Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I'm not going to get on here and bash any of our players, but I do agree that it appears that Ingram is running timid. He's gotten plenty of opportunities to run downhill, but he only hits it hard downhill when the hole is wide open. The difference I see with Johnson is he runs downhill regardless of the size of the hole. Ingram needs to find another gear in the backfield. We've seen him use it at times, and he's a heck of a runner in the open field. If he broke the run like Johnson did against OU, I think he would have scored. Saying that, stop dancing around in the backfield. Even if the play called is a counter. Sometimes the back beats the lineman to the hole because the lineman gets caught up in trash. If Ingram sits back and waits, he's just giving more time for LBs and Safeties to fill the holes. 

That's what I see, and I could not care less where he went to high school. I just want him to play to his potential, and he is not at this time.

Better yet, quit running that dang play when the DL is eating it up.  They ran it over and over against West Virginia expecting it to work and it didn’t.  When the ran downhill off drive blocks it worked.  Johnson was the beneficiary most of this times, but regardless of who the back is don’t run it if it isn’t working

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If he got 20-30 he’d actually put up yards and touchdowns. He gets 3 or 4 real rushing plays per game, it’s ridiculous.

I think this is the real problem. Ingram is a volume carry back. He’s the type that gets better the more touches he gets. His best game came when he got 21 carries vs OkSt. That’s fine if your running back is the best player on your team but Sam is the best player and he going to get more opportunities and with RoSchon delivering like he has that’s eaten into his carriers. Texas could probably feature Ingram more and I bet they do vs Kansas, but when in big games where the dline is more difficult to move his patience hinders him. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Better yet, quit running that dang play when the DL is eating it up.  They ran it over and over against West Virginia expecting it to work and it didn’t.  When the ran downhill off drive blocks it worked.  Johnson was the beneficiary most of this times, but regardless of who the back is don’t run it if it isn’t working

It's just a simple zone play with all linemen zone blocking. Their block depends on the alignment and/or blitzing of other players. The opening hole could literally be anywhere from backside C to play side C. Anything ran outside of play side C gap would be because the RB chose to bounce outside or it could simply be a stretch play from the beginning which is aimed outside but could be cut back if there is an opening. There are basically two different running styles with zone blocking. One, pick your aiming point prior to the snap based on the defenses alignment and hit that area hard allowing for one move - either a cutback or bounce. Two, slow play the blocking and let it develop before turning on the jets up field. Johnson runs like example one, and Ingram is running like example two currently. 

Obviously the other play off of the zone play is the zone read from the QB with Ehlinger reading the backside and pulling the ball if the end or OLB chases inside. 

Some form of zone blocking is ran by virtually every college football team. Linemen make calls that lets one another know the blocking scheme. OU hurt us after watching LSU and WV hurt us by moving their defensive front just prior to the snap. This changes the blocking scheme of a zone block for the whole line, and our guys didn't handle it well; especially hard for a player like Ingram that like to slow play the blocking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

It's just a simple zone play with all linemen zone blocking. Their block depends on the alignment and/or blitzing of other players. The opening hole could literally be anywhere from backside C to play side C. Anything ran outside of play side C gap would be because the RB chose to bounce outside or it could simply be a stretch play from the beginning which is aimed outside but could be cut back if there is an opening. There are basically two different running styles with zone blocking. One, pick your aiming point prior to the snap based on the defenses alignment and hit that area hard allowing for one move - either a cutback or bounce. Two, slow play the blocking and let it develop before turning on the jets up field. Johnson runs like example one, and Ingram is running like example two currently. 

Obviously the other play off of the zone play is the zone read from the QB with Ehlinger reading the backside and pulling the ball if the end or OLB chases inside. 

Some form of zone blocking is ran by virtually every college football team. Linemen make calls that lets one another know the blocking scheme. OU hurt us after watching LSU and WV hurt us by moving their defensive front just prior to the snap. This changes the blocking scheme of a zone block for the whole line, and our guys didn't handle it well; especially hard for a player like Ingram that like to slow play the blocking. 

I’m talking about the counter play where the two lineman pull around the end.  We called it a counter, not sure if they still call it that or not.  The DL shot the gap everytime.  If teams are picking up on it quit running it.  It develops entirely too slowly.

15 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

stop being a Carthage homer...some of these statements are silly. Ingram has gotten to where he is slow in his movements and cuts. he isn't breaking tackles. he is now expecting to be tackled instead of expecting to pop a big play...which is the way I would think you want all your stars (with breakaway speed and power to be). as you pointed out his HS rankings...in that, I'm sure he has had a relative expectation that "it was going to be as easy" here at Texas as it was for him at Carthage --> he may have never verbalized it, but he had some decent games and tons of press & expectations prior to and early in his FR year. people talked about that he might have been our best FR RB ever (just about) and his stats were heading in that direction prior to the dings he had. all talk was that he was bigger, faster and ready to blow it up this year...and now he's looking to have moved backwards from where he was his FR year. he needs to take every opportunity with the ball to run with total wild abandon the way he did in HS. run like his expectation is to take every ball "to the house". don't THINK so much...play freely, otherwise he may want to start checking out Southland conference squads for a transfer to get his world together. 

But even still, he should have had more than 2 carries Saturday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Throwbacks this Saturday! Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the '69 National Championship team!

73533044_2349691275128866_8246113281610088448_o.jpg

73038065_2349691175128876_1731085039644442624_o.jpg

That's pretty freaking awesome. Love those helmets!

In 1969, they were celebrating 100 years of College Football. And of course that was the year where Texas played Arkansas in one of the greatest games in history. The helmets during that game had a "100" on them if memory serves. So it's pretty cool that they're celebrating 150. 

• Thanks 1

I'm all about the throwbacks...wish more teams would go to the throwback full time for their helmet logo, but this Horns logo is bad. I think more of the schools don't realize that they had a great logo in the past and have screwed theirs up by trying in vain to "modernize it". Now, to be a crazy contradiction to myself...I'd love to see Texas pull out a different new look sometime...just not this "150" one. I love the reason, hate the logo.

arkansas11.jpg

oklahoma43.jpg

baylor9.jpg

smu8.JPG

texas tech47.jpg

I think the play calling has as much to do with the run game success/lack thereof for certain RBs as anything. Against OU...Ingram and Johnson had 1 carry, while Ehlinger either had a rush or a throw on 9 plays and Duvernay had a rush. No offense is going to be successful when 75% of your offense is running through 1 person, I don't care how good he is. 

The 2nd quarter wasn't much different...13 plays for Ehlinger, and 1 each for Ingram, Johnson and Duvernay.

3rd quarter was marginally better...19 for Ehlinger, 5 for Johnson and 1 for Duverany.

4th quarter...24 for Ehlinger, none for anyone else.

65 attempts (throws and rushes) for Ehlinger

8 for Johnson

3 for Duvernay

2 for Ingram 

83% of the plays go through Ehlinger...thats not a recipe for success against good football teams. 

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, TxFight said:

I think the play calling has as much to do with the run game success/lack thereof for certain RBs as anything. Against OU...Ingram and Johnson had 1 carry, while Ehlinger either had a rush or a throw on 9 plays and Duvernay had a rush. No offense is going to be successful when 75% of your offense is running through 1 person, I don't care how good he is. 

The 2nd quarter wasn't much different...13 plays for Ehlinger, and 1 each for Ingram, Johnson and Duvernay.

3rd quarter was marginally better...19 for Ehlinger, 5 for Johnson and 1 for Duverany.

8 for Johnson

3 for Duvernay

2 for Ingram 

83% of the plays go through Ehlinger...thats not a recipe for success against good football teams. 

Very good points.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, TxFight said:

8 for Johnson

3 for Duvernay

2 for Ingram 

I believe you're right. It's like they started out with bad play-calling, and then went into panic mode... furthering worse play-calling.

I know we've all wondered how long Tim Beck will remain at UT. His play-calling has only worked so far this season because of the teams we've played, for the most part. 

11 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I know we've all wondered how long Tim Beck will remain at UT...  

My understanding is that Herman is the actual O.C., or, at least, he maintains "veto power" over Beck's playcalling...   is that mistaken? 

14 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Then what is the purpose of an OC? That's why people speculate that OU will ever be a championship team. HC should not be calling the plays. 

Right. 

Riley calling the plays is what has been holding Oklahoma back from a NC.

• LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Why not? 

Well, for one, that's the actual OC's job. 2nd, there have only been a handful of coaches win national championships as the play-caller. 

Not that I think Cowherd is any sort of expert, he does make valid points at times. I watched him also talk about this same subject before the season started. None of your national championship powerhouses of today have the HC calling the plays. 

Not sure what factors actually play into why it wouldn't be a good decision, I just know that most experts suggest that it's not been a recipe for success. 

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Well, for one, that's the actual OC's job. 2nd, there have only been a handful of coaches win national championships as the play-caller. 

Not that I think Cowherd is any sort of expert, he does make valid points at times. I watched him also talk about this same subject before the season started. None of your national championship powerhouses of today have the HC calling the plays. 

Not sure what factors actually play into why it wouldn't be a good decision, I just know that most experts suggest that it's not been a recipe for success. 

The whole reason Herman was hired as the HC of Texas was the success of his offensive system. That’s what you paid for. 

It makes zero since for him not to do what he is best at.