Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

8 hours ago, bigdawg16 said:

I just hope Bijan Robinson sticks 

I too think Robinson is a very solid commit. I think if Texas can somehow win out and make it to the Big 12 title game again and win a nice bowl game it’ll ultimately be viewed as the same type season (result) as last year.

If Texas completely falls apart then I’d be worried about some of those seemingly solid commits looking elsewhere.

After a sketchy 1st quarter, Texas settled in nicely. Defense finally played closer to what we thought we would see out of that group in the 2nd half. I'm curious to see if the upward trend continues, or was this a product of K-State not being quite the "explosive" offense as some of the previous offenses have been.

Texas defense looked good after they settled down. Looked to have a lot of their physicality back. BJ Foster was laying some wood. Y'all see Coburn completely take that RB's feet out from under him with his forearm? 

Iowa State always plays us so close. This is going to be battle. 

Injury report from Herman’s PC:

RSFR OL Angulaire has a sprained MCL will miss the Iowa St game.

SR WR Johnson tweaked his hamstring on the last drive. It’s not the same as the hamstring injury we had early on in the year and not as bad. He’s day-to-day.

FR RB Whittington is cleared but isn’t as explosive as he was before the surgery and is day-to-day. 

SR DB Chris Brown was cleared to play on Friday and will be available this week but will wear a cast on his broke hand. 

Soph S Overshown and SR LB McCulloch have been cleared to return. 

21 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Aggies and Texas my friend . Texas Bowl or Liberty Bowl . I guess depends on the selection order and if Texas loses another game. Texas may have a better record and may play in a better bowl.

Texas vs. Texas A&M in the Texas Bowl? Are you ####ing kidding me?!!!

REGARDLESS of records or rankings we're talking automatic sellout and CRAZY amounts of eyeballs on screens. Not to mention all the broadcasters and social media maniacs plenty of smack fodder. Hell, we'd even have Matthew McConaughey talking about it on late night tv. 

As a fan of college football in general, I think it's a great opportunity... 

As a cynic, I don't think it will even come close to happening. 

25 minutes ago, AKA said:

REGARDLESS of records or rankings we're talking automatic sellout and CRAZY amounts of eyeballs on screens. Not to mention all the broadcasters and social media maniacs plenty of smack fodder. Hell, we'd even have Matthew McConaughey talking about it on late night tv. 

I wonder if the records matchup . I do not know the pecking order of the bowl selection . I could see Texas paired with either an A&M or a Florida depending on the selection.  Obviously they will not put a 9 win team with a 7 win team. Who knows a couple of upsets might put them on a collision course.

3 hours ago, AKA said:

IF it’s a possibility come bowl selection time, I’ve got $5 that says it won’t happen.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

IF it’s a possibility come bowl selection time, I’ve got $5 that says it won’t happen.  

Agreed. This game will not happen again until the teams agree to a home and home or it’s in the playoff/sugar bowl. This game should be played in Austin the next time it’s played, not San Antonio or Memphis or any other sad bowl destination. 

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Agreed. This game will not happen again until the teams agree to a home and home or it’s in the playoff/sugar bowl. This game should be played in Austin the next time it’s played, not San Antonio or Memphis or any other sad bowl destination. 

Im glad you finally agree that the sec will not send the Aggies to play Texas if they are in the group of sec teams to chose from.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Im glad you finally agree that the sec will not send the Aggies to play Texas if they are in the group of sec teams to chose from.  

Well that’s just speculation. The sec has never straight up said that... 

but it’s not for the reasons you think. It’s not that A&M is scared to play Texas or anything like that. Which is what you’ve implied most of the time this is talked about which is why I always argue it. The reason the sec “allegedly” is not letting this game happen, is because it needs to happen on better terms. This game is too big and too important to happen under a 60k stadium in Memphis or San Antonio. When this game is played again, it needs to have 100k people in a home atmosphere or needs to have title implications in the playoffs. Having this matchup for the liberty bowl does not do it justice. 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

but it’s not for the reasons you think. It’s not that A&M is scared to play Texas or anything like that. Which is what you’ve implied most of the time this is talked about which is why I always argue it. The reason the sec “allegedly” is not letting this game happen, is because it needs to happen on better terms. This game is too big and too important to happen under a 60k stadium in Memphis or San Antonio. When this game is played again, it needs to have 100k people in a home atmosphere or needs to have title implications in the playoffs. Having this matchup for the liberty bowl does not do it justice. 

Of the part I bolded above, I agree 100%, Wetsu. 

3 hours ago, AKA said:

A mid-to-lower tier sellout bowl game (Texas Bowl can hold 72,000+) ain't nothing to sneeze at. 

Correct...but you said it best in the first 4 words..."a mid-to-lower"...this matchup deserves better than that in the eyes of many

I nearly got on here Saturday to say something about Ingram having the breakout game of his career (at least I hope breakout)...I hope that gets him started on a big stretch of great things! Would be nice if Whittington would be that guy in the slot catching 7 balls for 80 - 100 and running 5 to 7 times for 50.  

Are we letting Jake Smith head for the transfer portal? 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

I dot recall saying ATm was scared and asked to not play Texas. I said that slive kept it from happening to protect aTm’s recruiting in state.  And it also helped Arkansas in the sense of exposure in Texas. 

thegame has been offered twice in the last couple of years and turned down by one side both times.  If it happens it’ll be in the sugar bowl.  We may be waiting several years for that to happen

I dot recall saying ATm was scared and asked to not play Texas. I said that slive kept it from happening to protect aTm’s recruiting in state.  And it also helped Arkansas in the sense of exposure in Texas. 

thegame has been offered twice in the last couple of years and turned down by one side both times.  If it happens it’ll be in the sugar bowl.  We may be waiting several years for that to happen

That’s it. It was not to protect A&M recruiting in state. It was not protecting A&M in any way. This is always been about (if it’s really been happening, we just speculate) making sure the game is played on the right platform under the right terms. Like I said, a home and home or playoff implications. Not a game against 7-5 teams in a stadium in a different state. 

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

That’s it. It was not to protect A&M recruiting in state. It was not protecting A&M in any way. This is always been about (if it’s really been happening, we just speculate) making sure the game is played on the right platform under the right terms. Like I said, a home and home or playoff implications. Not a game against 7-5 teams in a stadium in a different state. 

Slive didn’t give two rips about the rivalry.  If he did it would be played every year.  Those types of games are scheduled every year in the sec (yes, as regular season games)and are protected by the sec’s late ooc scheduling.  SCar-Clemson, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, etc.  the sec ensures those happen annually so u can’t say they’re protecting the rivalry from being a dud of a game.  They had intentions and you will never agree, but the sec didn’t want to take a chance and let aTm lose to a bad Texas team.  They chose somebody else and gave them exposure while protecting their Investment in the state of Texas.  And yes aTm is an investment for the sec.  it got them TVs, more recruiting and a team that will likely not mess up their original teams hierarchy.  If slive, or the current commish, cared about the rivalries being subpar  matchups he’d rethink some of those protected oOC games that have been crappy games for a while.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Slive didn’t give two rips about the rivalry.  If he did it would be played every year.  Those types of games are scheduled every year in the sec (yes, as regular season games)and are protected by the sec’s late ooc scheduling.  SCar-Clemson, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, etc.  the sec ensures those happen annually so u can’t say they’re protecting the rivalry from being a dud of a game.  They had intentions and you will never agree, but the sec didn’t want to take a chance and let aTm lose to a bad Texas team.  They chose somebody else and gave them exposure while protecting their Investment in the state of Texas.  And yes aTm is an investment for the sec.  it got them TVs, more recruiting and a team that will likely not mess up their original teams hierarchy.  If slive, or the current commish, cared about the rivalries being subpar  matchups he’d rethink some of those protected oOC games that have been crappy games for a while.  

Agree 100% to what I bolded and bolded and underlined.

A&M is an investment for the conference. They never would’ve gone after Texas, because Texas would’ve been a huge threat to their elites. Didn’t want OU in the SEC West either, same reasoning. 

A&M was the perfect university for the SEC to grab up. Huge, dedicated fan base with thousands and thousands of alumni across the country and they most likely will never have sustained success and will not unseat Alabama or LSU in the west. 

A&M gets the SEC millions of additional viewers, legitimate recruiting pipelines and ties to Texas players without messing up their sandbox. 

A&M gets what they want to. Kind of get a separation from UT, get more money in the SEC tv deal and get to wear the SEC patch on their jerseys and get to chant “SEC, SEC, SEC!”

It actually is a win-win for the Aggies and the conference. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agree 100% to what I bolded and bolded and underlined.

A&M is an investment for the conference. They never would’ve gone after Texas, because Texas would’ve been a huge threat to their elites. Didn’t want OU in the SEC West either, same reasoning. 

A&M was the perfect university for the SEC to grab up. Huge, dedicated fan base with thousands and thousands of alumni across the country and they most likely will never have sustained success and will not unseat Alabama or LSU in the west. 

A&M gets the SEC millions of additional viewers, legitimate recruiting pipelines and ties to Texas players without messing up their sandbox. 

A&M gets what they want to. Kind of get a separation from UT, get more money in the SEC tv deal and get to wear the SEC patch on their jerseys and get to chant “SEC, SEC, SEC!”

It actually is a win-win for the Aggies and the conference. 

A&M can and probably will have sustained success, but the real question is how you define that...  I think of A&M, especially with the hire of Jimbo, to be a 9-10 win team that occasionally competes for the SEC West.  If I am A&M, I am good with that.  The SEC helps with that.  The problem Texas A&M runs into opposed to the other schools in the SEC is that A&M is competing with UT, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Oklahoma for Texas recruits... not to mention all of the other schools that come in and grab 2 and 3 4*s here and there.  It is difficult for a team like A&M or Texas to right the ship with that many hands reaching in your pocket.  Both schools have seen it over the past few decades.  Both schools have also seen success.  Sustainable success within the state of Texas with the large number of recognizable schools gets increasingly difficult for the 2 big dogs at the top each year.  They need to find a way to knock TCU and Baylor down a notch and get back to sharing with OU if either school wants a consistent 10 win season like you see out of LSU, Bama, Ohio St etc.

• Like 1

Lol. Okay.