Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

Beck will stick around as long as he keeps nailing QB recruiting and winning in Arizona for big fish. 
Herman may not call plays on Saturdays but he has a huge game plan influence and I’m sure veto power on game days. 

The offense has been fine all year, they guessed wrong on their game plan vs OU and we’re slow to change it during the game. There shouldn’t be huge changes made after one bad performance. 

7 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The whole reason Herman was hired as the HC of Texas was the success of his offensive system. That’s what you paid for. 

It makes zero since for him not to do what he is best at. 

Maybe and maybe not. Just because you were a great offensive coordinator, doesn't mean you should be the play-caller in the system your running. Hell, if he understands offenses so well, he should be able to tell what schemes work defensively. Let him just call the defensive plays as well. 

I'm just saying that a great offensive minded HC and a good OC should work in unison as far as play-calling goes. Sometimes the OC can see things the HC doesn't, and vice versa. 

14 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Right. 

Riley calling the plays is what has been holding Oklahoma back from a NC.

If I remember correctly, OU's offense fell on it's face the first half against the #1 team in the country last year. Ultimately cost them the game. 

4 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

If I remember correctly, OU's offense fell on it's face the first half against the #1 team in the country last year. Ultimately cost them the game. 

You mean the game where Alabama was basically playing against air when they were on offense?

Oklahoma’s offense literally had to score on every drive for them to win that game. That game was over when it was 14-0. Oklahoma wasn’t stopping Alabama.

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You mean the game where Alabama was basically playing against air when they were on offense?

Oklahoma’s offense literally had to score on every drive for them to win that game. That game was over when it was 14-0. Oklahoma wasn’t stopping Alabama.

If OU scored on every drive, they would have won 70-45. If we're going to be literal, be literal lol. That's part of it man. They knew going into that game it wasn't going to be a defensive battle. They literally went down 28-0. Blame it on the defense all you wish, but the offense didn't do jack for 3 straight drives. That falls directly on Riley. 

Honestly, I felt like going into that game, that OU had the offense to score every single drive. And they did have potent offense. But for some reason, they fell off early on, and it's definitely not the defenses fault they started slow. 

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

If OU scored on every drive, they would have won 70-45. If we're going to be literal, be literal lol. That's part of it man. They knew going into that game it wasn't going to be a defensive battle. They literally went down 28-0. Blame it on the defense all you wish, but the offense didn't do jack for 3 straight drives. That falls directly on Riley. 

Honestly, I felt like going into that game, that OU had the offense to score every single drive. And they did have potent offense. But for some reason, they fell off early on, and it's definitely not the defenses fault they started slow. 

Bama could have had more than 45 if they wanted it. 

It's fine if y'all think the HC should be the play-caller. I honestly couldn't care less if y'all felt that way. I only said that history speaks for itself, and it's extremely rare for a HC to win a NC as play-caller. Analysts feel it's not the way the team should be ran. I'm glad y'all do. I personally don't think it's the best idea. 

On a different note, maybe I won't have to worry about rooting against Riley anymore after this season 😂👀👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

My understanding is that Herman is the actual O.C., or, at least, he maintains "veto power" over Beck's playcalling...   is that mistaken? 

Beck and Hand are co-ocs 

herman is heavily involved in game planning and playcalling.  He swears it’s a team effort

• Stinks 1

3 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Exactly...I know if I'm the offensive genius that "put it all together" and it's on my neck if we lose as head coach...I'm making all the calls!!!

and what I am saying is, history tells you that you can make all the calls you want, but you're probably not going to win a natty. 

I want to say the number was like 3 or 4 coaches have done it. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Maybe and maybe not. Just because you were a great offensive coordinator, doesn't mean you should be the play-caller in the system your running. Hell, if he understands offenses so well, he should be able to tell what schemes work defensively. Let him just call the defensive plays as well. 

I'm just saying that a great offensive minded HC and a good OC should work in unison as far as play-calling goes. Sometimes the OC can see things the HC doesn't, and vice versa. 

yes, but the DC (as the defense's head coach) should know his VERY BEST personnel for those schemes that are quickly coming...where as the HC/OC type would start getting pretty muddled down handling/knowing everything/everybody backwards & forwards. as the HC, you'll know things very well where you could take over in an emergency and it should run fine, but at that "big a show" you have to be able to trust SOMEBODY else to help you some to keep your jobs and improve the team and keep going towards your team goals.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Bama could have had more than 45 if they wanted it. 

Exactly. They did what they did vs Texas in that national title game when colt went out. Built a big lead then just coasted to end the game. Score got closer but the game was never in doubt.

• LOL! 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 3

39 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Exactly. They did what they did vs Texas in that national title game when colt went out. Built a big lead then just coasted to end the game. Score got closer but the game was never in doubt.

Lol that’s funny.  They did what they did with Greg McElroy all year.  Run the ball and throw just enough.  24-21 and it was never in doubt!!!  Lol

• Stinks 1

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Lol that’s funny.  They did what they did with Greg McElroy all year.  Run the ball and throw just enough.  24-21 and it was never in doubt!!!  Lol

Bama went to 24-6 at halftime. Came out second half in basically prevent mode and Texas drove down field a couple of times and scored to make it 24-21 in the 4th. Bama then put their foot back on the gas and won 37-21. Your burnt orange glasses and some ridiculous memory of that game have made you believe a different story. Go back and watch the game if you don’t believe me. The game was not in doubt. Literally the second it got close again Bama stepped on their throat again. It was not in doubt...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Bama went to 24-6 at halftime. Came out second half in basically prevent mode and Texas drove down field a couple of times and scored to make it 24-21 in the 4th. Bama then put their foot back on the gas and won 37-21. Your burnt orange glasses and some ridiculous memory of that game have made you believe a different story. Go back and watch the game if you don’t believe me. The game was not in doubt. Literally the second it got close again Bama stepped on their throat again. It was not in doubt...

So why didn’t they step on their throat in the third and put it away early?  Greg McElroy could’ve thrown a few TD passes.....  they ran the ball and played defense like they normally did.  Why’d it take 2 scores by Texas before they did it?  Why not when it was a 2 score game?  Greg McElroy was a game manager at best.  He wasn’t going to outscore anybody.  Also one of Bama’s scores came right before half iirc.  It’s not my burnt orange glasses, it’s what plenty have called you out for... your hatred for Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

31 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So why didn’t they step on their throat in the third and put it away early?  Greg McElroy could’ve thrown a few TD passes.....  they ran the ball and played defense like they normally did.  Why’d it take 2 scores by Texas before they did it?  Why not when it was a 2 score game?  Greg McElroy was a game manager at best.  He wasn’t going to outscore anybody.  Also one of Bama’s scores came right before half iirc.  It’s not my burnt orange glasses, it’s what plenty have called you out for... your hatred for Texas. 

Okay. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Lol

their Offense wasn’t built to blow people out.  Their defense and running backs controlled the clock.  

The alabama offense has evolved a bunch in the last 10 years.  

I’m not sure you even understand what you’re arguing here... Once again, you’re proving my point. 

Yes Alabama was a defense and ball control team back then. Which is exactly why I’m saying that game wasn’t in doubt after the half despite the score getting closer. Bama got up 24-6 at the half. They were a ball control team so they weren’t going to just explode for points anyway just because colt went down. So they have a comfortable lead at the half. The came out in the second half with a very safe gameplan. They ran 30 plays after halftime  and only 5 of them were pass plays. They stopped being aggressive and taking chances on defense and played a softer defense and tried to force a backup true freshman to beat them all the way down the field instead of giving up explosive plays. I’m doing so the kid successfully did that. But the second it got close, Nick ramped the pressure back up, forced 3 turnovers in the next 5 offensive snaps for Texas...

25 out of 30 plays rushing+conservative defense let Texas make the score look closer than it should have been. When Bama needed to, it stepped back on the gas forcing 3 turnovers in a 5 play span for Texas and stretched the lead back out to 3 scores... In short. You’re flat out wrong on this. The facts are not on your side. That has nothing to do with my hatred for Texas fans. 

• Stinks 1

13 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not sure you even understand what you’re arguing here... Once again, you’re proving my point. 

Yes Alabama was a defense and ball control team back then. Which is exactly why I’m saying that game wasn’t in doubt after the half despite the score getting closer. Bama got up 24-6 at the half. They were a ball control team so they weren’t going to just explode for points anyway just because colt went down. So they have a comfortable lead at the half. The came out in the second half with a very safe gameplan. They ran 30 plays after halftime  and only 5 of them were pass plays. They stopped being aggressive and taking chances on defense and played a softer defense and tried to force a backup true freshman to beat them all the way down the field instead of giving up explosive plays. I’m doing so the kid successfully did that. But the second it got close, Nick ramped the pressure back up, forced 3 turnovers in the next 5 offensive snaps for Texas...

25 out of 30 plays rushing+conservative defense let Texas make the score look closer than it should have been. When Bama needed to, it stepped back on the gas forcing 3 turnovers in a 5 play span for Texas and stretched the lead back out to 3 scores... In short. You’re flat out wrong on this. The facts are not on your side. That has nothing to do with my hatred for Texas fans. 

If I’m not mistaken, Bama only three 12 passes in that game.   So if they only threw 5 in the second half they must’ve aired it out the first half right?!?!  Wow, 7 attempts in the first half, one on a fake punt.  Their game plan didn’t change.  It was much of the same.  Bama has 296 yards of offense.  Their defense scored a TD to close the first half.  Are you saying their defense just all the sudden decided to shut Texas down?  It was their defense that gave them the ball with a short field to make it 31-21 on a 3 yard, 3 play TD drive.  Texas, without their offensive leader, actually did a fairly good job against the Alabama rushing attack.  As I said before their offense wasn’t going to burn you off the field.  It was turnovers that changed the game, not Nick just deciding to just put Texas out of their awful misery..... 

did you even watch the game???

• Thanks 3
  • Stinks 1

Just now, DB2point0 said:

If I’m not mistaken, Bama only three 12 passes in that game.   So if they only threw 5 in the second half they must’ve aired it out the first half right?!?!  Wow, 7 attempts in the first half, one on a fake punt.  Their game plan didn’t change.  It was much of the same.  Bama has 296 yards of offense.  Their defense scored a TD to close the first half.  Are you saying their defense just all the sudden decided to shut Texas down?  It was their defense that gave them the ball with a short field to make it 31-21 on a 3 yard, 3 play TD drive.  Texas, without their offensive leader, actually did a fairly good job against the Alabama rushing attack.  As I said before their offense wasn’t going to burn you off the field.  It was turnovers that changed the game, not Bama deciding to just put Texas out of their awful misery.....  

I never specifically said they could only change the offensive gameplan. I said their gameplan changed in general. Which defensively it did. Go back and watch the game. They went from aggressive man coverages to more of a cover 3 don’t get beat deep look when they got the lead in the second half. The minute Texas closed the gap a little they went back to a more aggressive defensive approach and got 3 turnovers in 5 plays... I don’t know what about that you’re not getting. 

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I never specifically said they could only change the offensive gameplan. I said their gameplan changed in general. Which defensively it did. Go back and watch the game. They went from aggressive man coverages to more of a cover 3 don’t get beat deep look when they got the lead in the second half. The minute Texas closed the gap a little they went back to a more aggressive defensive approach and got 3 turnovers in 5 plays... I don’t know what about that you’re not getting. 

But they did get beat down the field.  Shipley beat them twice.  

I guess texas couldnt have made halftime changes defensively either.  It was just Bama.

shipley’s first TD of the second half was against man coverage.  His second was against man under coverage.

gilbert’s fumble was caused by the left DE unblocked on a 4 man rush.  There was no blitz or pressure

• Stinks 1