Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

From a poster on Inside Texas, I think this sums up exactly what the immediate future looks like for Herman and Texas. 

Tom has not grown much on the job at Texas. And now, just one year after winning the Sugar Bowl in his second season, his own failure to to do so has brought an existential crisis to his doorstep.

My take? He going to get one chance this off-season to fix his staff. If he chooses poorly, he’s done at Texas. It’s as simple as that.

What makes this dilemma particularly precarious for Tom is that addressing his issues most effectively and comprehensively will require a deep re-evaluation of what he believes about his own abilities and a very painful and public humbling of himself by implicitly acknowledging and explicitly correcting those mistakes.

Based on what we know about Tom, we can surmise that humility and introspection are not his strong suits. Therefore, I expect more incrementalism this off-season vs the bold action needed. But I could be underestimating him or at least the pressure there will be on him not to engage in half-measures.

I believe Tom’s in a very dangerous spot, much more so than Mack in 2003. Mack was extremely savvy politically and curated his own powerful coalition of backers with which he could resist his critics and call bluffs.

Tom by contrast has a Mackovickian level of support among boosters and administrators. He’s aloof, arrogant and unlikable. He had some powerful backers at the time of his hiring and I don’t believe he’s cultivated that support particularly well.

What’s worse, CDC is extremely good at his job and has the booster community fully invested in Texas football for the first time in over a decade. Everyone has just stroked large checks to support football infrastructure and now Tom can’t even produce a Big 12 conference contender in his third year with all his own guys and a top 3 all-time UT quarterback.

This off-season will be the most interesting one in a very long time and my contention is that Tom is one move away from check-mating himself. Alternatively, he could pull a James Franklin, hire the right guys and elevate his program to perpetual top ten status. 

We’ll know either way soon enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Exactly, how can Wetsu not say they have regressed?

Let me rephrase. They have regressed compared to last years team. But I think a lot of people think they overachieved last year. I think many people saw a 7-5 campaign coming this year and many Texas fans didn’t. So I don’t see this as the underachieving/regression type year that many of you do. 

18 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Tom by contrast has a Mackovickian level of support among boosters and administrators. He’s aloof, arrogant and unlikable. 

With personality traits like that I thought he would fit right in with the fan base. 😉

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

You can be arrogant and it be accepted if you win (Saban/Meyer) but if you don’t win you can’t be arrogant and unlikable.

Oh I absolutely agree. I was just giving you guys a hard time. For real though, whether he turns it around for Texas or not, Herman is a tool. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Regressed? Didn’t they lose 4 games last year as well? And they won a few games close as well. I wouldn’t say they have regressed much. I just think the Georgia win had everyone having unrealistic expectations about what this team is. 

Those weren’t unrealistic expectations.  Those were legit and this Texas team should be no worse than 8-2 right now with the talent they have.  They can’t play a complete game to save their lives.  The offensive pkaycalling is pathetic.  The defensive scheme if fair when everybody is healthy, but they can’t adjust to meet the personnel available at the time.  Orlando is plug and play and cross his fingers.  This team should’ve beaten Iowa State And TCU.  With a lucky bounce could’ve beaten LSU. 9-1 was really possible.  You’re Aggy just won’t acknowledge anything decent UT wise.  We’ve all already figured that out.  Yes, this Texas team has in fact regressed.  Just from the LSU game 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Those weren’t unrealistic expectations.  Those were legit and this Texas team should be no worse than 8-2 right now with the talent they have.  They can’t play a complete game to save their lives.  The offensive pkaycalling is pathetic.  The defensive scheme if fair when everybody is healthy, but they can’t adjust to meet the personnel available at the time.  Orlando is plug and play and cross his fingers.  This team should’ve beaten Iowa State And TCU.  With a lucky bounce could’ve beaten LSU. 9-1 was really possible.  You’re Aggy just won’t acknowledge anything decent UT wise.  We’ve all already figured that out.  Yes, this Texas team has in fact regressed.  Just from the LSU game 

😂😂 👍🏻

Every team in the country can say things like that... If this and if that. The fact is you guys are saying nearly exactly what I was saying in July. Their record is nearly exactly what I predicted it would be in July. I’m not hating on Texas, I just have been telling you guys, fairly accurately, the harsh realities of your team since the strong days. Y’all can say the same things I’ve been saying yet I’m a hater? Nah. You’re just a child who can’t handle adult football discussion. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Every team in the country can say things like that... If this and if that. The fact is you guys are saying nearly exactly what I was saying in July. Their record is nearly exactly what I predicted it would be in July. I’m not hating on Texas, I just have been telling you guys, fairly accurately, the harsh realities of your team since the strong days. Y’all can say the same things I’ve been saying yet I’m a hater? Nah. You’re just a child who can’t handle adult football discussion. 

So Kansas is as good of a team as Texas?  TCU?  Texas has way more talent than Iowa State.  These games Herman has been outcoached plain and simple.  One game it’s the offense, one it’s the defense.   All of it falls strictly on him.  TEXAS played LSU as close as Bama.  Then they need a walk off FG to beat Kansas.  You’re starting to sound delusional about all things Texas.  Your hatred for them may be getting the best of you. 

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So Kansas is as good of a team as Texas?  TCU?  Texas has way more talent than Iowa State.  These games Herman has been outcoached plain and simple.  One game it’s the offense, one it’s the defense.   All of it falls strictly on him.  TEXAS played LSU as close as Bama.  Then they need a walk off FG to beat Kansas.  You’re starting to sound delusional about all things Texas.  Your hatred for them may be getting the best of you. 

I’m not arguing anything you just said... You’re low IQ and hatred for me is starting get the best of you. 

I absolutely agree Texas has coaching problems. I absolutely agree they are more talented than everyone on their schedule but ou and LSU. But that doesn’t mean I have to agree they underachieved, because I have been saying they would struggle this season on defense and in the running game all summer. You laugh at me and call me a hater or whatever, but the fact is I’ve been telling you guys the same things you’re saying now all year. And it’s been that way for years. Maybe I’m not as much of a hater, as you are a delusional fan boy. No don’t derail a topic with your lack of comprehension anymore okay pumpkin. 

20 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not arguing anything you just said... You’re low IQ and hatred for me is starting get the best of you. 

I absolutely agree Texas has coaching problems. I absolutely agree they are more talented than everyone on their schedule but ou and LSU. But that doesn’t mean I have to agree they underachieved, because I have been saying they would struggle this season on defense and in the running game all summer. You laugh at me and call me a hater or whatever, but the fact is I’ve been telling you guys the same things you’re saying now all year. And it’s been that way for years. Maybe I’m not as much of a hater, as you are a delusional fan boy. No don’t derail a topic with your lack of comprehension anymore okay pumpkin. 

I do remember you claiming that the defense would struggle this year. I don’t know how you saw the injuries coming but props. The running game is actually better stats wise this year and that’s with Roschon (a QB) as the second leading rusher. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yeah but you couldn't have predicted that our secondary would be so beat up with injuries that we'd be playing backups of backups... guys that weren't even supposed to touch the field this year. It's hurt us as far back as the OU game. No excuse for the offensive side of the ball. Routes are bland, running game is lack luster at best, and everybody in the continental US knows our go to play on short yardage is the QB power from shotgun. LOL!

1 minute ago, Lhornfan said:

Yeah but you couldn't have predicted that our secondary would be so beat up with injuries that we'd be playing backups of backups... guys that weren't even supposed to touch the field this year. It's hurt us as far back as the OU game. No excuse for the offensive side of the ball. Routes are bland, running game is lack luster at best, and everybody in the continental US knows our go to play on short yardage is the QB power from shotgun. LOL!

Even the Hawai’i folk know what we’re doing in short yardage and the citizens of Mexico. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Lol I don’t hate you.  I just (like someone else stated here weeks ago) get tired of reading your posts that obviously are full of hatred.  Everything you post about Texas has such an anti-Texas slant to it and you can’t even see it. It consumes you.   Just like you saying there were u realistic expectations before this season.  You’re prolly the only person in America who didn’t think Texas would play for the conference championship .   I think most college football pundits thought Texas would be pretty good.  Heck even some mentioned playoffs possibly.  That’s not sdc heroes that’s folks that get paid to analyze this stuff for a living.  But you’re wishful thinking proved right and now you’re floating about it.  Lol

as for derailing posts...  you’ve derailed 70-80% of every TEXAS post on this forum for the last 7-8 years so don’t push it off on me.  

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

I do remember you claiming that the defense would struggle this year. I don’t know how you saw the injuries coming but props. The running game is actually better stats wise this year and that’s with Roschon (a QB) as the second leading rusher. 

He knew that other offenses would figure out Orlando’s scheme too.  

I have something to admit.

I bought in to the hype. I let a 10 win season and a Sugar Bowl win (even though it took 14 games to get 10 wins) get to my head and think this team was better than they really are. Truth is, they are just a slightly above average football team. Making progress? Sure, I believe that. But I was being told this team was a possible playoff team this year. I bought in to it. I own up to that. I have to face reality.

There's talent there that is scary good. The young guys will grow the next couple of years and Texas will be fine. The talent is developing, which is something that late Mack Brown/Charlie Strong couldn't do. I give Herman that credit. But the coaching gameplan is not there. The X's and O's are baaaad. It's not that the product on the field is bad, it's that what's going on in the press box and being passed down through the headsets (or vice versa) is so wrong. That has become evident over the past couple of games.

Here's to a 2019 Texas Bowl. We'll get em next year. Hook'em

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I bought in to the hype. I let a 10 win season and a Sugar Bowl win (even though it took 14 games to get 10 wins) get to my head and think this team was better than they really are. Truth is, they are just a slightly above average football team. Making progress? Sure, I believe that. But I was being told this team was a possible playoff team this year. I bought in to it. I own up to that. I have to face reality.

There's talent there that is scary good. The young guys will grow the next couple of years and Texas will be fine. The talent is developing, which is something that late Mack Brown/Charlie Strong couldn't do. I give Herman that credit. But the coaching gameplan is not there. The X's and O's are baaaad. It's not that the product on the field is bad, it's that what's going on in the press box and being passed down through the headsets (or vice versa) is so wrong. That has become evident over the past couple of games.

I see it somewhat different.  This season is strictly on coaching.  Inconsistency, poor gameplan, reluctant to adjust/change schemes, not creative and unimaginative play calling.  That’s all on coaching.  These players are talented.  They do make mistakes.  The DBs are still making the same mistakes they did last year.  The DL still isn’t getting pressure which to me is part of the scheme problem but Roach is horrible.  

Texas played pretty well against LSU offensively.  They stretched the field and played to their strength which was supposedly the passing game.  Since that week the offense has taken a step back each week.  Poor game plans, predictable play calling, HC killing MO by stupid playcall on 4th downs instead of taking 3 pts.  

I said in a post to the ultimate anti-Texas hater that Texas should be no worse than 8-2 right now.  Texas plays to their competition and that is a sign of poor coaching.  Herman puckers in tight moments and the team takes on his mentality, don’t lose.  How about step on somebody’s throat for once?

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

I see it somewhat different.  This season is strictly on coaching.  Inconsistency, poor gameplan, reluctant to adjust/change schemes, not creative and unimaginative play calling.  That’s all on coaching.  These players are talented.  They do make mistakes.  The DBs are still making the same mistakes they did last year.  The DL still isn’t getting pressure which to me is part of the scheme problem but Roach is horrible.  

Texas played pretty well against LSU offensively.  They stretched the field and played to their strength which was supposedly the passing game.  Since that week the offense has taken a step back each week.  Poor game plans, predictable play calling, HC killing MO by stupid playcall on 4th downs instead of taking 3 pts.  

I said in a post to the ultimate anti-Texas hater that Texas should be no worse than 8-2 right now.  Texas plays to their competition and that is a sign of poor coaching.  Herman puckers in tight moments and TE team takes on his mentality, don’t lose.  How about step on somebody’s throat for once?

Herman doesn't do that. Winning is hard, remember? Watching the Iowa State final drive, I literally said out loud, "we are playing in hopes they miss the field goal." If that doesn't sum up how Herman views winning games, I don't know what does. Nobody is threatened by Texas, and until that changes, we will keep seeing this result. 

5 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Herman doesn't do that. Winning is hard, remember? Watching the Iowa State final drive, I literally said out loud, "we are playing in hopes they miss the field goal." If that doesn't sum up how Herman views winning games, I don't know what does. Nobody is threatened by Texas, and until that changes, we will keep seeing this result. 

Really hard.  Really.....really hard.  Remember the Red river game last year.  He went ultra conservative and gave up a 24 pt lead.  It isn’t just in tight games.  He puckers up in every situation.  Foot on the gas and blow them out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Honestly, I think you were right to buy in. We've regressed since the season started. We're talking about a team that was 1 catch away from going into OT against the best team in the nation. 

I'm not sure what has happened since week 2, but it's definitely going the wrong direction. I mean, in all reality, it seems like at one time, our offense was all that was keeping us afloat. Now, the defense has stepped up to an extent, and the offense just keeps falling on it's face. How does this happen?? I mean seriously. We went from having the worst defense in the history of UT, forcing our offense to put up 40-50 points per game to win AGAINST MEDIOCRE AT BEST TEAMS, to really being a rock these last 2 games. 

What's even worse about losing games that you should be winning, is losing them inconsistently. If the defense is the problem, then I'd rather have that problem all year. It's crazy to think how they just keep going back and forth between which side of the ball will perform this week, and which won't. 

I will say this though. The defense being as bad as they were, was a new development. I feel like they're getting some things figured out there. But, the offense and offensive play-calling has been a consistent issue. Maybe it's Herman, maybe it's Beck. I'm not sure. What I do know is, Texas is the least likely team in all of football (that I watch anyways) to make big plays. Our longest rush was RJ's 54 yarder against OU, but the next longest is 34. I honestly believe the play design at Texas is just not designed to create any sort of open receiver, or mass amounts of running room. We never confuse defenses. We never have a series of plays that sets up a possible big play. We run bubble screens, which I've always felt were to set up a deep ball, but we never fake the bubble lol. 

I'm just rambling. There's just so much bad and inconsistency, it's hard to keep up with or stay consistent on what to criticize. It changes from day to day. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Honestly, I think you were right to buy in. We've regressed since the season started. We're talking about a team that was 1 catch away from going into OT against the best team in the nation. 

I'm not sure what has happened since week 2, but it's definitely going the wrong direction. I mean, in all reality, it seems like at one time, our offense was all that was keeping us afloat. Now, the defense has stepped up to an extent, and the offense just keeps falling on it's face. How does this happen?? I mean seriously. We went from having the worst defense in the history of UT, forcing our offense to put up 40-50 points per game to win AGAINST MEDIOCRE AT BEST TEAMS, to really being a rock these last 2 games. 

What's even worse about losing games that you should be winning, is losing them inconsistently. If the defense is the problem, then I'd rather have that problem all year. It's crazy to think how they just keep going back and forth between which side of the ball will perform this week, and which won't. 

I will say this though. The defense being as bad as they were, was a new development. I feel like they're getting some things figured out there. But, the offense and offensive play-calling has been a consistent issue. Maybe it's Herman, maybe it's Beck. I'm not sure. What I do know is, Texas is the least likely team in all of football (that I watch anyways) to make big plays. Our longest rush was RJ's 54 yarder against OU, but the next longest is 34. I honestly believe the play design at Texas is just not designed to create any sort of open receiver, or mass amounts of running room. We never confuse defenses. We never have a series of plays that sets up a possible big play. We run bubble screens, which I've always felt were to set up a deep ball, but we never fake the bubble lol. 

I'm just rambling. There's just so much bad and inconsistency, it's hard to keep up with or stay consistent on what to criticize. It changes from day to day. 

rambling maybe, but all great points that have rambled through my mind constantly. we have great athletes in our backfield and always one of the best O-lines in college football, but for whatever reason we are consistently boring and repetitive in that with our play calling. why are we not spreading in out to open up big running gaps, like OU does...similar to what even bad Tech teams used to do. why is it so obvious (mentally challenged play calling) that the Horns brain trust feels that on any 4th down Sam needs to just catch the snap and tuck it under his arm? if I know it's coming, the DC for the other team dang sure knows. if that's what we're rolling with, then put Duvernay in the Wild Horn and say go get it 20 times a game...or roll our other big time playmaking backs and WR's in and out running that stuff. the offense has totally fallen apart because I feel like since the 4 INT game and maybe slightly earlier "something hasn't been right" with Sam. until they are in some 2 minute type situation where they are flinging it all over and in a crisis, they are sedate and ho hum. mind boggling. 

honestly, I don't even feel like they're using many of their weapons on offense. I don't expect Whittington back now because I think they'll figure on this being a RS year. again, I feel like I beat a dead horse but why is Jake Smith (who was on the field ALL THE TIME prior to and during LSU) not any part of this offense? why was Roshon Johnson not playing more this past week? make changes quicker...roll with the punches UT coaches, lord.