Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

32 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Yes judging him by his Special teams postion just isn't fair. Traylor would be an upgrade from what is happening now.

Come on guys y’all are grasping at straws here.  Traylor was a decent recruiter for East texas, not average as a TE coach and very subpar Special Teams guy.  Remember we had multiple XP’s blocked in games.  No just no.

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s the narrative but take a look at the starting 5 OL for Texas. 

LT Sam Cosmi-3* out of HS, True junior best OL

LG Parker Braun-3* out of HS, grad transfer

C Zach Shackleford-3* out of HS, SR last minute flip by Strong from KST.

RG Junior Angulair-4* out of HS, RSFR this year

RT Derek Kerstetter-3* out of HS, RSSoph, 

All these *rankings are from 247. Strong was able to recruit legit players on defense but offensively he struggled hard. The OL Herman is bringing in have been much higher rated but as you can see only 1 of them is ready to play. 
Pew, pew, narrative shot down. 

So, you are saying Texas only signed one 4* or 5*  star lineman(offense and defense) from 2015 to 2019 ???

39 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

No, but he’s going to tell Herman “you make head coaching decisions and let the OC call plays”. I don’t care if Herman goes for it on 4th down but I don’t want him calling the play. I want an OC that’s been up in the booth watching the opposing defense and can scheme the best play for our offense to run. 
He should make Herman choose 1 voice for the special teams coordinator and have Herman in charge of making sure the boarder details are covered. 
He should force hires that aren’t Herman’s buddies. I believe Herman is reluctant to demand more from his coaches because they are all buddies and are comfortable with each other. It sounds ruthless but if you’re the head guy then you have to demand excellence from those under you, if they aren’t getting that done then you have to make a change. 
I think Herman gets this offseason to make the hires he should’ve made the first time. This is his Dabo opportunity and he better hit a homerun like Dabo did with Chad Morris at OC and Venebles at DC or 2020 may be his last season at Texas. 

IF that’s the case, why not just start over.  Can him and get a guy you don’t have to babysit and tell what to do.  It’s already said Donors are willing to buy him out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Y'all do know that Matt Turner was the OC and called plays while at Gilmer? Or that was my understanding. IDK, may be wrong

They ran the Andy Griffith offense.  Plays called Aunt Bea, Opie, Barney, etc... pretty simplistic.  Pretty sure Traylor was the offensive mind

30 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

So, you are saying Texas only signed one 4* or 5*  star lineman(offense and defense) from 2015 to 2019 ???

Well the answer for 5* is no, Texas doesn’t have a single 5* recruit on either OL/DL on the roster. Texas does have a few 4* on the OL but they aren’t ready to be starters, that’s why Texas got Braun as a grad transfer. 
Texas OL by class: 
2 4* freshmen 

3 4* sophomore 

0 4* junior (Herman 1st class)

2 4* senior (neither start, Strong recruits)

Disclaimer: I didn’t count any of their redshirts. I just looked at what year they came into the program and their star rankings. 

• LOL! 1

40 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

IF that’s the case, why not just start over.  Can him and get a guy you don’t have to babysit and tell what to do.  It’s already said Donors are willing to buy him out.  

I get what you’re saying I just don’t think Herman getting fired is realistic and until it is, what’s the point in discussing it? 

Just now, JustAFan11 said:

I get what you’re saying I just don’t think Herman getting fired is realistic and until it is, what’s the point in discussing it? 

Is it unrealistic?  Go lose to Tech and get beaten in a lower tier Bowl I bet it’s over then for sure.  
i bet the donors are talking to CDC right now

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Is it unrealistic?  Go lose to Tech and get beaten in a lower tier Bowl I bet it’s over then for sure.  
i bet the donors are talking to CDC right now

It’s unrealistic this week. IF Texas loses the next 2 then sure it becomes realistic but I don’t assume Texas loses the next 2. It’s just not in me to expect losses before the game is played. 

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

It’s unrealistic this week. IF Texas loses the next 2 then sure it becomes realistic but I don’t assume Texas loses the next 2. It’s just not in me to expect losses before the game is played. 

After seeing how everybody else in conference has fared against Texas I see another struggle.  If Texas wins it’ll be a close game they pull out late....again.  

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

My expectations were a tad different. I didn't believe they would be in the playoffs but I would have never guessed being 6-6 either. Has to be frustrating.

I too thought next year would be when they would truly challenge for the CFP. I thought this year would be a one loss regular season or two with a Big 12 championship. 
Now, injuries on defense killed this team, but DC should’ve adjusted and changed his scheme to protect his depleted secondary as much as possible, but he did not.

Then the defense gets healthier and the offense has gone completely stupid and can’t do anything. It’s super frustrating, but the most frustrating thing was the jumping offside to give ISU a first down rather than forcing the long FG attempt.  That’s the most frustrating, because Texas seems ill prepared and because of that is losing to teams with less talent. 

🤘🏻

37 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I am ready for the Ehlinger era to end .... I really don't think that type of offensive scheme is one that can challenge for a NC ... Vince Young is gone and Texas should scrap that offense ....

I hear you, but do appreciate what Ehlinger has brought to Texas. Ehlinger brought back the hope for good to great seasons and a toughness we’ve not had in a while.

UT has obviously been knocked off its pens this season and Ehlinger has not been as dominant this year as he was last, but he is to be commended for his fight and desire and commitment to the University of Texas. Ehlinger would run through a brick wall or knock it down for UT. 
We all know Sam isn’t the greatest passer, but he has so much heart and love for Texas. 
Ehlinger is exactly what UT has needed to get up off the deck the Strong Era put Texas down to. Again, this season we took a step back, but I bet Ehlinger has one more big season in him and leads Texas to fulfill the very best of its potential next year. He’s too much of a gamer not to grab this team by its collar and drag it to some level of respectable success. 

THEN, we’ll see if Hudson Card can take UT back to the promised land after Ehlinger helped get it headed back in the right direction!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

This is one of my favorite weeks in college football, rivalry week.  A majority of of the bigger D1 schools have a rivalry game this week except Texas.  It’s time to stop the madness and bring back the A&M/UT game during Thanksgiving week.  Enough is enough.  UT vs TT just doesn’t bring the excitement!

Texas and A&M have historically been connected to each other. But one school unilaterally decided it was in their best interest to terminate the relationship. A&M’s new rival is LSU and Texas still has its rivalry with OU.  Baylor, TCU, & Tech all view Texas as their rival (even though that view is not reciprocated).  It is nice they get to play Texas during rivalry week. My only suggestion is the game should be played in Austin on a biennial basis.

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

Texas and A&M have historically been connected to each other. But one school unilaterally decided it was in their best interest to terminate the relationship. A&M’s new rival is LSU and Texas still has its rivalry with OU.  Baylor, TCU, & Tech all view Texas as their rival (even though that view is not reciprocated).  It is nice they get to play Texas during rivalry week. My only suggestion is the game should be played in Austin on a biennial basis.

I don’t understand what conference affiliation has to do with the A&M/Texas rivalry game. Yes A&M chose to leave the conference, but when they left the sec told them they could keep the thanksgiving game with Texas. A&M tried to keep the game but was initially told by Texas to kick rocks. Which I don’t understand. For starters, Texas fans have always liked to claim Ou is their “real rival” so why were they so butthurt about the A&M move that they refused to play the game? Secondly, why do people think you have to be in the same conference to have a big rivalry game? This rivalry game would have likely been bigger than ever, and both teams/conferences could have easily worked this out schedule wise to keep it as is. Now that time has passed both parties have balked at the game at least once, but initially its a chicken before the egg thing. Did A&M cause this game to end by switching conferences, or did Texas cause this game to end by refusing to play the game unless A&M remained in the conference? Either way, still ####. 

This game will never happen again until the state legislature makes it happen. Which makes me want to barf thinking about. When it does happen though, it won’t be on Tday like before. Most likely will be week 1 or so. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

I don’t understand what conference affiliation has to do with the A&M/Texas rivalry game. Yes A&M chose to leave the conference, but when they left the sec told them they could keep the thanksgiving game with Texas. A&M tried to keep the game but was initially told by Texas to kick rocks. Which I don’t understand. For starters, Texas fans have always liked to claim Ou is their “real rival” so why were they so butthurt about the A&M move that they refused to play the game? Secondly, why do people think you have to be in the same conference to have a big rivalry game? This rivalry game would have likely been bigger than ever, and both teams/conferences could have easily worked this out schedule wise to keep it as is. Now that time has passed both parties have balked at the game at least once, but initially its a chicken before the egg thing. Did A&M cause this game to end by switching conferences, or did Texas cause this game to end by refusing to play the game unless A&M remained in the conference? Either way, still ####. 

This game will never happen again until the state legislature makes it happen. Which makes me want to barf thinking about. When it does happen though, it won’t be on Tday like before. Most likely will be week 1 or so. 

Big 12 scheduling doesn’t allow late season oOC games.  Texas has offered the game twice in recent history and the Aggies have said their schedule is full, all the while steadily announcing games and series with fcs and lower end G5 teams.  

Texas said to kick rocks right after the Aggies left because of the way the Aggies exited the conference.  They voted on third tier rights, the voted on revenue distribution, they voted on bowl money distribution then cried when the LHN proved to be as valuable as it did.  That was after Texas offered to do a split revenue with aTm on a Lonestar Network that was declined.  

the Aggies left to better themselves in their minds. most  Everybody else in the world sees the way they screwed themselves over.  In 2012 they’d have played in the National Championship game as a big12 team.  Only an Aggie would downplay that and argue against it for the sake of their SEC argument. They will not even acknowledge that as it kills their argument of the sec immediately made them a better program.  They’ll never admit they cost themselves their best shot at a national title for a couple decades.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Big 12 scheduling doesn’t allow late season oOC games.  Texas has offered the game twice in recent history and the Aggies have said their schedule is full, all the while steadily announcing games and series with fcs and lower end G5 teams.  

Texas said to kick rocks right after the Aggies left because of the way the Aggies exited the conference.  They voted on third tier rights, the voted on revenue distribution, they voted on bowl money distribution then cried when the LHN proved to be as valuable as it did.  That was after Texas offered to do a split revenue with aTm on a Lonestar Network that was declined.  

the Aggies left to better themselves in their minds. most  Everybody else in the world sees the way they screwed themselves over.  In 2012 they’d have played in the National Championship game as a big12 team.  Only an Aggie would downplay that and argue against it for the sake of their SEC argument. They will not even acknowledge that as it kills their argument of the sec immediately made them a better program.  They’ll never admit they cost themselves their best shot at a national title for a couple decades.  

You don't seriously believe that do you.

• Stinks 1

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

Exactly

• Stinks 1

So any way...

A name I’ve seen thrown around on some Texas message boards for DC is Utah’s DC Morgan Scalley. Of course I read this morning that Chip Brown is reporting that Orlando is likely to stay. 
I’ve seen the Indiana OC Kalen Deboer mentioned and SMU OC Rhett Lashlee. 

Chip Brown has also reported that Carrington and Huff will be put on the road recruiting by Saturday morning. If that is true then two assistants will lose their job Friday night. 

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

So any way...

A name I’ve seen thrown around on some Texas message boards for DC is Utah’s DC Morgan Scalley. Of course I read this morning that Chip Brown is reporting that Orlando is likely to stay. 
I’ve seen the Indiana OC Kalen Deboer mentioned and SMU OC Rhett Lashlee. 

Chip Brown has also reported that Carrington and Huff will be put on the road recruiting by Saturday morning. If that is true then two assistants will lose their job Friday night. 

Chip brown is still around? I wonder who the new Defensive coordinator will be.  I just can't see Texas not making any personal changes after a subpar year. 

2 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Chip brown is still around? I wonder who the new Defensive coordinator will be. 

Brown is wrong more than he is right. He shouldn’t have a job with a Texas affiliation but he does. 

I think Utah’s Scalley will get serious consideration for DC. I think he grew up in Utah so that may be a very tough pull.