Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JustAFan11

Longhorns 2019 Thread

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

wonder how successful his triple option would be in the BIG10? not very I would imagine...he'd be fired and coaching for Air Force or Army

It couldn’t be much worse than what Nebraska put on the field this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

It couldn’t be much worse than what Nebraska put on the field this year. 

I do think Frost could be a success there, but so far he hasn't had the talent depth (the Texas issue this year) to overcome injuries. I do not think they have had the extreme amount of injuries the Horns have had, but they have had critical injuries to the few play makers they do have, at this point. 

I believe schools like them, Michigan (they've maintained better), and Notre Dame (they too have maintained better) are great examples of why despite being a blue blood power, when you are in the northern part of our country you will have a more difficult time recruiting the top "warm weather state" (where most comes from) recruits to come in and bundle up for the snow and extra layered, over dressed co-eds. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I do think Frost could be a success there, but so far he hasn't had the talent depth (the Texas issue this year) to overcome injuries. I do not think they have had the extreme amount of injuries the Horns have had, but they have had critical injuries to the few play makers they do have, at this point. 

I believe schools like them, Michigan (they've maintained better), and Notre Dame (they too have maintained better) are great examples of why despite being a blue blood power, when you are in the northern part of our country you will have a more difficult time recruiting the top "warm weather state" (where most comes from) recruits to come in and bundle up for the snow and extra layered, over dressed co-eds. ;)

I agree 100%. It’s also a fact that the “scenery” tends to be easier on the eyes in those warm weather states. I don’t recall seeing many shots of the cheerleaders, twirlers or coeds in the student section during “The Game”, but it was dang near every other snap in the Iron Bowl. All other things equal, if I’m a blue chipper from Florida, there’s no way I’m picking Michigan or Notre Dame over BAMA, UGA, Auburn, or LSU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Joe Burrow showed flashes of this last year.  I was laughed at when I said he was a solid QB.  But... LSU was running a lot of 3 WR sets with max protect... that doesn’t give you a lot of options.  This year he has 5 options plus his legs on almost every single passing play.  His ability to go through his progressions is unmatched by anyone in college football this year.  He should be the hands down #1 QB going into the draft based on this year.  Anyone who passes on him deserves to fail

Oh yeah. I mean, look who recruited him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe my brain is going soft or something but I get what WET is saying.  He is not blaming a lack of development of players on the coaches from Texas as the problem. He believes that they were over ranked classes to begin with. I think in some respect that whenever a Texas or Alabama, A&M, Michigan, ect  offer a kid thats not highly ranked every ranking service ask them-self what did we miss and give them a bump. It is not just a Texas thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 514 said:

Maybe my brain is going soft or something but I get what WET is saying.  He is not blaming a lack of development of players on the coaches from Texas as the problem. He believes that they were over ranked classes to begin with. I think in some respect that whenever a Texas or Alabama, A&M, Michigan, ect  offer a kid thats not highly ranked every ranking service ask them-self what did we miss and give them a bump. It is not just a Texas thing.

But he’s only taking about 1-2 players that get bumped up due to Texas offers.  Most of the kids Texas has recruited the last 2-3 years had good offer lists except maybe 2 per class, 3 tops.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

wonder how successful his triple option would be in the BIG10? not very I would imagine...he'd be fired and coaching for Air Force or Army

You mean today? Maybe not. Things have changed. But even in the '90s when all the other bigtime programs were going to pro style offenses, he won. And like I said - Without the top-ranked talent all those other teams boasted. 

Saying Osborne's Nebraska teams wouldn't win today is like those rascals who debate my choice of the '21 Waco Tigers over the '83 Daingerfield Tigers as best high school football team in the history of Texas. Different eras, but you play who you play, and play the game the way it was. And Waco was more dominant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, 514 said:

Maybe my brain is going soft or something but I get what WET is saying.  He is not blaming a lack of development of players on the coaches from Texas as the problem. He believes that they were over ranked classes to begin with. I think in some respect that whenever a Texas or Alabama, A&M, Michigan, ect  offer a kid thats not highly ranked every ranking service ask them-self what did we miss and give them a bump. It is not just a Texas thing.

No, that's a legit point. And I actually heard the guys on "You Make The Call" talking about a report (If I remember correctly) that indicated Texas foitball players "peak" in high school because so much emphasis is put on winning at that level. So essentially what's being insinuated is that these other programs win more because the majority of their highly-ranked recruiting classes aren't from Texas. Which does make an interesting, if not outright troubling, point. 

Still, if you're going to say a Texas player's rating got bumped because of interest from an Alabama or Notre Dame, then wouldn't the same be true for players from other states, thus negating that criteria?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be part of the problem with Texas developing recruits.

 

The 2010s were the worst decade in Texas history, full stop. A look at UT's offensive coordinators through the decade:

2010: Greg Davis
2011: Bryan Harsin
2012: Bryan Harsin
2013: Major Applewhite
2014: Shawn Watson
2015: Jay Norvell
2016: Sterlin Gilbert
2017-19: Tim Beck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

This might be part of the problem with Texas developing recruits.

 

The 2010s were the worst decade in Texas history, full stop. A look at UT's offensive coordinators through the decade:

2010: Greg Davis
2011: Bryan Harsin
2012: Bryan Harsin
2013: Major Applewhite
2014: Shawn Watson
2015: Jay Norvell
2016: Sterlin Gilbert
2017-19: Tim Beck

The simple fact no consistency from year to year is a problem. Learning new systems isn't exactly easy every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well one thing is for sure different with this coaching search compared to others in the past. CDC has really tighten up on the athletic department leaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Read on Football Insider (I think) that Herb Hand may be a candidate for the Georgia OL coaching job. 

If so he will have another Braun to coach. Parker Braun’s “little brother”, Joshua, committed to Georgia. He is a 4-star recruit and is listed at 6-6 and around 330.

All of the previous Braun’s played at Georgia Tech. Was hoping that Parker’s experience at Texas would land his brother. This hope was of course at the beginning of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Read on Football Insider (I think) that Herb Hand may be a candidate for the Georgia OL coaching job. 

I would take it if I was him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I would take it if I was him.

Matt Luke just took that job. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Man... those guys just leveraged the UT opening for a raise. Strong was hired out of panic in my opinion. I think Herman was a popular hire. He was one of the top, young coaches coming up in college football. The downside is the program is having to go through the growing pains of Herman learning the difference of being the head coach at a smaller university compared to a larger university that will be under the microscope of college football.

I think you're right about this. I remember those days...  LSU and UT were both fighting hard for Herman. Dude was THE hot young coach at the time. Various leaks to different reporters at different points saying Herman was about to sign with one team or the other. Honestly, I can't say I blame UT wanting to act fast.

Not trying to say "I told you so" or compound your frustration, but I never did understand the hype over Herman: 

On 11/19/2015 at 1:52 PM, AKA said:

'Horn fan buddy of mine is an anti-vax and anti-flouridation conspiracy theorist. He's convinced that disgruntled UT boosters are floating the "Strong not happy" and "Strong to Miami" rumors to send a hint. Dude believes the Houston oil mafia UT boosters want to slide Tom Herman in there. My buddy is crazy, but I think he may be on to something.

On 10/8/2016 at 8:53 PM, AKA said:

UT alums may want to kick the tires on Herman before they go for the greener grass. What has he actually done?

No one doubts his acumen as a recruiter and playcaller, but aside from a 10-point home win over a mediocre OU squad, a big win over FSU (last year) and whipping weak conference opponents, what has he really done? How is his resume any more impressive than Strong's?

On 10/9/2016 at 8:07 PM, AKA said:

...consider me firmly in the camp of the Herman skeptics (what few of us there are).

Again, I think he's a good coach, but I just don't see him as a gamechanger. I've seen nothing in his CV that suggests he could radically change the culture at UT to turn them into a national championship contender overnight.

On 10/9/2016 at 8:23 PM, AKA said:

But that's the thing... despite their mediocre W-L record, Texas has recruited quite well. And I agree with what you're saying, the UT brass has had their fingers in the cookie dough since Strong was announced. His decisions questioned at every sign of adversity. Zero patience. They're just expecting UT to just be better all of a sudden because.... uh, "We're Texas!" Bro, it ain't like it was. Parity is real.

What am I saying, I hope they do run Strong off. As an OU fan, that'd be good for us. Another new guy. Another "building year."

On 11/25/2016 at 2:59 PM, AKA said:

Tom Herman's gameplan and adjustments have been mediocre (at best). Ward makes UH relevant, almost single-handedly. It's taken a ridiculous effort by (arguably) the best quarterback in college football to stay with this mighty 7-4 Memphis squad. And they still lost.

On 11/25/2016 at 5:20 PM, AKA said:

I dunno man, I just don't see the big deal on Herman. Don't misunderstand me, I think he's a fine coach and all, I'm just amazed that he's being treated like a sure thing. The salaries being mentioned are insane for a guy with such a thin résumé.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AKA said:

I think you're right about this. I remember those days...  LSU and UT were both fighting hard for Herman. Dude was THE hot young coach at the time. Various leaks to different reporters at different points saying Herman was about to sign with one team or the other. Honestly, I can't say I blame UT wanting to act fast.

Not trying to say "I told you so" or compound your frustration, but I never did understand the hype over Herman: 

I've come to believe that coaches who won at Houston may be fools gold. It's an easy place to win- favorable schedule, large talent pool to pull from... And also winning in the AAC is way different from winning in the Big XII or SEC. I also think a lot of people looked at the game that Houston won vs OU in early 2016 and thought Herman was the guy to knock off OU and win the Big XII. Not exactly a bad assumption to make. 

All that said, I still think Herman is a decent coach and a good OC. But if Texas is going to be back to winning 10 games every year, I don't know that he'll be the one to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I've come to believe that coaches who won at Houston may be fools gold. It's an easy place to win- favorable schedule, large talent pool to pull from... And also winning in the AAC is way different from winning in the Big XII or SEC. I also think a lot of people looked at the game that Houston won vs OU in early 2016 and thought Herman was the guy to knock off OU and win the Big XII. Not exactly a bad assumption to make. 

All that said, I still think Herman is a decent coach and a good OC. But if Texas is going to be back to winning 10 games every year, I don't know that he'll be the one to do it.

I too think it will be the next coach that gets Texas back where they want to be. Herman has already lost too much momentum imo. And i honestly think this team is worse off with Orlando gone. I know they gave up lots of points and yards this year, but a lot of that was injuries, depth issues and the offense putting them in some really bad spots after going 3 and out in a hurry up many times. 

Orlando will be the scapegoat, but I believe this is on Herman more than him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15th in yds/game, 22nd in total yards,  18th in points/game.  As bad as the offense was at times it was still pretty productive.  It was very prone to give the ball back at inopportune times.  But to say the fault Is the offenses is not quite right.  
Orlando was his own worst enemy.  He was stubborn.  I’m not taking up for Herman, I actually wanted Texas to fire him.  But Orlando brought his firing on himself.  He was predictable in his every move and the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.  His pass rush, or lack there of, did his back 7 no favors especially when the injuries piled up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtually every guy that I coached defense with the last twenty years that had an opinion about Orlando and his play calling had negative comments. We used athleticism over technique or strategy. Bad form puts you in bad position to make the play and/or tackle. I don't think Herman had any choice but to get rid of Orlando because I didn't see any changes throughout the season to improve our defense. If he was unwilling to change or compromise, Herman has to find someone that is at least not too stubborn to fix something when it's broken; or at least not working very well. I mean you can ride a bike with a bent rim, but wouldn't it be better to fix the rim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Virtually every guy that I coached defense with the last twenty years that had an opinion about Orlando and his play calling had negative comments. We used athleticism over technique or strategy. Bad form puts you in bad position to make the play and/or tackle. I don't think Herman had any choice but to get rid of Orlando because I didn't see any changes throughout the season to improve our defense. If he was unwilling to change or compromise, Herman has to find someone that is at least not too stubborn to fix something when it's broken; or at least not working very well. I mean you can ride a bike with a bent rim, but wouldn't it be better to fix the rim?

I agree with all of your points. The only thing I will say is there’s two sides to every story. Maybe no changes were made because they practiced said changes and it wasn’t working as well as what they already were using... I’m just saying in January Orlando was thought of as likely a HC soon and probably a top 10 DC in the game. Now he’s fired. I just think it seemed a little knee jerk but I think Herman had to fire someone and the defense caught most of the blame for this season. I think we will see Orlando end up somewhere and do well again someday, just a bad draw this year with all the talent he lost from last year and all the injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with all of your points. The only thing I will say is there’s two sides to every story. Maybe no changes were made because they practiced said changes and it wasn’t working as well as what they already were using... I’m just saying in January Orlando was thought of as likely a HC soon and probably a top 10 DC in the game. Now he’s fired. I just think it seemed a little knee jerk but I think Herman had to fire someone and the defense caught most of the blame for this season. I think we will see Orlando end up somewhere and do well again someday, just a bad draw this year with all the talent he lost from last year and all the injuries. 

I’ll bet he never gets a top P5 DC job.  You may see him at a place like Missouri, NC state, Utah State, Colorado State, etc.....  there’s enough film on him at Texas to show he can’t adjust to spread teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with all of your points. The only thing I will say is there’s two sides to every story. Maybe no changes were made because they practiced said changes and it wasn’t working as well as what they already were using... I’m just saying in January Orlando was thought of as likely a HC soon and probably a top 10 DC in the game. Now he’s fired. I just think it seemed a little knee jerk but I think Herman had to fire someone and the defense caught most of the blame for this season. I think we will see Orlando end up somewhere and do well again someday, just a bad draw this year with all the talent he lost from last year and all the injuries. 

I think he lands on his feet somewhere. Look at Chad Morris. As bad as Arkansas was, he stays in the SEC with a contender. I bet is pay is pretty decent as well. Harsin, Manny Diaz, and many other coaches that didn't pan out at Texas seem to do okay at other places. It's not an easy place to coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando should go to the Big 10.  He thrives against pro-style type offenses.  His best defensive performances over the years were against Georgia, K-State, Iowa State for the most part, against FSU while at UH.  He'd see a lot of those types in the Big 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...