Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

WET, I dont know who the hell Tyler Owens is? But UT and A&M have been recruiting the same exact kids for the last 50 years. 

He was a kid who’s senior film impressed tons of recruits.  His size and speed made people look twice and the fact he ran like a 10.3 in the 100m at the state track meet opened eyes. He was a late bloomer for the Recruitig sites. Some folks think he got the Texas Bump. There’s a conspiracy.  
owens playing a little this year, mainly special teams.  He’s a true freshman and got some time due to injuries.  He didn’t look bad but wasn’t great.  Not sure why wet thinks Texas fans are plucking their eyeballs out about Tyler Owens.  He’ll prolly end up being a pretty decent player for Texas in the right scheme

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

He was a kid who’s senior film impressed tons of recruits.  His size and speed made people look twice and the fact he ran like a 10.3 in the 100m at the state track meet opened eyes. He was a late bloomer for the Recruitig sites. Some folks think he got the Texas Bump. There’s a conspiracy.  
owens playing a little this year, mainly special teams.  He’s a true freshman and got some time due to injuries.  He didn’t look bad but wasn’t great.  Not sure why wet thinks Texas fans are plucking their eyeballs out about Tyler Owens.  He’ll prolly end up being a pretty decent player for Texas in the right scheme

Who’s eyes did he open? Because nobody meaningful offered him. That’s my point. What do you think matters more? The opinion of all the elite coaches and programs in the country, or a couple of recruiting “experts” who’s claim to expertise is publishing articles generated for clicks. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not hating on the kid or Texas for taking him. But the OP asked a specific question. What is Texas doing with its “talent” and why isn’t it developing. I provided this kid as an example and could find several more but you guys think I’m just a hater so I’m not wasting my time. But the point is, none of the power programs who do this for a living offered the kid. Late bloomer or not. And in a day where kids get offers just for visiting that’s meaningful. That could be why Texas isn’t achieving what recruiting rankings say they should be achieving. That’s why I addressed it to the OP. Is it a development issue, or is it possibly kids like this being overrated by services then when they don’t pan out we wonder why. 

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Who’s eyes did he open? Because nobody meaningful offered him. That’s my point. What do you think matters more? The opinion of all the elite coaches and programs in the country, or a couple of recruiting “experts” who’s claim to expertise is publishing articles generated for clicks. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not hating on the kid or Texas for taking him. But the OP asked a specific question. What is Texas doing with its “talent” and why isn’t it developing. I provided this kid as an example and could find several more but you guys think I’m just a hater so I’m not wasting my time. But the point is, none of the power programs who do this for a living offered the kid. Late bloomer or not. And in a day where kids get offers just for visiting that’s meaningful. That could be why Texas isn’t achieving what recruiting rankings say they should be achieving. That’s why I addressed it to the OP. Is it a development issue, or is it possibly kids like this being overrated by services then when they don’t pan out we wonder why. 

It was late in the cycle when he got his ratings adjustment, and he signed with Texas shortly after.  Owens didn’t play much this year so using him as an example of failed development is a poor idea anyway.  You should be using the likes of Malcolm Epps, Denzel Okafor, Cade Brewer, TaQuan Graham, BJ Foster, Kobe Boyce, etc...  those guys have been on campus a couple years and haven’t improved much since they stepped on the 40 acres.  They may look different physically but their efforts aren’t really helping the team.  You’re just using Owens because it makes Texas look bad like the Aggie narrative on recruiting bumps.  

please address the Hayes King Aggie recruiting bump.  We’d like to know what your thoughts on it are.  Most on this board prolly don’t think he’s the #1 qb recruit in the land.  Did he get bumped up for committing to Fisher who is somewhat thought to be a qb guru.  

31 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It was late in the cycle when he got his ratings adjustment, and he signed with Texas shortly after.  Owens didn’t play much this year so using him as an example of failed development is a poor idea anyway.  You should be using the likes of Malcolm Epps, Denzel Okafor, Cade Brewer, TaQuan Graham, BJ Foster, Kobe Boyce, etc...  those guys have been on campus a couple years and haven’t improved much since they stepped on the 40 acres.  They may look different physically but their efforts aren’t really helping the team.  You’re just using Owens because it makes Texas look bad like the Aggie narrative on recruiting bumps.  

please address the Hayes King Aggie recruiting bump.  We’d like to know what your thoughts on it are.  Most on this board prolly don’t think he’s the #1 qb recruit in the land.  Did he get bumped up for committing to Fisher who is somewhat thought to be a qb guru.  

Dominated the Elite 11.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

22 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Dominated the Elite 11.

Good for him.  Shane Buechele led it for the entire contest for Them motto playhim much in the 7 on 7 portion so she’s Patterson could win it.  Buechele ended up maybe 7th.  I don’t put a whole lot of stock in shorts and shirts throwing drills. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Good for him.  Shane Buechele led it for the entire contest for Them motto playhim much in the 7 on 7 portion so she’s Patterson could win it.  Buechele ended up maybe 7th.  I don’t put a whole lot of stock in shorts and shirts throwing drills. 

You might not, but the recruiting services do.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

There are 10 kids committed from Texas right now.  OU recruits the south, not just Texas and Oklahoma 

My post was a little facetious. I'll rephrase for you Maverick- OU gets more recruits from the State of Texas than any other state. Some of their best football players in the history of their program are from Texas. From your Post I gather that this year they have more commitments from the State of Texas than all other States combined. Is that better?

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Haynes King is not even comparable to Tyler Owens. Haynes king got a bump after being the best qb among the nations elite at the elite 11. He then dropped in ranking after a rough start to this season. As he should have.  Using him as your example just shows how little you actually know about this sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Yep, so why the negativity about Tyler Owens getting a big bump after senior film came out

The negativity is that you are failing to see what I’m saying. For starters, he got a huge bump at the start of his senior season as well. Before film ever came out. He then got another huge boost after his senior film came out. But here’s the thing. Recruiting rankings gave him a huge boost,  but the offers didn’t come... why? Why did nearly every major program think this kid wasn’t offer worthy despite his jump in ranking? You’re telling me no other good teams needed a top 120 level player? 

Youre not even the slightest bit lead to believe maybe the ranking doesn’t match the offer list because he’s ranked too high?

what I don’t understand is how can texas fans complain one minute about player development and recruiting rankings and such, but when I very legitimate argument is presented in front of them they instantly go on the defensive about the recruit. I don’t understand. 

If anyone else had given you the same information and argument I just did, y’all would probably be debating it amongst yourselves. But since mean ole wetsu gave you something to think about he must be a Texas hater. 

Like I said I hope y’all never realize this problem. I hope you keep on tripping over your own feet because you’re nose is so high you can’t see the ground. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all to see these threads for the next 30 years. Hell we have already been going strong for about 10 now, so why stop. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Haynes King is not even comparable to Tyler Owens. Haynes king got a bump after being the best qb among the nations elite at the elite 11. He then dropped in ranking after a rough start to this season. As he should have.  Using him as your example just shows how little you actually know about this sort of thing. 

The negativity is that you are failing to see what I’m saying. For starters, he got a huge bump at the start of his senior season as well. Before film ever came out. He then got another huge boost after his senior film came out. But here’s the thing. Recruiting rankings gave him a huge boost,  but the offers didn’t come... why? Why did nearly every major program think this kid wasn’t offer worthy despite his jump in ranking? You’re telling me no other good teams needed a top 120 level player? 

Youre not even the slightest bit lead to believe maybe the ranking doesn’t match the offer list because he’s ranked too high?

what I don’t understand is how can texas fans complain one minute about player development and recruiting rankings and such, but when I very legitimate argument is presented in front of them they instantly go on the defensive about the recruit. I don’t understand. 

Nobody is complaining about the development surrounding Tyler Owens.  He barely played.  I believe he was a redshirt candidate from the start.  Most talking about the lack of development of the players that have been in the program for three years while Herman has been there.  To use a kid from the most recent recruiting class as your answer to why the lack of development is there is stupid.  

21 hours ago, topher805 said:

So far I have seen...

Texas Bowl vs. A&M
Texas Bowl vs. Mississippi State
Liberty Bowl vs. Cincinnati
Liberty Bowl vs. Kentucky
Camping World Bowl vs. Notre Dame
Alamo Bowl vs. Oregon

A&M probably not happening. Oregon is bad matchup. Va Tech in the camping World bowl looks good. The rest or meh. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Nobody is complaining about the development surrounding Tyler Owens.  He barely played.  I believe he was a redshirt candidate from the start.  Most talking about the lack of development of the players that have been in the program for three years while Herman has been there.  To use a kid from the most recent recruiting class as your answer to why the lack of development is there is stupid.  

You are literally illiterate. 

I never once said Tyler Owens has a lack of development. What I said was Tyler Owens got an inflated ranking that raises  expectations for him as well as the team because it raises their class ranking. 

What I’m saying is IF in two years a guy like Tyler Owens isn’t contributing, you guys are going to be like “well here is a player ranked 107 in the country in his class and he wasn’t developed” and I’m saying I disagree with that. Tyler Owens had no meaningful offers other than Texas. IF he’s not contributing in two years it’s because, like every other major college power saw before, he’s just not that good. But an inflated ranking makes Texas fans believe it’s solely a development issue when really it’s also a scouting and ranking issue that are setting up higher expectations. 

Again. I’m not saying Tyler Owens isn’t getting developed. I’m simply saying you can’t just look at Texas and say, “well they have highly ranked classes and aren’t winning so it must be a development issue.” There’s more to it than that. Valhalla is right. Texas kids in general are often all a little overrated, even the ones who commit to A&M and OU and everyone else. But recruiting rankings have made us as fans have higher expectations for our team and for individual players and if said player or team isn’t playing well, we instantly point towards development. Maybe it’s just a miss by the recruiting ranking system and that kid is performing and developing about what he should be but we have unrealistic expectations. This isn’t just exclusively an issue at Texas, but it is more noticeable there simply because they always recruit so well rankings wise but have been extremely poor at putting talent in the nfl the last decade or so. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You are literally illiterate. 

I never once said Tyler Owens has a lack of development. What I said was Tyler Owens got an inflated ranking that raises  expectations for him as well as the team because it raises their class ranking. 

What I’m saying is IF in two years a guy like Tyler Owens isn’t contributing, you guys are going to be like “well here is a player ranked 107 in the country in his class and he wasn’t developed” and I’m saying I disagree with that. Tyler Owens had no meaningful offers other than Texas. IF he’s not contributing in two years it’s because, like every other major college power saw before, he’s just not that good. But an inflated ranking makes Texas fans believe it’s solely a development issue when really it’s also a scouting and ranking issue that are setting up higher expectations. 

Again. I’m not saying Tyler Owens isn’t getting developed. I’m simply saying you can’t just look at Texas and say, “well they have highly ranked classes and aren’t winning so it must be a development issue.” There’s more to it than that. Valhalla is right. Texas kids in general are often all a little overrated, even the ones who commit to A&M and OU and everyone else. But recruiting rankings have made us as fans have higher expectations for our team and for individual players and if said player or team isn’t playing well, we instantly point towards development. Maybe it’s just a miss by the recruiting ranking system and that kid is performing and developing about what he should be but we have unrealistic expectations. This isn’t just exclusively an issue at Texas, but it is more noticeable there simply because they always recruit so well rankings wise but have been extremely poor at putting talent in the nfl the last decade or so. 

But he’s the example you used when the conversation was talking about a lack of development.  Texas was soft under Mack brown.  They stink under CHARLIE.  They’re poorly used/developed under Herman.  One kid in a recruiting class that got a mythical “Texas Bump” has nothing to do with development.  There are players across the country that get recruited over but yet you are talking about Texas because it’s all you think about.  Pitiful.  

• Stinks 2

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

A&M probably not happening. Oregon is bad matchup. Va Tech in the camping World bowl looks good. The rest or meh. 

A&M won't happen like that. I don't think Texas is interested in playing in the Alamo Bowl. Something says recruits probably don't want to go watch them at the Alamodome...

I would rank them (Based on likelihood)...

1. Notre Dame
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Cincinnati
5. Oregon
6. A&M

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

But he’s the example you used when the conversation was talking about a lack of development.  Texas was soft under Mack brown.  They stink under CHARLIE.  They’re poorly used/developed under Herman.  One kid in a recruiting class that got a mythical “Texas Bump” has nothing to do with development.  There are players across the country that get recruited over but yet you are talking about Texas because it’s all you think about.  Pitiful.  

No you were talking development. My argument is the exact opposite of development. If you were capable of reading and comprehending anything you would see that. 

Just now, WETSU said:

No you were talking development. My argument is the exact opposite of development. If you were capable of reading and comprehending anything you would see that. 

The entire conversation has been poor development.  It was you who took the opportunity to hate on a team you love to hate on with a stupid Aggy theory of mythical Texas Bumps in recruiting.  Pitiful

• Stinks 2

3 minutes ago, topher805 said:

A&M won't happen like that. I don't think Texas is interested in playing in the Alamo Bowl. Something says recruits probably don't want to go watch them at the Alamodome...

I would rank them (Based on likelihood)...

1. Notre Dame
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Cincinnati
5. Oregon
6. A&M

Agree Texas needs a good win like last year for momentum for 2020.

• Thumbs Down 1