Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

32 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Utah DE Van Fillingher decommited from Texas tonight. 

Recruiting will take bit of a hit I assume but the coaching changes needed to be made even if it means losing a few recruits. 

One of Fillinger's HS coaches played for Orlando at Utah State and was a big reason in him committing.  It ####, but the minute Orlando was fired Fillinger was gone.  

Hope the new DC runs a 4 man front.  It'll be more attractive to recruits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

What about my post was inconsistent? 

I don’t understand why you Houston guys are still so butthurt. 

Inconsistent program, not your statement. Not butthurt, just pointing out this guy’s faithfulness to his staff. 
Im sure people will be lining up to a job for a coach that will throw you under the bus. 

6 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

One of Fillinger's HS coaches played for Orlando at Utah State and was a big reason in him committing.  It ####, but the minute Orlando was fired Fillinger was gone.  

Hope the new DC runs a 4 man front.  It'll be more attractive to recruits.

“It’ll be more attractive to recruits” lmao

1 minute ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Inconsistent program, not your statement. Not butthurt, just pointing out this guy’s faithfulness to his staff. 

He’s been faithful for 3 years. Those guys got Herman to where he is but now it’s evident, IMO,  that that’s as far as they could take him at this job. Herman brought his boys with him to the big show they made more money than ever before. Many of them hadn’t even had P5 experience before Texas and they gave it a shot for 3 years. 

Herman has said this is his dream job and if he wants to succeed then he has to upgrade around him. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, eagle34 said:

WET, I find it very strange for people like you that are obsessed with 16-17 year old high school kids. If you are saying I don't know anything about Texas football because I dont share your obsession, I'm guilty as charged. I'm a College football fan. My favorite team is Texas. I don't follow high school kids. I do keep up with the Recruiting rankings on signing day, but also take those with a grain of salt. I cant buy your logic that the same kid that picks UT over A&M will be rated higher because he picked Texas. I'm sure you also believe in the grassy knoll...

Just because you don't get it... There are a lot of us who would say, "How can you be a football fan in Texas and not be into high school ball?" You must not be very familiar with the rest of the forum. LOL!

And it wasn't just the grassy knoll... 😎

• LOL! 1

On 11/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, WETSU said:

You are literally illiterate. 

I never once said Tyler Owens has a lack of development. What I said was Tyler Owens got an inflated ranking that raises  expectations for him as well as the team because it raises their class ranking. 

What I’m saying is IF in two years a guy like Tyler Owens isn’t contributing, you guys are going to be like “well here is a player ranked 107 in the country in his class and he wasn’t developed” and I’m saying I disagree with that. Tyler Owens had no meaningful offers other than Texas. IF he’s not contributing in two years it’s because, like every other major college power saw before, he’s just not that good. But an inflated ranking makes Texas fans believe it’s solely a development issue when really it’s also a scouting and ranking issue that are setting up higher expectations. 

Again. I’m not saying Tyler Owens isn’t getting developed. I’m simply saying you can’t just look at Texas and say, “well they have highly ranked classes and aren’t winning so it must be a development issue.” There’s more to it than that. Valhalla is right. Texas kids in general are often all a little overrated, even the ones who commit to A&M and OU and everyone else. But recruiting rankings have made us as fans have higher expectations for our team and for individual players and if said player or team isn’t playing well, we instantly point towards development. Maybe it’s just a miss by the recruiting ranking system and that kid is performing and developing about what he should be but we have unrealistic expectations. This isn’t just exclusively an issue at Texas, but it is more noticeable there simply because they always recruit so well rankings wise but have been extremely poor at putting talent in the nfl the last decade or so. 

...But the other teams with highly-ranked recruiting classes are doing great. Did you miss that part?

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

Honest question for UT fans...  who's on your Xmas list for OC and DC?

Legit answers only, please.   ;) 

OC..... I wouldn’t be upset with Graham Harrell.  I’d like to see Joe Brady with a full year of playcalling duties before I said him.  One of the guys from Clemson would be good, but prolly gonna pull the co- that doesn’t playcall.  Most likely id take Harrell.

DC.....  after reading about Chris Ash I’d like him.      I’m just worried it may be a comfort hire too, but Herman has to get these right as his seat is very warm.  Any early season blunders next year and it starts getting extremely hot quick.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

OC..... I wouldn’t be upset with Graham Harrell.  I’d like to see Joe Brady with a full year of playcalling duties before I said him.  One of the guys from Clemson would be good, but prolly gonna pull the co- that doesn’t playcall.  Most likely id take Harrell.

Great point...  as impressive as LSU has looked this season, I'm still on the fence how much of their production has been due to Burrow's talent vs. Brady's coaching acumen. Or just a fortunate chemistry between the two. Joe Burreaux has seemingly come out of nowhere this season. I don't recall any glimpses of this level of play last season. The true test of Brady's skill will come next year when he has to replace a Heisman winner. 

3 minutes ago, AKA said:

Great point...  as impressive as LSU has looked this season, I'm still on the fence how much of their production has been due to Burrow's talent vs. Brady's coaching acumen. Or just a fortunate chemistry between the two. Joe Burreaux has seemingly come out of nowhere this season. I don't recall any glimpses of this level of play last season. The true test of Brady's skill will come next year when he has to replace a Heisman winner. 

There’s no doubt you can see an outside influence on Ensminger’s offense.  I figure he’ll take over after next year.  However if teams start calling on him for interviews, LSU may have to take the co- tag off of him this coming year to keep him happy.  

burrow is one of the best college qb’s I’ve ever seen.  He’s pro ready now.  He’s polished.  Go back and watch the Texas game.  See the TD throw right before half.  Very few qb’s put the ball there for the catch.  That was a pro level throw.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AKA said:

OC: I will gladly push 11/1/2008 to the back of my mind for Graham Harrell. Success at North Texas (look how far the have dropped this year). Success at USC (may have saved Helton's job). Former TXHSFB stud. He may flop at UT, but atleast Texas would go down attempting to play with athletes in space, and not the 12 personnel disaster that takes a special talent at TE to work with how Herman wants.

DC: I don't really have a wish...but Ash seems to be the front runner/foregone conclusion. 

25 minutes ago, AKA said:

Harrell looks to be likely at OC.  As long as he isn't pass-happy, I'd be OK.  Looking at USC stats, it does appear he runs a lot with 4 RB's for USC having 97, 68, 67, and 48 attempts with 4.8, 5.5, 5.6 and 6.4 avg. per carry.  I also saw something last night that said USC really doesn't go fast-paced/hurry up offense.  What he's done with a 3rd string QB is pretty impressive as well.

For DC, I'd like Barry Odom to get a look.  I think the Utah DC is just hopes and dreams.  I'm split on Ash.  Looks like another "buddy" hire, but he was Co-DC when Ohip State won it all, but I'm not sure if who was calling the plays between him and Fickell.

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

burrow is one of the best college qb’s I’ve ever seen.  He’s pro ready now.  He’s polished.  Go back and watch the Texas game.  See the TD throw right before half.  Very few qb’s put the ball there for the catch.  That was a pro level throw.  

Oh yes, I've gone back and watched most of his collegiate games and almost all of his college highlights. Burrow truly fascinates me. As a former has-been (actually a "never-was") QB myself, I study quarterbacks. His skill is uncanny. Which begs the question: just where in the hell did he come from? There was little-to-no indication of this level of ability last season, or any season at Ohio State. Dude has literally come out of nowhere. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

OC- seems to be a 1 man race right now. I don’t think Brady is leaving LSU and the only other name that I’ve seen mentioned is the Clemson co-OC/WR coach. Harrell seems like the leader and could happen before NSD1. The questions remaining are who feels out the rest of the offensive staff. Reports are that Hand and Drayton will stay. Beck will get the option of staying but the role isn’t known. That leaves QB, TE, and WR coaching needs. The OC will also have a say on Hand at OL coach. I think Drayton is untouchable. 

DC- I like to have Scalley from Utah or Jimmy Lake from Washington. I’m not a huge fan of Ash. On this side of the ball the only opening right now is LB coach and DC. After the bowl game I think Texas will part ways with CB coach Washington and S coach Naiviar(interim DC), Giles at DL appears safe. Obviously the new DC will have all the power to hire on his side of the ball. 

Another thing I’m very interested in is what Texas decides to do for special teams coaching. That unit was rough this year and needs attention. 

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

OC: I will gladly push 11/1/2008 to the back of my mind for Graham Harrell. Success at North Texas (look how far the have dropped this year). Success at USC (may have saved Helton's job). Former TXHSFB stud. He may flop at UT, but atleast Texas would go down attempting to play with athletes in space, and not the 12 personnel disaster that takes a special talent at TE to work with how Herman wants.

We just fired our OC. So that tells you how much we miss Harrell lol