Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

Texas goes to TCU this week for a 2:30 game and then a bye week before a 4 game stretch to end the season. 

The bye weeks have set up well for Texas this season to recover from some injuries. If Texas can out score TCU next week they should get Sterns and Green back and hopefully Foster can sit and heal. Overshown and Cook has good games yesterday but made some youthful mistakes. Ossai is a stud, Vaughns played a lot and played well. 
The secondary is banged up, young, and struggling with man or zone. One reason the struggle in zone is because the LBs do not know how to drop into coverage. The only good thing about the LBs is even though they are first year starters at least they are getting a ton of reps. 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas goes to TCU this week for a 2:30 game and then a bye week before a 4 game stretch to end the season. 

The bye weeks have set up well for Texas this season to recover from some injuries. If Texas can out score TCU next week they should get Sterns and Green back and hopefully Foster can sit and heal. Overshown and Cook has good games yesterday but made some youthful mistakes. Ossai is a stud, Vaughns played a lot and played well. 
The secondary is banged up, young, and struggling with man or zone. One reason the struggle in zone is because the LBs do not know how to drop into coverage. The only good thing about the LBs is even though they are first year starters at least they are getting a ton of reps. 

I may have to figure out a way to attend.

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Would be over a 1000 yards of offense and both teams would score over 40. 

Shane Buchele would eat this defense alive right now.  If they were healthy it wouldn’t be as bad.  This coaching staff would study a month to find a way to keep it close though

4 hours ago, HJR7 said:

I've heard "trap" game when Texas plays more than any other team. Texas defense just isn't good, I think they get by with talent alone and a few lucky breaks. Offense calls head scratching plays at time and relies on Ehlinger way too much. Texas hasn't had a good offensive line since the National Championship.  Minor fixes but I highly doubt any of it gets corrected. 

I completely agree that the defense stinks. Anybody can go back to read my posts to see I'm not a fan of Orlando. I think we rely too much on our athleticism instead of good, basic defensive alignment and fundamentals. I also know we are literally hurting on defense. I guess I'm a little confused with your comment about relying on Ehlinger too much. He's the QB. What is Texas doing with Ehlinger that other teams are not doing with their QBs? I don't think Texas is asking any more of Ehlinger than OU is asking of Hurts or Baylor is asking of Brewer. The difference is there is more pressure on Sam this year because the defense is bad. Very similar to Kyler Murray at OU last year. It's college football; QBs run the football when needed without concern for injury. QBs don't take those chances in the NFL because they play 16 games and simply have to make the playoffs. They also get paid a ton of money to stay healthy and not take chances.

• Like 1

Two things, both have been mention before but someone needs to explain one of them to me. Yes the  Inside LB are horrible at pass coverage in any zone defense, that's number 1. Number 2 is why in heaven do we leave a TE uncovered on the LOS to get  free release to go block anyone they choose. I don't care if a rover or safety is 4 yds back and one yd outside of TE  he can still get to anywhere he wants quickly. By doing this its hard to have force and keep and  hold leverage on any outside run plays because TE can release so easy. I was always taught as a young coach never leave a TE uncovered because of all this. Now I understand that the Texas defensive theory is to force everything to bounce going east and west running it down, but by doing this and leaving TE uncovered our weakest tackling  and most en-experience players, not to mention injured players are the ones having to do the most tackling. I have only been doing this for 20 something years so I am no way saying I no everything so I am willing to listen to what i'm missing.

Sounds crazy, but I was encouraged by how blunt Herman was after the Kansas game in his presser. He was noticeably #### and we usually don't see this from him. He tends to acknowledge the teams faults, but will also give a positive take on it. That didn't happen. Here's an example:

Reporter: "Are y'all going to be able to do anything special this season if you can't figure out how to generate a pass rush, fix the tackling , and try to patch it up on defense?"

Herman: "No. Next question."

Reporter. "What can be fixed?"

Herman. "Everything."

I expect the defense to play better against TCU. The offense doesn't worry me, minus a couple drop balls that need to be fixed. This defense needs to spend a lot of time on the fundamentals. Like, you know, using your arms to tackle a person. 

20 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I didn’t even get to watch the game.  I had to keep up with it on espn and multiple boards.  I will prolly wait and watch Texas Overdrive to get it with Craig Way.  It sounded to me like the defense played a bunch of young guys.  I’m wondering if Herman just wanted to give players a week to heal or if he just thought he’d get the young guys some game time and Kansas was a weak enough opponent to do it.  Idk.  

That's all we have on defense right now, are a bunch of young guys lol 

Here's the thing if we were playing SMU in a bowl game, we'd have a long break where guys would get healthy...and coaches would be spending a long time to game plan every aspect of SMU backwards and forwards. There would not be anything like if they played right now...with Boo licking his chops and his main receivers eating up the backup DB's and safeties. I grew up going to tons of the Pony Express games at Texas Stadium, loving them and am glad to have them doing great BUT Texas would hammer them in a bowl probably by 31 (around 51-20) unless Herman called off the dogs early and SMU made a late run of TD's in the 4th on backups...then it'd look a lot closer than it should like a 51-41 shootout. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

What are the chances of Texas vs SMU in a bowl game this year?  

Texas would blow SMU out of the water.

And I like SMU. Both my grandfathers are SMU alums, but let's be serious here. Texas would have a month to get healthy, and we know how good this Texas team is when they are 100%. I don't think it would even be close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Sounds crazy, but I was encouraged by how blunt Herman was after the Kansas game in his presser. He was noticeably #### and we usually don't see this from him. He tends to acknowledge the teams faults, but will also give a positive take on it. That didn't happen. Here's an example:

Reporter: "Are y'all going to be able to do anything special this season if you can't figure out how to generate a pass rush, fix the tackling , and try to patch it up on defense?"

Herman: "No. Next question."

Reporter. "What can be fixed?"

Herman. "Everything."

I expect the defense to play better against TCU. The offense doesn't worry me, minus a couple drop balls that need to be fixed. This defense needs to spend a lot of time on the fundamentals. Like, you know, using your arms to tackle a person. 

Those dropped balls by Duvernay were outliers... that guy never drops passes.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

That was right after the 2point conversion. Kid played a very good game with his new OC but he celebrated 1:11 too soon. 

Kansas looked outstanding...  I know there was some blown coverages (especially on that last TD), but that QB is a baller... and that RB... holy cow... how fast is he?  He looked like the fastest RB I've seen this season.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Kansas looked outstanding...  I know there was some blown coverages (especially on that last TD), but that QB is a baller... and that RB... holy cow... how fast is he?  He looked like the fastest RB I've seen this season.

It was definitely not the Kansas we've been used to seeing, that's for sure.

10 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Yes, exactly this.

I tried to explain this to members of our fan base, as well as a few UT buddies who were talking smack about OU's unimpressive win. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yes, exactly this.

I tried to explain this to members of our fan base, as well as a few UT buddies who were talking smack about OU's unimpressive win. 

I knew when they hung 48 on Boston College that Kansas was a different team. Even when they were playing OU close for that first half I wasn't all that surprised. If someone thinks they can easily get by a Les Miles Kansas team, they'll get a wake up call. They aren't 'good' in the grand scheme of things, but they got some play makers who can really do damage if you aren't careful. Their running back is electric. Watch, they will upset someone in the next few weeks. I was impressed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Pooka Williams is a good running back.  And yes, he is extremely fast

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Kansas will be ranked sometime in the near future. Miles needs to get his recruits in. Kansas St being somewhat down probably helps . I don't know the primary recruiting area. Texas is a good start.