Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Brown is wrong more than he is right. He shouldn’t have a job with a Texas affiliation but he does. 

I think Utah’s Scalley will get serious consideration for DC. I think he grew up in Utah so that may be a very tough pull. 

I definitely agree. Texas may have to throw the $$ at the best available. It is obvious the defense has struggled. The offense was underutilized. I thought honestly Ingram would be the focal point with that back from cuero. I realize injuries have  killed any momentum. Sam is this team and a productive qb but that oline needs some work. When healthy the offense is as good as anyone. The defense needs some whole sell changes.

27 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Warehime and Mehringer need to be gone when the clock hits zero Friday afternoon.

Those are my bets too. The guys at Inside Texas have said they know of 4 assistants that will be gone and they expect more will be added to that after evaluations by Herman and CDC. Obviously they don’t give names until something is official. 
They also believe that CDC is going to run this show once the Tech game is over. 

Hypothetically: Texas Beats Tech I think Herman, Hand, Drayton, Naivar, and Giles are the only holdovers. Obviously that would change if a new OC wanted to bring his OL guy. 

Hypothetically: Texas loses to Tech then I think no one is safe. 

Im not sure which I prefer. It would be great if Herman could be the guy and get it done, mainly because I don’t want to restart the whole process again but he has to grow up fast as a HC and so far he hasn’t proven he will do that. 

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Big 12 scheduling doesn’t allow late season oOC games.  Texas has offered the game twice in recent history and the Aggies have said their schedule is full, all the while steadily announcing games and series with fcs and lower end G5 teams.  

Texas said to kick rocks right after the Aggies left because of the way the Aggies exited the conference.  They voted on third tier rights, the voted on revenue distribution, they voted on bowl money distribution then cried when the LHN proved to be as valuable as it did.  That was after Texas offered to do a split revenue with aTm on a Lonestar Network that was declined.  

the Aggies left to better themselves in their minds. most  Everybody else in the world sees the way they screwed themselves over.  In 2012 they’d have played in the National Championship game as a big12 team.  Only an Aggie would downplay that and argue against it for the sake of their SEC argument. They will not even acknowledge that as it kills their argument of the sec immediately made them a better program.  They’ll never admit they cost themselves their best shot at a national title for a couple decades.  

When A&M left, the conference WAS allowing nonconference games in November. Not to mention, Texas owns that conference. If they want that game, the conference rules would allow it. The only reason that rule is even in place now is likely because Texas wants to ensure A&M never gets that spot again if they do play. Regardless; the game could have been played. There’s no point in arguing who’s fault or this or that because BOTH sides have extremely valid arguments on who’s fault it is that the game is not being played. 

Just an outside perspective:

I don’t think Orlando is a problem. The team was young and injured earlier in the year and the defense has been better as the season has went along. 

I never understood why Beck was hired as the OC. He was basically fired from Ohio State and then immediately welcomed by Herman at Texas. Herman has really two choices I think about how to handle the offense. 

1) Take full control and do what made you successful enough to become the HC at Texas. 

2) Hire somebody and let them run it. 

I don’t think he live in the middle ground of that any longer.

13 minutes ago, WETSU said:

When A&M left, the conference WAS allowing nonconference games in November. Not to mention, Texas owns that conference. If they want that game, the conference rules would allow it. The only reason that rule is even in place now is likely because Texas wants to ensure A&M never gets that spot again if they do play. Regardless; the game could have been played. There’s no point in arguing who’s fault or this or that because BOTH sides have extremely valid arguments on who’s fault it is that the game is not being played. 

When aTm left it left the conference short of teams and they had to go to the round robin ####.  The league changed the rules to what was in their best interest I assume.  Stems back to how aTm left the conference with their middle finger in the air.

you make an assumption on why the rule is “likely” in place so “big brother” can dictate the conference huh.   Lol. 

you say IF Texas wants the game.....  like I said it’s been offered twice lately.  It’s not Texas backing up from it.  

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

When aTm left it left the conference short of teams and they had to go to the round robin ####.  The league changed the rules to what was in their best interest I assume.  Stems back to how aTm left the conference with their middle finger in the air.

you make an assumption on why the rule is “likely” in place so “big brother” can dictate the conference huh.   Lol. 

you say IF Texas wants the game.....  like I said it’s been offered twice lately.  It’s not Texas backing up from it.  

The Big 12 was already at 10 teams when A&M and Missouri left for the SEC.

8 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I don’t think Orlando is a problem. The team was young and injured earlier in the year and the defense has been better as the season has went along. 

I never understood why Beck was hired as the OC. He was basically fired from Ohio State and then immediately welcomed by Herman at Texas. Herman has really two choices I think about how to handle the offense. 

1) Take full control and do what made you successful enough to become the HC at Texas. 

Beck is a great guy and recruiter.  He’s not a good OC. Herman took over playcalling late year one, yet stuck with Beck due to alignment and continuity.  Alignment and continuity (aka comfort) has put Herman on one of the hottest seats in America.  

10 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The first thing they need to do is forget the zone read offense ... VY isn't coming back!!!!! ....

14 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The first thing they need to do is forget the zone read offense ... VY isn't coming back!!!!! ....

Reading off Inside Zone is fine. Every team in the country does. 

It’s not ground breaking anymore though. Teams will be better prepared for it now than they were in 2005.

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Reading off Inside Zone is fine. Every team in the country does. 

It’s not ground breaking anymore though. Teams will be better prepared for it now than they were in 2005.

I don't think that's the offense that will take you to the NC .... especially with Ehlinger .... sooner or later it gets shut down by the better teams ....

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't think that's the offense that will take you to the NC .... especially with Ehlinger .... sooner or later it gets shut down by the better teams ....

Maybe, but I think Texas needs to just find what they can be successful doing and focus on that. 

Sam has been limited in throwing the ball downfield in the past so they should have catered the offense to his strengths. When Sam leaves Texas they will have to adjust to the skill set of the next guy.

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Maybe, but I think Texas needs to just find what they can be successful doing and focus on that. 

Sam has been limited in throwing the ball downfield in the past so they should have catered the offense to his strengths. When Sam leaves Texas they will have to adjust to the skill set of the next guy.

I see a similar year again next season .... yea, he has some great stats but they are far too reliable on his running .... Ehlinger is too much of a move the sticks, move the sticks runner .... not the game breaker running or passing that's going to be a game changer .... 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Are you a mouth breather? A&M never ended this game. They just left the conference. Texas ended the game. A&M offered to keep it and Texas said no. Then a few years later Texas, “on a PR stunt because their team sucked” stated they offered the game again but A&M refused. Which after Texas refused to keep the game can you blame them? Either way, stop being a arrogant moron and ignoring facts to support your own claim. Yes Texas offered the game twice. Yes A&M offered to keep it initially and Texas said no. Yes the schedule could have been worked around initially don’t be an idiot. Just admit this is a two sided thing. 

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Are you a mouth breather? A&M never ended this game. They just left the conference. Texas ended the game. A&M offered to keep it and Texas said no. Then a few years later Texas, “on a PR stunt because their team sucked” stated they offered the game again but A&M refused. Which after Texas refused to keep the game can you blame them? Either way, stop being a arrogant moron and ignoring facts to support your own claim. Yes Texas offered the game twice. Yes A&M offered to keep it initially and Texas said no. Yes the schedule could have been worked around initially don’t be an idiot. Just admit this is a two sided thing. 

It was a year-in-year-out game because they were in the same conference. So if one team is no longer in the conference then it’s no longer a scheduled game. ATM did in fact end the regularity of the game. Maybe they offered to continue to play Texas but the only reason for ATM to have to offer that is because they in fact ended the way things were. 

ATM ended the game by leaving the conference. ATM offered to continue the game but at that point it would’ve had to have been an OOC game and Texas refused. Texas has offered at least twice recently and ATM has said no. 

Does that work for everyone? Let’s move on.

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Fact...Big12 doesn’t play late season oOC games.

fact.... Texas A&M wanted game right after leaving.  Texas said no as their exit strategy just about helped break the entire conference apart.

fact....Texas has since offered twice in recent history, aTm decline saying their schedule was full and have since scheduled multiple fcs and #### G5 teams.

fact....Texas has been open about playing the game since new AD and coach has been here.  In fact they’ve said the teams owed it to the state to play.  AD has even stated he’d try to get it back for thanksgiving if it were possible.  The Aggies new AD said no thanks.  Then they scheduled more cupcakes.

fact, aTm walked away from it, TEXAS told them to kick rocks, then offered to play.  ATM doesn’t want to play.  Nothing more to say.  You can call me mouth breather or anything else.  Pretty much everybody knows why the game isn’t happening at this time

6 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

It was a year-in-year-out game because they were in the same conference. So if one team is no longer in the conference then it’s no longer a scheduled game. ATM did in fact end the regularity of the game. Maybe they offered to continue to play Texas but the only reason for ATM to have to offer that is because they in fact ended the way things were. 

ATM ended the game by leaving the conference. ATM offered to continue the game but at that point it would’ve had to have been an OOC game and Texas refused. Texas has offered at least twice recently and ATM has said no. 

If you don’t agree with Wetsu you’re a mouth breather

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Agree 100%. What do think about the Tech game? I believe the horns beat them but they haven't been consistent good all year. 

25 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Agree 100%. What do think about the Tech game? I believe the horns beat them but they haven't been consistent good all year. 

Texas will win ugly. The Texas offense has looked really good vs teams that haven’t seen this offense before. Every other team has shut the offense down. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas will win ugly. The Texas offense has looked really good vs teams that haven’t seen this offense before. Every other team has shut the offense down. 

It's not an offense that's going to beat a lot of top teams ....