Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

25 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

RJ avg'd over 11 ypc on Saturday, yet was only given 8 carries. I understand he had a 57 yard run that went into that avg, but that run is also why opponents would rather see Ingram than RJ...because only one of them seems to be capable of doing that. 

As for how it would make Ingram feel if he's replaced, I have two thoughts...

1) What if it also pushes him harder?

2) I'm not worried about his feelings anyway, lol. The goal is to put the best player on the field, not worry with hurt feelings. 

I agree with #2. 

Also with Whittington almost ready to come back I think you can afford to see if Ingram checks out or if it pushes him. 

39 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I agree with #2. 

Also with Whittington almost ready to come back I think you can afford to see if Ingram checks out or if it pushes him. 

As excited as I am to see Whittington back, I think they should ease him in (once he does come back, that is). His injury has been a nagging one since last year; no sense in re-aggravating it. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

As a Sooner, obviously I'm biased, but I can say that (going into the RRS) I was never concerned with Ingram as a threat... 

My concerns were two things:
1.) the physical mismatch between your tall WRs and our short DBs.
2.) the capability of Roschon Johnson to take a routine draw play into a big run.

Ingram was a non-factor in last year's RRS and was invisible the following December. But hey, keep doing what you're doing. Honestly, I hope Ingram is the featured back in the Big XII game. I like our chances in that situation. 

The only reason people here still believe in Ingram is because he is from Carthage.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

59 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The only reason people here still believe in Ingram is because he is from Carthage.

you're exactly right...if he was from Cleveland, Texas or Albuquerque, New Mexico we'd be screaming to get rid of that "mental midget" and stop wasting carries! I'm interested in seeing the offense run most efficiently -- with the most octane!!! you can't GO BIG and be a marshmallow...unless your name is Staypuff  

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I am a Longhorn fan first so naturally I want the best players playing. With that said, being that Ingram is a local product I do want to see him be successful and I don’t want to write him off just yet. But, team first.

OK, I gotta say it and get a little feedback on some of the things bothering me as far as burnt orange goes...

(1) we've discussed some, Ingram still getting as many opportunities as he's getting...Roschon Johnson is our CLEAR #1 right now and we should be using that. why the heck did we limit his carries so badly Saturday...big mistake.

(2) this is something I've fussed about for the last 3 games...why is Jake Smith now not a part of the offense? those first 3 or so games he had taken up a Jordan Shipley type role that was quite dangerous. he muffed a punt and it seemed he hasn't had an opportunity since...why? he was dangerous. he has had some catches late, but Epps, Marcus Washington and John Burt are all getting much more playing time and make LESS impact. 

(3) why is Epps seeing so much time at WR? he would be a dangerous TE maybe to blow by a LB down a seam...

~ this isn't an issue yet, but when Whittington is back...I'd hope he is a WR/slot that catches balls out on the edges and in that 5 to 15 yard and go range (out front & wheel routes) -- leaving Johnson at full-time RB. where there is a flashing "DANGER DANGER" sign all the way around the field for the defense. could you imagine Whittington, Duvernay, Colin Johnson, Jake Smith and a TE (Brewer or Epps)...with Sam and Roschon in the backfield. Yikes!!!

14 minutes ago, bigdawg16 said:

I don't think Roschon goes back to QB with Card and Milroe coming in behind him. If Bijan Robinson sticks to his commitment and is what he is being built up to be i can see Ingram 3rd on the depth chart in a hurry.

I think you give him the opportunity to go through offseason and spring as a qb.  Then after fall practice if he’s past second team you move him back to RB and emergency qb.  He definitely needs to work on his blocking though. At least Ingram will throw a shoulder into somebody, which is how he got dinged up against WVU.  Johnson didn’t lift a hand at the blitz Saturday.

• Stinks 1

36 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

OK, I gotta say it and get a little feedback on some of the things bothering me as far as burnt orange goes...

(1) we've discussed some, Ingram still getting as many opportunities as he's getting...Roschon Johnson is our CLEAR #1 right now and we should be using that. why the heck did we limit his carries so badly Saturday...big mistake.

(2) this is something I've fussed about for the last 3 games...why is Jake Smith now not a part of the offense? those first 3 or so games he had taken up a Jordan Shipley type role that was quite dangerous. he muffed a punt and it seemed he hasn't had an opportunity since...why? he was dangerous. he has had some catches late, but Epps, Marcus Washington and John Burt are all getting much more playing time and make LESS impact. 

(3) why is Epps seeing so much time at WR? he would be a dangerous TE maybe to blow by a LB down a seam...

~ this isn't an issue yet, but when Whittington is back...I'd hope he is a WR/slot that catches balls out on the edges and in that 5 to 15 yard and go range (out front & wheel routes) -- leaving Johnson at full-time RB. where there is a flashing "DANGER DANGER" sign all the way around the field for the defense. could you imagine Whittington, Duvernay, Colin Johnson, Jake Smith and a TE (Brewer or Epps)...with Sam and Roschon in the backfield. Yikes!!!

1. The last 2 games RoJo has out touched Ingram 34-16. Despite not being the guy on the first drive Roschon is basically getting the starter snaps. 

2. I’d like to know the answer here too. I thought after the Rice game Smith would basically become the 4th WR moving Brewer to the bench. But he’s just coming in when Duverney needs a breather. He needs more snaps. 

3. Epps doesn’t like contact. That was the knock on him coming out of high school and it’s very evident in how easily a DB can disrupt his route. 

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think you give him the opportunity to go through offseason and spring as a qb.  Then after fall practice if he’s past second team you move him back to RB and emergency qb.  He definitely needs to work on his blocking though. At least Ingram will throw a shoulder into somebody, which is how he got dinged up against WVU.  Johnson didn’t lift a hand at the blitz Saturday.

RoJo is a willing blocker he’s just never had to do it before now. The way that kid is wired I’d bet we see improvements on this starting this week. 

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

RoJo is a willing blocker he’s just never had to do it before now. The way that kid is wired I’d bet we see improvements on this starting this week. 

Willing means he is doing it.  What I saw shows me unwillingness.  He didn’t even try.  I do hope we see improvements as he’s clearly becoming the best back.

• Stinks 1

17 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Willing means he is doing it.  What I saw shows me unwillingness.  He didn’t even try.  I do hope we see improvements as he’s clearly becoming the best back.

Go watch him pick up blitzes in other games, particularly vs LSU. He’s more than willing. 

3 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Ingram got 2 carries against Oklahoma. 

55 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Ingram got 2 carries against Oklahoma. 

That’s right, how can he produce when he’s not given the opportunity? They run him out as the starter and don’t give him carries.

Everybody seems to forget he was the #1 RB is Texas and #6 nationally coming out of high school. He is good, just needs to Coaches to give him the same freaking runs runs they give to Johnson and it’s better production.

Ingram would’ve scored on that same long run roJo had in the RRS on Saturday. It’s not that he’s from Carthage that he has support on here. The dude is good and has not been given the opportunities people think he has.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AKA said:

Decent, sure, but "decent" against one of the worst defenses in college football should not be UT's standard.

Plus, again, he was irrelevant in the conference championship game.

But hey, don't listen to me. Give him 20-30 carries a game. Fine by me.  ;) 

If he got 20-30 he’d actually put up yards and touchdowns. He gets 3 or 4 real rushing plays per game, it’s ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That’s right, how can he produce when he’s not given the opportunity? They run him out as the starter and don’t give him carries.

Everybody seems to forget he was the #1 RB is Texas and #6 nationally coming out of high school. He is good, just needs to Coaches to give him the same freaking runs runs they give to Johnson and it’s better production.

Ingram would’ve scored on that same long run roJo had in the RRS on Saturday. It’s not that he’s from Carthage that he has support on here. The dude is good and has not been given the opportunities people think he has.

stop being a Carthage homer...some of these statements are silly. Ingram has gotten to where he is slow in his movements and cuts. he isn't breaking tackles. he is now expecting to be tackled instead of expecting to pop a big play...which is the way I would think you want all your stars (with breakaway speed and power to be). as you pointed out his HS rankings...in that, I'm sure he has had a relative expectation that "it was going to be as easy" here at Texas as it was for him at Carthage --> he may have never verbalized it, but he had some decent games and tons of press & expectations prior to and early in his FR year. people talked about that he might have been our best FR RB ever (just about) and his stats were heading in that direction prior to the dings he had. all talk was that he was bigger, faster and ready to blow it up this year...and now he's looking to have moved backwards from where he was his FR year. he needs to take every opportunity with the ball to run with total wild abandon the way he did in HS. run like his expectation is to take every ball "to the house". don't THINK so much...play freely, otherwise he may want to start checking out Southland conference squads for a transfer to get his world together. 

I'm not going to get on here and bash any of our players, but I do agree that it appears that Ingram is running timid. He's gotten plenty of opportunities to run downhill, but he only hits it hard downhill when the hole is wide open. The difference I see with Johnson is he runs downhill regardless of the size of the hole. Ingram needs to find another gear in the backfield. We've seen him use it at times, and he's a heck of a runner in the open field. If he broke the run like Johnson did against OU, I think he would have scored. Saying that, stop dancing around in the backfield. Even if the play called is a counter. Sometimes the back beats the lineman to the hole because the lineman gets caught up in trash. If Ingram sits back and waits, he's just giving more time for LBs and Safeties to fill the holes. 

That's what I see, and I could not care less where he went to high school. I just want him to play to his potential, and he is not at this time.

37 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

stop being a Carthage homer...some of these statements are silly. Ingram has gotten to where he is slow in his movements and cuts. he isn't breaking tackles. he is now expecting to be tackled instead of expecting to pop a big play...which is the way I would think you want all your stars (with breakaway speed and power to be). as you pointed out his HS rankings...in that, I'm sure he has had a relative expectation that "it was going to be as easy" here at Texas as it was for him at Carthage --> he may have never verbalized it, but he had some decent games and tons of press & expectations prior to and early in his FR year. people talked about that he might have been our best FR RB ever (just about) and his stats were heading in that direction prior to the dings he had. all talk was that he was bigger, faster and ready to blow it up this year...and now he's looking to have moved backwards from where he was his FR year. he needs to take every opportunity with the ball to run with total wild abandon the way he did in HS. run like his expectation is to take every ball "to the house". don't THINK so much...play freely, otherwise he may want to start checking out Southland conference squads for a transfer to get his world together. 

I agree, our boy needs to step it up in a big way! He has the talent and we need to see it realized.

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

I'm not going to get on here and bash any of our players, but I do agree that it appears that Ingram is running timid. He's gotten plenty of opportunities to run downhill, but he only hits it hard downhill when the hole is wide open. The difference I see with Johnson is he runs downhill regardless of the size of the hole. Ingram needs to find another gear in the backfield. We've seen him use it at times, and he's a heck of a runner in the open field. If he broke the run like Johnson did against OU, I think he would have scored. Saying that, stop dancing around in the backfield. Even if the play called is a counter. Sometimes the back beats the lineman to the hole because the lineman gets caught up in trash. If Ingram sits back and waits, he's just giving more time for LBs and Safeties to fill the holes. 

That's what I see, and I could not care less where he went to high school. I just want him to play to his potential, and he is not at this time.

I said when he was in high school, he is Le’Veon Bell type runner - if a hole is there bust threw it but if no hole is there in the beginning, being patient behind the lineman and hope a crease opens.  And that style has done Ingram well thru high school and last year. This year the hole/crease hasn’t seem to be there very often, or his detractors will say he is not seeing the hole. Other backs have different styles and on the same plays Ingram has had, might break some big plays or lose more yards trying to get out wide.