Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

48 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Longview DL Goram-Welch committed to Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Sawyer-Goram-Welch-46056596/

I think this kid can put on some weight and  slide inside along the dline. If he’s got the work ethic he can be a good rotation player after a couple years in the program maybe a breakout player as a senior. I’m excited to watch him. 

9 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I never thought he was all that great, just big. 

Then again, size can't be coached while technique and other things can! Was he 4 star?

Kind of reminds me of the Lynch kid from Baylor coming out of high school. Now if he works as hard as Lynch, he can be a beast with his size. 

53 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Rumors: Herman is holding up the hire of Harrell as OC. Apparently he’s having second thoughts on giving up total control of the offense

Wow...  suddenly a lot of the harsh criticism of Beck seems somewhat unfair. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Rumors: Herman is holding up the hire of Harrell as OC. Apparently he’s having second thoughts on giving up total control of the offense. 

The outlook for 2020 is getting darker. So I guess the next question is who will be on the HC short list for 2021? 

Joe Brady will be the top of everyone’s list next year if he can have another great season at LSU

5 hours ago, AKA said:

Wow...  suddenly a lot of the harsh criticism of Beck seems somewhat unfair. 

He lost playcalling duties in year 1 due to awful output on that side of the ball.  If there’s any fault for him being a bad coach on that side of the ball it’s on Herman for demoting him and keep him for two more years

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I have a feeling it may get as embarrassing as Strong’s search/begging for an OC.  

Everyone knows Herman is on extremely thin ice. It’s hard once you’re in that spot to  lure comfortable guys away from their job. Which is why I said all along keeping Herman and using Orlando as the fall guy was the wrong move imo. Should have fired Herman, thrown the kitchen sink at Urban Meyer and called it a day. All you’ve done is prolong this a year.

you want to know the worst case scenario in all of this... Dallas lures away Lincoln Riley this year And ou hires urban Meyer. That would be a nightmare scenario for Texas in 2020 and beyond. Imagine this time next year when you’re having to replace Herman while OU is in year two closing a top 3 class with urban Meyer. Ouch. 

That being said, I don’t think you’ll get that unlucky. I think Urban takes the cowboys job and this is a mute point. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I have a feeling it may get as embarrassing as Strong’s search/begging for an OC.  

It is essentially a 1 yr gig.  Do bad and you are fired along with Herman.  Do great and you are looking like a future HC and earn everyone an extension....  but there aren’t many great OC’s that will take that situation.  He needs to find a guy that can quickly implement something completely and perfectly suited to what is on the roster.  I would steal a mid-major OC that has experience with average throwing QBs that run a spread.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Everyone knows Herman is on extremely thin ice. It’s hard once you’re in that spot to  lure comfortable guys away from their job. Which is why I said all along keeping Herman and using Orlando as the fall guy was the wrong move imo. Should have fired Herman, thrown the kitchen sink at Urban Meyer and called it a day. All you’ve done is prolong this a year.

you want to know the worst case scenario in all of this... Dallas lures away Lincoln Riley this year And ou hires urban Meyer. That would be a nightmare scenario for Texas in 2020 and beyond. Imagine this time next year when you’re having to replace Herman while OU is in year two closing a top 3 class with urban Meyer. Ouch. 

That being said, I don’t think you’ll get that unlucky. I think Urban takes the cowboys job and this is a mute point. 

I wanted Herman fired.  Meyer would’ve been my top choice.  He may have even helped Herman pack lol

i don’t see urban as an NFL guy much less the Cowboys coach 

Could be something, could be nothing. But here goes 

USC ranked 110th in rushing this year, and NT ranked 89th last year. Herman likes to run the ball. 

Also Harrell comes from the Air raid system that puts a lot of stress on your own teams D if you don't sustain drives (granted so did Texas' offense at times).

Just my thoughts, maybe they look at SMU OC Lashlee. He came from Auburn and their Offense seems to mesh more with what Herman wants to do.