Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

Ehlinger isn't good, offense is trash and Herms needs to be fired. How does Baylor come back from all the stuff they went through, to being a better program than Texas? UT is a joke when it comes to Football. 

• Stinks 2

2 hours ago, Bulldognation1 said:

Kinda like they built off of that 10-4 season from last year?? The guy needs to go bro..

Texas wanted to be back so badly that they overlooked some glaring issues. The sugar bowl win bought him some time . I would throw the $$$ at the top coach next year.

12 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Sam Ehlinger had 19 rush attempts. Ingram and Johnson had 11, combined. 

That's a problem. 

Don’t forget that in college they count sacks as a carry. Take out 5 sacks and he’s down to14, then how many were just scrambles and how many were called runs. 
Another concerning thing to me regarding the offense this year is the drop off of the oline play. I really think the oline gets better once Shackelford graduates but how much of it is scheme and how much is poor development? 

• Like 1

Texas has lost at least four games in each season this decade, arguably bringing about the most average era of Longhorn football ever. And after losing just 19 games in the previous decade, Texas has now lost 24 games to the Big 12's non-blue blood teams since the conference went to its current format in 2012.  This is why changes are needed imo.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Texas has lost at least four games in each season this decade, arguably bringing about the most average era of Longhorn football ever. And after losing just 19 games in the previous decade, Texas has now lost 24 games to the Big 12's non-blue blood teams since the conference went to its current format in 2012.  This is why changes are needed imo.

Agree 100%!

23 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Changes are definitely coming but if people are expecting Herman to be out as the HC, they will be disappointed. He is going to get a chance to hire a new staff with the help of CDC. 

Herman came to Texas and filled out his staff with a lot of comfort hires. The only guy he didn’t get to bring was his top choice at OC, Applewhite. Herman is still considered a young coach and he’s learning on the job. I prefer Texas not to hire a coach that is learning on the job but there are only a handful of proven guys to choose from and most aren’t leaving their current job. 

Herman has a limited coaching tree to pull top assistants from and this is where CDC comes into play. He has made some good hires in his limited time at Texas and he’s a big time networker. He will have a lot of input on the football staff and I think Herman will need it. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Changes are definitely coming but if people are expecting Herman to be out as the HC, they will be disappointed. He is going to get a chance to hire a new staff with the help of CDC. 

Herman came to Texas and filled out his staff with a lot of comfort hires. The only guy he didn’t get to bring was his top choice at OC, Applewhite. Herman is still considered a young coach and he’s learning on the job. I prefer Texas not to hire a coach that is learning on the job but there are only a handful of proven guys to choose from and most aren’t leaving their current job. 

Herman has a limited coaching tree to pull top assistants from and this is where CDC comes into play. He has made some good hires in his limited time at Texas and he’s a big time networker. He will have a lot of input on the football staff and I think Herman will need it. 

Is he going to tell herman to throw the binder away?  Or quit going for it on 4th down with a qb power?  Or make him hold his ST coach accountable for stupid punt returns and kick returns?  Or make his DC try something other than what he’s comfortable with?  All these things are accountable to the HC, regardless of who the assistants are.  Hire more assistants, my guess is you’ll get much of the same.  

my biggest question for Herman would be :  you say you don’t like calling plays from the sideline.  Halfway through the first year you had to take over playcalling due to how bad it had gotten.  In your third year you’re still using the same OC you took those duties from.  Why?

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Is he going to tell herman to throw the binder away?  Or quit going for it on 4th down with a qb power?  Or make him hold his ST coach accountable for stupid punt returns and kick returns?  Or make his DC try something other than what he’s comfortable with?  All these things are accountable to the HC, regardless of who the assistants are.  Hire more assistants, my guess is you’ll get much of the same.  

my biggest question for Herman would be :  you say you don’t like calling plays from the sideline.  Halfway through the first year you had to take over playcalling due to how bad it had gotten.  In your third year you’re still using the same OC you took those duties from.  Why?

No, but he’s going to tell Herman “you make head coaching decisions and let the OC call plays”. I don’t care if Herman goes for it on 4th down but I don’t want him calling the play. I want an OC that’s been up in the booth watching the opposing defense and can scheme the best play for our offense to run. 
He should make Herman choose 1 voice for the special teams coordinator and have Herman in charge of making sure the boarder details are covered. 
He should force hires that aren’t Herman’s buddies. I believe Herman is reluctant to demand more from his coaches because they are all buddies and are comfortable with each other. It sounds ruthless but if you’re the head guy then you have to demand excellence from those under you, if they aren’t getting that done then you have to make a change. 
I think Herman gets this offseason to make the hires he should’ve made the first time. This is his Dabo opportunity and he better hit a homerun like Dabo did with Chad Morris at OC and Venebles at DC or 2020 may be his last season at Texas. 

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas should bring Traylor back as a TE or WR coach. He’s a very good offensive game planner and an A+ recruiter. 

Yes judging him by his Special teams postion just isn't fair. Traylor would be an upgrade from what is happening now.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

3 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Don’t forget that in college they count sacks as a carry. Take out 5 sacks and he’s down to14, then how many were just scrambles and how many were called runs. 
Another concerning thing to me regarding the offense this year is the drop off of the oline play. I really think the oline gets better once Shackelford graduates but how much of it is scheme and how much is poor development? 

Year after year Texas gets who most teams in the state want on the lines. Baylor, Tech and TCU gets one highly rated lineman every now and then. 
Then those other schools use their 2* guys and whip Texas’ 4* and 5* guys in the trenches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Year after year Texas gets who most teams in the state want on the lines. Baylor, Tech and TCU gets one highly rated lineman every now and then. 
Then those other schools use their 2* guys and whip Texas’ 4* and 5* guys in the trenches. 

Those guys are 2 star guys until Texas offers them, then magically there ranking goes up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas should bring Traylor back as a TE or WR coach. He’s a very good offensive game planner and an A+ recruiter. 

Oh no, you can’t do that, he’s a 4A high school guy.

You mention his mind could be a positive on the program people will laugh at you, give you thumbs down and such. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Different programs but similar situation. Sumlin loved 4*’s. Kids would come in as freshman and leave as juniors as basically the same player or worse. No player development plus whiffing on a better player who was lower ranked and your in a hole. 

How bad has the injuries been this year? Wasn’t RB pretty much decimated depth wise? Having to have guys switch positions to fill needs in season is rough. 

14 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

That’s the narrative but take a look at the starting 5 OL for Texas. 

LT Sam Cosmi-3* out of HS, True junior best OL

LG Parker Braun-3* out of HS, grad transfer

C Zach Shackleford-3* out of HS, SR last minute flip by Strong from KST.

RG Junior Angulair-4* out of HS, RSFR this year

RT Derek Kerstetter-3* out of HS, RSSoph, 

All these *rankings are from 247. Strong was able to recruit legit players on defense but offensively he struggled hard. The OL Herman is bringing in have been much higher rated but as you can see only 1 of them is ready to play. 
Pew, pew, narrative shot down. 

33 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

He was also the TE coach under strong.  I don’t really recal te’s doing much when he was here.  Nobody from the strong regime should come back