Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with all of your points. The only thing I will say is there’s two sides to every story. Maybe no changes were made because they practiced said changes and it wasn’t working as well as what they already were using... I’m just saying in January Orlando was thought of as likely a HC soon and probably a top 10 DC in the game. Now he’s fired. I just think it seemed a little knee jerk but I think Herman had to fire someone and the defense caught most of the blame for this season. I think we will see Orlando end up somewhere and do well again someday, just a bad draw this year with all the talent he lost from last year and all the injuries. 

I’ll bet he never gets a top P5 DC job.  You may see him at a place like Missouri, NC state, Utah State, Colorado State, etc.....  there’s enough film on him at Texas to show he can’t adjust to spread teams.

55 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with all of your points. The only thing I will say is there’s two sides to every story. Maybe no changes were made because they practiced said changes and it wasn’t working as well as what they already were using... I’m just saying in January Orlando was thought of as likely a HC soon and probably a top 10 DC in the game. Now he’s fired. I just think it seemed a little knee jerk but I think Herman had to fire someone and the defense caught most of the blame for this season. I think we will see Orlando end up somewhere and do well again someday, just a bad draw this year with all the talent he lost from last year and all the injuries. 

I think he lands on his feet somewhere. Look at Chad Morris. As bad as Arkansas was, he stays in the SEC with a contender. I bet is pay is pretty decent as well. Harsin, Manny Diaz, and many other coaches that didn't pan out at Texas seem to do okay at other places. It's not an easy place to coach. 

Orlando should go to the Big 10.  He thrives against pro-style type offenses.  His best defensive performances over the years were against Georgia, K-State, Iowa State for the most part, against FSU while at UH.  He'd see a lot of those types in the Big 10.

34 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Orlando should go to the Big 10.  He thrives against pro-style type offenses.  His best defensive performances over the years were against Georgia, K-State, Iowa State for the most part, against FSU while at UH.  He'd see a lot of those types in the Big 10.

Yep!!  

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I've come to believe that coaches who won at Houston may be fools gold. It's an easy place to win- favorable schedule, large talent pool to pull from... And also winning in the AAC is way different from winning in the Big XII or SEC. I also think a lot of people looked at the game that Houston won vs OU in early 2016 and thought Herman was the guy to knock off OU and win the Big XII. Not exactly a bad assumption to make. 

All that said, I still think Herman is a decent coach and a good OC. But if Texas is going to be back to winning 10 games every year, I don't know that he'll be the one to do it.

I've brought up this same argument before about Houston. Agreed on Herman as well. Still trying to figure out what the heck he was doing head butting the defensive guys during pre-game a couple of weeks ago...He is in way over his head for a program like Texas. Sold out his Coordinators,  he will be gone after next Season. 

25 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I've brought up this same argument before about Houston. Agreed on Herman as well. Still trying to figure out what the heck he was doing head butting the defensive guys during pre-game a couple of weeks ago...He is in way over his head for a program like Texas. Sold out his Coordinators,  he will be gone after next Season. 

What are the expectations? Obviously 7-5 isn't gonna to cut it. I figured at Texas the basement is 9-3 with no blowouts. Still Texas beat Ou under strong . 10 win season and Sugar bowl win made the fan base want more. Texas was desperate to get back they unfourntley regressed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

Art Briles?  He had a little success post-Houston 

I felt like the offense regressed and play calling was terrible this year so I was all for beck being let go that's if he was actually calling plays.  The defense was young to begin with but injuries killed any chance Orlando had to build a decent unit the depth at linebacker and the secondary was exposed big time.  So making him the scapegoat is unfair in my opinion.  However what's done is done I need to see these splash hires hes trying to make like now otherwise what was the point.  This whole process is taking wayyyyy too long for me.  Especially when I see how quickly other schools get their guy.

7 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

I felt like the offense regressed and play calling was terrible this year so I was all for beck being let go that's if he was actually calling plays.  The defense was young to begin with but injuries killed any chance Orlando had to build a decent unit the depth at linebacker and the secondary was exposed big time.  So making him the scapegoat is unfair in my opinion.  However what's done is done I need to see these splash hires hes trying to make like now otherwise what was the point.  This whole process is taking wayyyyy too long for me.  Especially when I see how quickly other schools get their guy.

It’s ok, the top choice for OC is Graham Harrell. He is also interviewing for a few HC positions. Fresno St, Memphis, and Colorado St were all HC jobs that he interviewed or had interest in. He’d be crazy to accept an OC job if he still has a shot at HC somewhere. 2 of those jobs have been filled, not sure on Fresno, so I would guess a decision from Harrell could be coming soon. 

On the DC hire Texas Is being patient, I’m not sure if that patience will pay off or not. I haven’t been expecting this hire to take place before the bowl game anyway. I feel comfortable with CDC running this show. 

would have been awesome to see the Horns go wild as hell and bring in Art Briles as the OC...as the pressure amps up Herman...Texas would have the next HC sitting there. 

Harrell would be great as an OC too (exciting)...and he'd also be gaining experience and status for a Herman fail and to move into the HC position. On this combo, Harrell w/ Herman...I just feel it would be odd that Herman has this "tight" offense (5 or so core plays run over & over, Atari football) and brings in a run-n-shoot guru???

as Texas is in a holding pattern with DC, are there any guys from the playoff teams that could be a realistic fit? 

• Stinks 1

17 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

would have been awesome to see the Horns go wild as hell and bring in Art Briles as the OC...as the pressure amps up Herman...Texas would have the next HC sitting there. 

Harrell would be great as an OC too (exciting)...and he'd also be gaining experience and status for a Herman fail and to move into the HC position. On this combo, Harrell w/ Herman...I just feel it would be odd that Herman has this "tight" offense (5 or so core plays run over & over, Atari football) and brings in a run-n-shoot guru???

as Texas is in a holding pattern with DC, are there any guys from the playoff teams that could be a realistic fit? 

Harrell isn’t a run-n-shoot guy. He’s from the Mike Leach Air Raid tree. My hope, if Harrell is the OC, is that he and Herman can blend their philosophies somewhat and use the running game more than Leach. 

4 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Is it me or is it taking a while to hire an OC?

I kinda explained this on the last page but Texas #1 choice is Graham Harrell and he has a few schools that interviewed for their HC positions. If he doesn’t get one of those jobs then he will decide between staying at USC or going to Texas. 

Something else to watch also I’d Oregon just lost their OC so maybe they offer Harrell as well. 

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Recruiting 

I assume you’re referring to how many Texas take in this class? 

Texas was always going to take 22-23 this cycle. There are very few guys graduating or moving on and Texas wants to take the full 25 in the next cycle. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

What about the tackle and Ingram brother from Carthage?  I would never turn down a quality linemen. 

Texas hasn’t really pursued Crawford the tackle because grades, according to pay sites. 
Dixon, Ingrams brother, is expected to commit to Texas but it hasn’t happened yet. 

• Thanks 1