying to get something going."

When the offense struggled the players started pressing. Duverney admittedly tried to do too much and it looked like that all day from the whole offense. The team didn’t play well but I thought the coaches were out coached from the start and it was the difference in the game. 
I will give a ton of credit to the players for not giving in and for the culture that Herman as created. Yesterday was the type of game that Mack or Strong teams lose by 3-4 TDs but this team never gave up and lost by a touchdown in a game they shouldn’t have been even close in. 

Texas has lost 2 games to top 5 teams by a total of 14 points. The goal of a conference championship is still there. I wish Texas wasn’t so banged up on defense because I’d like to know if the defensive issues are on Orlando or if the injuries are the biggest issue. I tend to lean towards the injuries and youth being the biggest issue but yesterday Orlando was just as big of an issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

First, hats off to Ou and their defense. Their improvement was the unknown wild card going into the game and they were the best unit on the field yesterday. 

Second, while the Texas defense played hard, they were set up to fail. Ou used jet sweep motion to move the Texas defense away from where they were running. Orlando usually attacks the run with numbers and is burned by the pass but yesterday his defense was sitting back, I assume to not get beat deep, and it made for an easy play calling day for Riley. 

Third, Beck/Herman/Hand has their worst day to date with the offense. The oline by far played their worst game and after last weeks game(WVU) it’s evident that they struggle with stunts from the dline. Angilau, I’ll cut a little slack, he’s a RSfr and  his strength is run blocking. Kerstetter and Shackleford were repeatedly beat and really struggled. Texas came into the game wanting to use their size and toughness on the edge much like last year but Grinch watched the tape too, Ou attacked the wr screens and RB swing pass with numbers a consistently dropped Texas for losses. Texas was behind the chains all day and the Ou dline was able to pin their ears back and rush the passer. In the second half Texas made a few adjustments with Roschon and Collin Johnson but they offense stalled again after Johnson was knocked out of the game with a probable concussion. Eagles and Epps weren’t good and the offensive staff chose Brewer over Jake Smith. 

From Brian Davis: Texas WR Devin Duvernay on his kick return struggles: "I made a couple of bad decisions. I should have fair caught some of them. I was just trying to get something going."

When the offense struggled the players started pressing. Duverney admittedly tried to do too much and it looked like that all day from the whole offense. The team didn’t play well but I thought the coaches were out coached from the start and it was the difference in the game. 
I will give a ton of credit to the players for not giving in and for the culture that Herman as created. Yesterday was the type of game that Mack or Strong teams lose by 3-4 TDs but this team never gave up and lost by a touchdown in a game they shouldn’t have been even close in. 

Texas has lost 2 games to top 5 teams by a total of 14 points. The goal of a conference championship is still there. I wish Texas wasn’t so banged up on defense because I’d like to know if the defensive issues are on Orlando or if the injuries are the biggest issue. I tend to lean towards the injuries and youth being the biggest issue but yesterday Orlando was just as big of an issue. 

Good post. Not sure if enough Credit has been given to OU. They are a Top 5 team in the Nation for a reason. Herman is 1-3 against OU at Texas and all 4 games have been 1 score games. I thought Hurts was the best QB on the field and his ability to extend drives with his legs was the difference in the game. Those were back breaking. With the injuries that Texas had, I thought they played a pretty good game. Looking forward to a rematch in the Big 12 Championship. It's been a while since Texas has won the Conference and that goal is still in reach. 

5 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Very well said. Agree with this 

7 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I heard a stat during the game that the defense has the most missed tackles in the country. I know that’s a controversial stat but after watching the ou game I believe it. That to me isn’t necessarily just the defense having injuries, but a problem in general. Orlando is a great DC, but his refusal to get out of the 3 man front as well as the tackling issues have to be concerning for Texas fans going forward imo. 

I think Texas is still on an upward trajectory. The two losses aren’t bad by any means. Now if they drop more than 1 against baylor, tech or Iowa st then I think it’s cause for concern. This team should finish no worse than 9-3 this year. 

This is the worst defense statistically for Texas in a very long time. At this point, I'm wondering if Orlando and his staff watch any practice or game film. Tackling is as bad as I've ever seen it. Part of me wants to say the guys are so worried about getting a penalty they are tackling soft, but I don't see this happening with other teams as bad as it does with Texas. Regardless... this team is horrible with taking angles. I thought it was pretty much a golden rule on defense to not follow the same color jersey when attacking a ball carrier - we do this ALL THE TIME! What the Heck? Am I supposed to tackle the back of the guy in front of me? These guys need to learn how to keep leverage and play off their teammates. If I've got outside contain, I tackle with my inside shoulder (the shoulder away from the near sideline). If I'm coming from the inside out, I tackle with my outside shoulder so I don't over run the ball carrier. If I'm following the my teammate, I take an upfield or downfield angle off my teammate's shoulder. It's really not that hard. Our OLBs and DBs that have outside contain need to quit running up to the lead blockers and squaring up on them because we end up getting hooked or driven away from the ball. Attack that block with the inside shoulder and make a friggin play! Orlando needs to let it eat or this team could get beat by Iowa State, TCU and Baylor. I feel we can take Tech and K-State without a great defensive effort.

Just my 2 cents. I'm backing away from the ledge now.