Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

38 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

A&M can and probably will have sustained success, but the real question is how you define that...  I think of A&M, especially with the hire of Jimbo, to be a 9-10 win team that occasionally competes for the SEC West.  If I am A&M, I am good with that.  The SEC helps with that.  The problem Texas A&M runs into opposed to the other schools in the SEC is that A&M is competing with UT, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Oklahoma for Texas recruits... not to mention all of the other schools that come in and grab 2 and 3 4*s here and there.  It is difficult for a team like A&M or Texas to right the ship with that many hands reaching in your pocket.  Both schools have seen it over the past few decades.  Both schools have also seen success.  Sustainable success within the state of Texas with the large number of recognizable schools gets increasingly difficult for the 2 big dogs at the top each year.  They need to find a way to knock TCU and Baylor down a notch and get back to sharing with OU if either school wants a consistent 10 win season like you see out of LSU, Bama, Ohio St etc.

I agree to a point, we have all seen Texas get all of the top 5 OL recruits in state when Mack had it rolling on the field and on the trail. 

At that time, OU was doing well, but Texas wasn’t competing with Baylor and TCU like they are now. Then, you have added A&M to the SEC, which helps SEC schools recruit the state of Texas. It is going to be harder for UT and A&M to load up, but nowhere near impossible. If Texas can get its defense to play proper defense again UT can easily be dominant again like the mid-to-late 2000s.

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Like I said, you will never agree.  You’d never admit it anyway if you did

Just because we do not agree doesn’t make you right. I just am not going to have arguments with you anymore over things that are hypothetical anyway. Neither of us knows the truth. 

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree to a point, we have all seen Texas get all of the top 5 OL recruits in state when Mack had it rolling on the field and on the trail. 

At that time, OU was doing well, but Texas wasn’t competing with Baylor and TCU like they are now. Then, you have added A&M to the SEC, which helps SEC schools recruit the state of Texas. It is going to be harder for UT and A&M to load up, but nowhere near impossible. If Texas can get its defense to play proper defense again UT can easily be dominant again like the mid-to-late 2000s.

I’ve already disproven this theory once that the sec is hurting Texas more than it was before. Yes more kids are going to sec schools, but Ohio st is doing the most damage in st probably. Also, ou has a smaller footprint now than they use to to balance the sec schools. It’s a false narrative that it’s easier for sec schools to get Texas kids now because of A&M in the sec. It has more to do with the product A&M and Texas have put on the field than sec schools coming in and taking kids.

19 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I nearly got on here Saturday to say something about Ingram having the breakout game of his career (at least I hope breakout)...I hope that gets him started on a big stretch of great things! Would be nice if Whittington would be that guy in the slot catching 7 balls for 80 - 100 and running 5 to 7 times for 50.  

Are we letting Jake Smith head for the transfer portal? 

Man, I hope Smith sticks!

Ingram is going to make you happy.

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’ve already disproven this theory once that the sec is hurting Texas more than it was before. Yes more kids are going to sec schools, but Ohio st is doing the most damage in st probably. Also, ou has a smaller footprint now than they use to to balance the sec schools. It’s a false narrative that it’s easier for sec schools to get Texas kids now because of A&M in the sec. It has more to do with the product A&M and Texas have put on the field than sec schools coming in and taking kids.

I do agree with what I bolded!

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

UT needs to prove it got a win; Texas will walk away happy with a one point victory or 20 point victory.  JUST WIN.

Agree 100% The fact anyone doubting Texas winning is quite sad compared to what used to be. Oklahoma is the only game that should ever be considered a toss up game. 

57 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Agree 100% The fact anyone doubting Texas winning is quite sad compared to what used to be. Oklahoma is the only game that should ever be considered a toss up game. 

I hear you and agree that’s where the program should live - at that level not worried about winning at ISU. We want winning at Iowa State to be a foregone conclusion, but right now with the results this year we just need to win any way possible to hopefully get it back to the level discussed by you and early in this post.

🤘🏻❗❗

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I hear you and agree that’s where the program should live - at that level not worried about winning at ISU. We want winning at Iowa State to be a foregone conclusion, but right now with the results this year we just need to win any way possible to hopefully get it back to the level discussed by you and early in this post.

🤘🏻❗❗

not sure that winning against Iowa State being a foregone conclusion each year now is an indictment of Texas. Matt Campbell has done an incredible job of building the program up there, without any POSITIVE tradition and little in the way of big time financial backing comparatively to a lot of the other big time schools they are seeking to compete against. 

Texas SHOULD win most years based upon talent and $ but it's still a game that's played and there are all the breaks that happen in sports that are exciting and allow for "upsets" week in and week out.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

not sure that winning against Iowa State being a foregone conclusion each year now is an indictment of Texas. Matt Campbell has done an incredible job of building the program up there, without any POSITIVE tradition and little in the way of big time financial backing comparatively to a lot of the other big time schools they are seeking to compete against. 

Texas SHOULD win most years based upon talent and $ but it's still a game that's played and there are all the breaks that happen in sports that are exciting and allow for "upsets" week in and week out.

This, for sure. Matt Campbell is a great coach for that program.