Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

13 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Gotta say, the more time passes without an announcement, the less optimistic I am about Humphrey returning. 

The deadline is the 14th. I figure we’ll hear something over the next few days. His mom has been vocal on twitter about him finishing his degree but she says it’ll be his decision. 

I think he’s leaving but my wife will go into a depression because LJH is her favorite player. 

My WAY, WAY too early thoughts on the 2019 Schedule 

vs. Louisiana Tech: WIN LT is a good mid major football team. But Texas has no business losing this game if they want to be serious national title contenders. Zero. Zip. Nada. Can't lose this one. 

vs. LSU: WIN One thing that has been a given under Herman since he has been at UT. They are going to be ready to go in games that are viewed as "big games". At home, DKR will be rocking, will have national attention. Just has all the writings of a big win for UT. Will not be surprised if LSU wins, but I'm going to wear homer glasses atleast right now on this one.

vs. Rice @ NRG: WIN if this were a mid-major with some offensive fire-power, this would be a trap game. But Rice is far from that. UT should cruise, even if they get off to a bumpy start.

vs. Oklahoma State: WIN UT going to have to be careful with this one, because just when you think a Mike Gundy team is going to be an easy W, they find a way to bite you in a big way. Think Texas brings enough back offensively, and OK State loses enough that UT should be OK in this one and run the 1st 4 game stretch undefeated.

@ West Virginia: WIN New coach, new QB, a bunch of unknowns. WVU will be looking to make a statement win under the new regime, but again, UT has zero business losing this one. ESPECIALLY coming off a bye week.

vs. Oklahoma @ Dallas: WIN As previously mentioned. You know you are going to get an A game out of Texas in this one. Unless Riley works his magic again at QB, no way OU can be as good on O as they have been. 

vs. Kansas: WIN Les Miles has a long ways to go to get Kansas competitive. This one feels like it could be more challenging than necessary. Don't think UT folds in this one though. 

@ TCU: Win Another one that could get murky in a hurry if UT doesn't show up ready to play. Gary Patterson and his bunch won't take kindly to being written off in the conference.

Vs. Kansas State: WIN K-State made a great hire IMO, but I think it will take some time for them to get to competing with the upper echelon of the Big 12 w/o Snyder at the helm.

@ Iowa State: LOSS Iowa State is good. Their coach is good. It's liable to be a night game. Just has all the makings of an upset. Don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables, and if they haven't already lost one, this one just has it written all over it. If they do happen to come in, and then walk out of this one undefeated, they'll have truly turned the corner and will be "back". 

@ Baylor: WIN I like Rhule. Think he has been great for Baylor. Waco will be wild for this one. Texas SHOULD respond in a big way.

vs. Texas Tech: WIN I think getting rid of Kliff makes TT very average. Atleast w/ Kliff at the helm you knew TT was going to score a bunch of points, or be capable of scoring when they needed it most. Now though, TT is going to be trying to play "typical" Big 12 football, w/o a true offensive mastermind behind it. Just think they are going to struggle. The appeal of Lubbock for what seems like the last decade was Points, Points, Points. Not having that Mike Leach connection is going to hurt IMO>

Obviously at lot can change between now and August. As I said, I don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables. I could see 11-1. I could see 9-3. Really anything under 10 will be a disappointment. Feel free to go ahead and pick it apart now.

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

The deadline is the 14th. I figure we’ll hear something over the next few days. His mom has been vocal on twitter about him finishing his degree but she says it’ll be his decision. 

I think he’s leaving but my wife will go into a depression because LJH is her favorite player. 

I believe it's the 15th. Either way, I would think if he already knew he was staying, there is no reason at this point to delay announcing. If he's leaning towards the draft, then the delay makes sense as I'd imagine he's needing the time to make sure he's making the right decision. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TxFight said:

vs. Louisiana Tech: WIN LT is a good mid major football team. But Texas has no business losing this game if they want to be serious national title contenders. Zero. Zip. Nada. Can't lose this one. 

vs. LSU: WIN One thing that has been a given under Herman since he has been at UT. They are going to be ready to go in games that are viewed as "big games". At home, DKR will be rocking, will have national attention. Just has all the writings of a big win for UT. Will not be surprised if LSU wins, but I'm going to wear homer glasses atleast right now on this one.

vs. Rice @ NRG: WIN if this were a mid-major with some offensive fire-power, this would be a trap game. But Rice is far from that. UT should cruise, even if they get off to a bumpy start.

vs. Oklahoma State: WIN UT going to have to be careful with this one, because just when you think a Mike Gundy team is going to be an easy W, they find a way to bite you in a big way. Think Texas brings enough back offensively, and OK State loses enough that UT should be OK in this one and run the 1st 4 game stretch undefeated.

@ West Virginia: WIN New coach, new QB, a bunch of unknowns. WVU will be looking to make a statement win under the new regime, but again, UT has zero business losing this one. ESPECIALLY coming off a bye week.

vs. Oklahoma @ Dallas: WIN As previously mentioned. You know you are going to get an A game out of Texas in this one. Unless Riley works his magic again at QB, no way OU can be as good on O as they have been. 

vs. Kansas: WIN Les Miles has a long ways to go to get Kansas competitive. This one feels like it could be more challenging than necessary. Don't think UT folds in this one though. 

@ TCU: Win Another one that could get murky in a hurry if UT doesn't show up ready to play. Gary Patterson and his bunch won't take kindly to being written off in the conference.

Vs. Kansas State: WIN K-State made a great hire IMO, but I think it will take some time for them to get to competing with the upper echelon of the Big 12 w/o Snyder at the helm.

@ Iowa State: LOSS Iowa State is good. Their coach is good. It's liable to be a night game. Just has all the makings of an upset. Don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables, and if they haven't already lost one, this one just has it written all over it. If they do happen to come in, and then walk out of this one undefeated, they'll have truly turned the corner and will be "back". 

@ Baylor: WIN I like Rhule. Think he has been great for Baylor. Waco will be wild for this one. Texas SHOULD respond in a big way.

vs. Texas Tech: WIN I think getting rid of Kliff makes TT very average. Atleast w/ Kliff at the helm you knew TT was going to score a bunch of points, or be capable of scoring when they needed it most. Now though, TT is going to be trying to play "typical" Big 12 football, w/o a true offensive mastermind behind it. Just think they are going to struggle. The appeal of Lubbock for what seems like the last decade was Points, Points, Points. Not having that Mike Leach connection is going to hurt IMO>

Obviously at lot can change between now and August. As I said, I don't think UT is quite ready to run the tables. I could see 11-1. I could see 9-3. Really anything under 10 will be a disappointment. Feel free to go ahead and pick it apart now.

Just an FYI on Iowa State, their start RB, David Montgomery, declared for the draft today. 

31 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Just an FYI on Iowa State, their start RB, David Montgomery, declared for the draft today. 

Has that stud wr declared yet?  Orlando has owned Iowa State more than anybody else in the Big 12 the last 2 years, let's hope it continues.  That does have the makings of a trap game late in the year.  Losing Montgonery and if they lose the wr changes the entire outlook of that offense though.

6 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think @ Baylor is the trap game after ISU. Brewer is a good QB for them and Rhule will have his team ready. 

Baylor has Oklahoma at home the week before Texas.

I've also seen Rhule mentioned with the NY Jets job.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Has that stud wr declared yet?  Orlando has owned Iowa State more than anybody else in the Big 12 the last 2 years, let's hope it continues.  That does have the makings of a trap game late in the year.  Losing Montgonery and if they lose the wr changes the entire outlook of that offense though.

No, at least not as of yet. 

Of the teams with most interest on Texas' schedule next season, here are the key losses we know for sure...

LSU:

CB - Greedy Williams

DT - Ed Alexander 

RB - Nick Brossette (Sr)

LB - Devin White

There are a few others who could still declare early as well, with the most likely being star LB Devin White (projected Top 15 pick)

Oklahoma State:

Replacing Offensive Coordinator (Yurcich just joined Ohio State's staff)

QB - Taylor Cornelius (Sr)

RB - Justice Hill

LB - Justin Phillips (Sr)

DE - Jordan Brailford

DE - Jarrell Owens (Sr) ...(Brailford (9) and Owens (6) led the team in sacks)

West Virginia

Head Coach

QB - Will Grier (Sr)

WR - David Sills (Sr)

WR - Gary Jennings (Sr)....(Sills and Jennings led team in catches, yards, and TD's)

TE - Trevin Wesco (Sr) ...(4th in receptions, yards, and TD's)

LB - David Long

Oklahoma:

Defensive Coordinator 

QB - Kyler Murray

RB - Rodney Anderson 

WR - Marquise Brown 

LB - Curtis Bolton

OL - Bobby Evans

OL - Cody Ford

TCU:

QB - Shawn Robinson (transfer)

WR - KaVonte Turpin (Sr)

7 Defensive starters - most of which are DL and LB

Kansas State:

Head Coach

QB - Alex Delton (transfer)

RB - Alex Barnes

2nd and 3rd RB's

Iowa State:

RB - David Montgomery

LB - Willie Harvey (Sr)

WR - Hakeem Butler

Texas Tech:

Head Coach

WR - Antoine Wesley

WR - JaDeion High

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I believe it's the 15th. Either way, I would think if he already knew he was staying, there is no reason at this point to delay announcing. If he's leaning towards the draft, then the delay makes sense as I'd imagine he's needing the time to make sure he's making the right decision. 

Have you not watched recruiting the last few years?  It’s all about a big moment, re rioting momentum for the team you’re picking, etc....    wasn’t he the National player of the year?  That’s a big boost in perception for his favorite team since childhood.  

The only reason  I felt it “might” have been Texas WAS the fact he drug it out.  I thought it was possible he didn’t want any pressure from family and friends leading up to enrollment.  But it got really quiet on the Texas recruiting sites and they were all speculating

14 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Of the teams with most interest on Texas' schedule next season, here are the key losses we know for sure...

LSU:

CB - Greedy Williams

DT - Ed Alexander 

RB - Nick Brossette (Sr)

There are a few others who could still declare early as well, with the most likely being star LB Devin White (projected Top 15 pick)

Oklahoma State:

Replacing Offensive Coordinator (Yurcich just joined Ohio State's staff)

QB - Taylor Cornelius (Sr)

RB - Justice Hill

LB - Justin Phillips (Sr)

DE - Jordan Brailford

DE - Jarrell Owens (Sr) ...(Brailford (9) and Owens (6) led the team in sacks)

West Virginia

Head Coach

QB - Will Grier (Sr)

WR - David Sills (Sr)

WR - Gary Jennings (Sr)....(Sills and Jennings led team in catches, yards, and TD's)

TE - Trevin Wesco (Sr) ...(4th in receptions, yards, and TD's)

Oklahoma:

Defensive Coordinator 

QB - Kyler Murray

RB - Rodney Anderson 

WR - Marquise Brown 

LB - Curtis Bolton

TCU:

QB - Shawn Robinson (transfer)

WR - KaVonte Turpin (Sr)

7 Defensive starters - most of which are DL and LB

Kansas State:

Head Coach

QB - Alex Delton (transfer)

RB - Alex Barnes

2nd and 3rd RB's

Iowa State:

RB - David Montgomery

LB - Willie Harvey (Sr)

Texas Tech:

Head Coach

WR - Antoine Wesley

WR - JaDeion High

I hope White comes back.  He reminds me of a former LSU MLB and former NFL player Trev Faulk.

14 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Oklahoma:
Defensive Coordinator 

Technically, this counts as a key loss to Big XII offenses.    :D 

• LOL! 2

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Have you not watched recruiting the last few years?  It’s all about a big moment, re rioting momentum for the team you’re picking, etc....    wasn’t he the National player of the year?  That’s a big boost in perception for his favorite team since childhood.  

The only reason  I felt it “might” have been Texas WAS the fact he drug it out.  I thought it was possible he didn’t want any pressure from family and friends leading up to enrollment.  But it got really quiet on the Texas recruiting sites and they were all speculating

I'm not sure who you're referring to? I'm talking about Lil' Jordan Humphrey. 

2 hours ago, TxFight said:

Wow. It has been almost a decade since 10 wins or bust. In the past, we've been hopeful for 10 wins, heck, even hopeful for just 8-9. It's honestly a great feeling predicting 10 wins and not feeling like a homer about it or that we are in over our heads. I think the Big 12 is Texas' to lose in 2019, but we all know there will be some surprises along the way. Needless to say, I'm excited for 2019.

• Texas at Maryland — W. Maryland lost A LOT of players, and I just don't see Texas losing against after the loss the previous year.
  • Tulsa at Texas — W. I know nothing of Tulsa, but shouldn't be much of a contest.
  • USC at Texas — W. This will be an exciting game, DKR will be rocking (a lot like the Notre Dame environment in 2016). SC lost some quality players, and I also give home field advantage to the Horns. 
  • TCU at Texas — W. Not sure how TCU will be next season, but for now I'm being positive and I think it's about time Texas beats TCU (finally)
  • Texas at Kansas State — L. This will be a trap game with the OU game the next weekend. I'm putting a loss on this one because my burnt orange signals tell me Texas can't go 5-0. Not yet they can't.
  • Texas vs. Oklahoma (Red River Showdown) — W. This game is never certain, but just because I'll be there and obviously want a win, I say W. Only time will tell with Kyler Murray though..
  • Baylor at Texas — W. Baylor still got a long way to go.
  • Texas at Oklahoma State — W. Mason Rudolph is gone, but OSU is still pretty solid. However, Texas is coming off of a bye that week and will be well rested.
  • West Virginia at Texas — L. Just because I think Texas slips up and Will Grier plays the whole game.
  • Texas at Texas Tech — W. Texas won't lose to Tech 2 years in a row. 2017 was a fluke. And Tech will probably be 5-4 at this point. Maybe 4-5.
  • Iowa State at Texas — W. I know nothing about Iowa State in 2018, but I think Texas carries momentum in the last 2 weeks and fighting for a New Year's Six bowl.
  • Texas at Kansas — W. I mean, c'mon easy win....... But wait.....:argh:

Final Record: 10-2

This was my prediction this time last year of the 2018 season. Switch Maryland and K state, add an L to Okie state and this wasn't too far off! Hahah