Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

I feel like Herman coaches as if he’s the head coach at Iowa St. He consistently tells the team “if you play your best, you can beat anyone.” or “your best is good enough” which I understand the thought behind those two sayings. The problem is at Texas you have athletes comparable to LSU and that shouldn’t be your mantra when your playing Iowa St. 

I think he lets his opponents dictate his offensive game plans and that’s why the team plays down to their opponents. Instead of just showing up with the game plan that had Texas within a score of LSU and making the opponents try to stop us, Herman would rather try and grind out a win vs a less talented team. 

It’s taken me 3 years to figure this out, mainly because I feel like this is the first year that Texas has superior athletes on offense. Now that I’m here I believe more than ever that CDC should encourage Herman to hire an OC that has play calling and game planning experience and tell Herman he’s the CEO, let the OC do his job. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think he lets his opponents dictate his offensive game plans and that’s why the team plays down to their opponents. Instead of just showing up with the game plan that had Texas within a score of LSU and making the opponents try to stop us, Herman would rather try and grind out a win vs a less talented team. 

Yes, Texas plays TO THEIR OPPONENTS...plays good (up) to great teams...and down against lower teams they "don't respect". --> also explains falling behind early against all these teams that are playing like their hair is on fire against us and then we have to fight back to survive.

21 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

rambling maybe, but all great points that have rambled through my mind constantly. we have great athletes in our backfield and always one of the best O-lines in college football, but for whatever reason we are consistently boring and repetitive in that with our play calling. why are we not spreading in out to open up big running gaps, like OU does...similar to what even bad Tech teams used to do. why is it so obvious (mentally challenged play calling) that the Horns brain trust feels that on any 4th down Sam needs to just catch the snap and tuck it under his arm? if I know it's coming, the DC for the other team dang sure knows. if that's what we're rolling with, then put Duvernay in the Wild Horn and say go get it 20 times a game...or roll our other big time playmaking backs and WR's in and out running that stuff. the offense has totally fallen apart because I feel like since the 4 INT game and maybe slightly earlier "something hasn't been right" with Sam. until they are in some 2 minute type situation where they are flinging it all over and in a crisis, they are sedate and ho hum. mind boggling. 

Actually you haven’t. That is part of the offensive consistency issues. 

They are better than what they were 2 years ago, but they are still average on their best day.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Actually you haven’t. That is part of the offensive consistency issues. 

They are better than what they were 2 years ago, but they are still average on their best day.

This. The poor O-line play in recent years is why we have Sam Ehlinger and not Shane Beuchele.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

This. The poor O-line play in recent years is why we have Sam Ehlinger and not Shane Beuchele.

but "the brain trust" didn't believe in Shane...they had castrated him by the end. he was a shell of what he might have been, but we wouldn't have seen "this Shane" because he had lost nearly all confidence (he couldn't even compete for the starting job...they didn't think he was in the same realm as Sam).

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

but "the brain trust" didn't believe in Shane...they had castrated him by the end. he was a shell of what he might have been, but we wouldn't have seen "this Shane" because he had lost nearly all confidence (he couldn't even compete for the starting job...they didn't think he was in the same realm as Sam).

I don't think that was it. I think the coaches knew at the time only Sam could take the hits and give them the best chance to win. The O-line was horrid, and Shane wasn't able to do what he does best, and that is use him arm to pick you apart, because he had ZERO time to do it. Sam was able to run around, get hit, and give you what you needed. 

37 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't think that was it. I think the coaches knew at the time only Sam could take the hits and give them the best chance to win. The O-line was horrid, and Shane wasn't able to do what he does best, and that is use him arm to pick you apart, because he had ZERO time to do it. Sam was able to run around, get hit, and give you what you needed. 

Correct and just to add to this, Shane’s style doesn’t fit Herman’s offense. At every stop that Herman has been the OC his QB has been 1 or 2 in carries for the season. That includes Texas St, Rice, Iowa St, Ohio St, Houston, and now Texas. 

Shane didn’t have quickness, allusiveness, or body mass to withstand running Herman’s offense. Shane is perfect for Air Raid offenses and that’s why he’s doing so well now. Herman wasn’t changing his coaching philosophy for Shane when he had the perfect guy in Sam to run his offense. 
The issues with the offense now isn’t Sam, it’s the predictability and game planning. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

This might sound a lil petty, but am I the only one that's doesn't like it when Tom Herman brings the team together and does that group hand clapping in warmups before the game, it just seems too lil league to me 

He learned it from Urban Meyer I guess

On 11/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, H3llR4z0r said:

Hard to knock the kid too much for trying to make a play. He probably felt like there was no other choice with the way the offense was playing. Way to show up and own up Malcolm Roach!

Man that's heartbreaking. I hope he doesn't feel like that game is solely his fault. There were tons of things that could've happened that would've won the game for Texas. I hope he keeps his head up and moves past this- he is a great player and his team needs him. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Man that's heartbreaking. I hope he doesn't feel like that game is solely his fault. There were tons of things that could've happened that would've won the game for Texas. I hope he keeps his head up and moves past this- he is a great player and his team needs him. 

You’re 100% correct, Texas must have Roach fully engaged physically and mentally for the defense to perform its best. He is super critical to the defense’s success. 
Roach is a really good player and sets to tone for the defense.

Collin Johnson (hamstring) and BJ Foster (shoulder) both are out for today’s game vs Baylor. 

Id like to see more of freshman Marcus Washington in Collin’s place. I love Foster but he and Overshown are basically the same player and I think Overshown May be better in coverage.