Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

33 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I just don't get it. You'd think that someone would be in his ear telling him to redshirt, learn, grow, develop. That's the only way you make it to the next level. 

Kids think they need all 4 years to play and get exposure. So they get upset when they aren't starting as freshman. Get bigger, stronger, faster, a better student of the game, and then come your junior year, you use all of that and perform. It makes you better as a player and a person, but some kids just can't accept that. They want success now, instead of putting in the work to get better.

11 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Kids think they need all 4 years to play and get exposure. So they get upset when they aren't starting as freshman. Get bigger, stronger, faster, a better student of the game, and then come your junior year, you use all of that and perform. It makes you better as a player and a person, but some kids just can't accept that. They want success now, instead of putting in the work to get better.

4? How about the verbal commits on Twitter that start with, "I'll be spending my next 3 years at..."

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

The team Mod over at Inside Texas has said Shepherd is a couple years away from seeing game action. He’s good in pass pro but average in run blocking. Hookfin and Tyler Johnson were both in front of him. 

Good in pass protection AND average in run blocking.  Sounds like most of the starting 5. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I don't understand this either. This is where changes need to be made to the portal process. Very few programs start a large number of true freshman. If he thinks he's going anywhere else and playing right now, he's sadly mistaken. Wait your time, learn the offense, and WORK your way into the lineup. 

After his recruitment this doesn’t shock me at all.  He has a ton of potential but isn’t ready to start.  

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Kids these days would rather get their -whooped and look silly as a Freshman and actually hurt their team instead of waiting a year or 2 to get bigger, stronger, smarter and actually help their team.

I think some get so used to hearing about how good they are and can help the team win a championship they start believing they should be doing it right away.  During his Recruitment it seemed there were “others” in his ear.  Maybe that is the case now too

40 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think some get so used to hearing about how good they are and can help the team win a championship they start believing they should be doing it right away.  During his Recruitment it seemed there were “others” in his ear.  Maybe that is the case now too

Basically what you said.  It's hard to separate having "special talent" as a freshman in HS and letter/play for 4 years then go to college and not be on the same level that you were in High school.  If playing were that important to him, he should have researched depleted OLs with those same type of great facilities where he could step in as a freshman and learn the hard way.  Right now I am thinking a school like Texas Tech which never have great OL...  he could go in there as a freshman and make at least one of the 5 spots better on day 1.  Schools that have been going at it a while, won't have that issue.  Look at LSU, Alabama, Clemson etc... you are lucky to start there as a RS-So (year 3).   Kids need to be realistic about what they want before they commit. 

Shepherd news is somewhat surprising, but I guess then again not really if you followed his recruitment.  Kid seemed to have shown up on campus in great shape after losing a bunch of bad weight and seemed bought into the culture.  He was a kid that always needed a RS year and another before he saw the field, but I guess he didn't see it that way.  Probably had a good chance at starting in the 2021 season.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see the staff grab another grad transfer OL this offseason.  The OL room isn't quiet where it needs to be from a talent/depth perspective, but it's getting close.  I think Karic is an outstanding eval by the staff (think Sam Cosmi) and Majors will be a contributor in his 3rd year.  Garth depends on coming back from an injury and I'm not so sure on Parr yet.

I think Tyler Johnson challenges for a starting spot next year and Hookfin in another year.

18 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Your response is pretty dumb...  Nothing you said does anything to invalidate my original comment.  (1) Miles coaches his off THAT GAME.  (2) The Running back is a hell of a player and looks to be one of the fastest I've seen this year.  (3) The QB was a gamer and a difference maker THIS GAME.  

And your comment about Les Miles is about as dumb as defending Mack Brown recruiting *s instead of talent...  Les Miles was averaging close to 10 wins a year at LSU.  He won a National Championship and played for another.  He got run out of town because of his stubbornness to change his offensive mentality.  Yes, he wasted some offensive talent at LSU.  It wasn't looking good at Kansas, and he FIRED his OC.  Suddenly, the offense is open and they rack up yards and points...  Despite the record, Les Miles has and is currently improving everything that is Kansas Jayhawk football...  even the 2 wins is an improvement over most of the previous regime...

People have challenged what I've said several times and looked dumb and never recovered from it.  Take poor @WETSU for example :lol: 

Alright Mav Grad you should  stick to LSU Football. You state that my response is pretty dumb.

Mav Grad- "Kansas Looks Outstanding" Now that is pretty dumb. They are the worst team in our Conference. They are a bad team and may not win 1 Conference game this year.

Mav Grad- :"That QB is a Baller" , "2 Players that made the Game competitive The QB & RB for KANSAS, had nothing to do with anything else". Now this is pretty dumb. The QB & RB for Kansas can almost beat Texas single handed. 2 average College players for the worst program in the Conference. Dont you think this has more to do with the Texas Defense and the horrendous performance?Their is nothing special about either of these 2 players. IF the Defense plays like this, every team in the Conference can beat them. 

Mav Grad- "And if you think that Les Miles isn't coaching his off in Kansas just shows your own ignorance, not ours". Now this may be my favorite from you. Les is obviously your Hero. I'm guessing you had his Poster on your wall with the 2007 National Champs. I have very fond memories of Mack Brown as well. Les was such a hot Coaching commodity that all of the top Programs were after him last year. He sifted through all of the offers and decided to hang his hat at the perennial Football power in Lawrence, Kansas. BTW, Les has 1 win this year against an FBS opponent. Give me a break.

This is Herman's 3rd year at the helm. I don't know of any Longhorn fans that thought the Horns would need last second field goals to beat cellar dwellers like Kansas (and have them hang 48 points). How many more top recruiting Classes does UT need? I have heard every excuse in the world from my 40+ years of watching football. But pumping up Kansas and Les Miles to somehow justify the Texas performance is ridiculous. As far as your Hero Les Miles, in 2019 give me Herman, Riley, Gundy, Patterson, Rhule, and Campbell as Coaches I would rather have lead my Program. 

• Confused 1
  • Stinks 2

24 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Alright Mav Grad you should  stick to LSU Football. You state that my response is pretty dumb.

Mav Grad- "Kansas Looks Outstanding" Now that is pretty dumb. They are the worst team in our Conference. They are a bad team and may not win 1 Conference game this year.

Mav Grad- :"That QB is a Baller" , "2 Players that made the Game competitive The QB & RB for KANSAS, had nothing to do with anything else". Now this is pretty dumb. The QB & RB for Kansas can almost beat Texas single handed. 2 average College players for the worst program in the Conference. Dont you think this has more to do with the Texas Defense and the horrendous performance?Their is nothing special about either of these 2 players. IF the Defense plays like this, every team in the Conference can beat them. 

Mav Grad- "And if you think that Les Miles isn't coaching his off in Kansas just shows your own ignorance, not ours". Now this may be my favorite from you. Les is obviously your Hero. I'm guessing you had his Poster on your wall with the 2007 National Champs. I have very fond memories of Mack Brown as well. Les was such a hot Coaching commodity that all of the top Programs were after him last year. He sifted through all of the offers and decided to hang his hat at the perennial Football power in Lawrence, Kansas. BTW, Les has 1 win this year against an FBS opponent. Give me a break.

This is Herman's 3rd year at the helm. I don't know of any Longhorn fans that thought the Horns would need last second field goals to beat cellar dwellers like Kansas (and have them hang 48 points). How many more top recruiting Classes does UT need? I have heard every excuse in the world from my 40+ years of watching football. But pumping up Kansas and Les Miles to somehow justify the Texas performance is ridiculous. As far as your Hero Les Miles, in 2019 give me Herman, Riley, Gundy, Patterson, Rhule, and Campbell as Coaches I would rather have lead my Program. 

You still don't get it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

You are about to get your Democrat butt kicked again.

What you claim: Mav Grad said "Kansas looks good"   What was really said "Kansas looked good."  

What you claim:  That QB is a baller.  But what was really said, there were some blown coverages, but that QB was a baller.  

What you claim is that Les Miles is a bad coach...  But he has a national championship and coached for another one...  Yeah... he is awful.

You and your ignorance or lack of comprehension skills are making you look foolish.  Everything that was said about Kansas was in reference to 1 game vs Texas.  Not the season as a whole.  Then you wanted to try and take on the world and play the Kansas is horrible card.  Then we agree but we also say "they have improved from years past!"  NO YOU ARE WRONG!  They are the same pitiful Kansas that couldn't hold Baylor's jock strap in the 80s!

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

You still don't get it.

he never will.  he is lost.  when he resorts to insults over comments about a team after a surprising and decent performance by a bottom feeder, it shows just how lost he is.  

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

You are about to get your Democrat butt kicked again.

What you claim: Mav Grad said "Kansas looks good"   What was really said "Kansas looked good."  

What you claim:  That QB is a baller.  But what was really said, there were some blown coverages, but that QB was a baller.  

What you claim is that Les Miles is a bad coach...  But he has a national championship and coached for another one...  Yeah... he is awful.

You and your ignorance or lack of comprehension skills are making you look foolish.  Everything that was said about Kansas was in reference to 1 game vs Texas.  Not the season as a whole.  Then you wanted to try and take on the world and play the Kansas is horrible card.  Then we agree but we also say "they have improved from years past!"  NO YOU ARE WRONG!  They are the same pitiful Kansas that couldn't hold Baylor's jock strap in the 80s!

Lol. I've never voted Democrat sir! I did vote for Ross Perot as an Independent one time. The rest of the time have been Republican. 

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/22/texas-releases-2020-football-schedule/

Texas vs South Florida

Texas @ Lsu

Texas vs UTEP

Bye

@ Kansas St

Vs Oklahoma

Vs West Virginia

@ Texas Tech

Vs Baylor 

@ Kansas

Vs Texas tech 

Vs Iowa St

@ Oklahoma St

First game is against Charlie Strong assuming he is still at USF. Week 2 will be difficult but upsetting Lsu and or Oklahoma sets up for a nice run .

6 minutes ago, TxFight said:

@ LSU early and @ Oklahoma State late are going to be 2 tough games to get wins. Otherwise, I think the schedule sets up pretty well. 

I was going to say the same about OKst. That’s going to be a cold night game, that could determine one of the Big12 championship game participants. 

15 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I was going to say the same about OKst. That’s going to be a cold night game, that could determine one of the Big12 championship game participants. 

Yes indeed. But if Texas is going to take the next step those games need to be won. There is nothing wrong with 10-2 or 10-3 every year...it is extremely hard to win and win consistently. BUT Texas should not settle for being OK with being 2nd place every year. 

• Like 1

This season isn’t completely lost either.  Sure it’s been extremely frustrating, but the staff still can make adjustments and quit making stupid decisions.  It has yet to be seen.  I’d like to hope that Herman can realize that everything he’s done at other places isn’t necessarily going to produce the same results at Texas.  Coaches have to adapt, that’s what makes good coaches great.  He needs to hold his coordinators accountable for bad game plans (Herman is heavily involved in the offense) and bad in game decisions.