Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Everyone knows Herman is on extremely thin ice. It’s hard once you’re in that spot to  lure comfortable guys away from their job. Which is why I said all along keeping Herman and using Orlando as the fall guy was the wrong move imo. Should have fired Herman, thrown the kitchen sink at Urban Meyer and called it a day. All you’ve done is prolong this a year.

you want to know the worst case scenario in all of this... Dallas lures away Lincoln Riley this year And ou hires urban Meyer. That would be a nightmare scenario for Texas in 2020 and beyond. Imagine this time next year when you’re having to replace Herman while OU is in year two closing a top 3 class with urban Meyer. Ouch. 

That being said, I don’t think you’ll get that unlucky. I think Urban takes the cowboys job and this is a mute point. 

Texas would never hire Urban Meyer. The donors would revolt and have everyone fired if he even interviewed. 

15 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

The Will to get back to being Texas will may anyone write the checkbook. Texas big shots will not settle for 7-5 . 

They’ll settle on anyone before they hire Meyer. Make no mistake Texas donors love winning but more than anything they don’t want to see their beloved Texas hit with scandals. Meyer and Briles will never sniff the Texas job. 

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I never understood the Harrell thing. 

He is already at a job where the HC is probably going to be fired, so why uproot to move to the same situation without having a year already into the team.

Harrell wants to be back in Texas. It took 3 days after USC offered for him to leave North Texas. 
Herman just blew this deal, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Graham Harrell is staying put at USC. He just signed a multi year extension.

I'm soooo frustrated with Herman and the Horns for this...

just playing devil's advocate for a second, but is there any thought that as Harrell did very well with USC that Herman worried if he brought Harrell here that it would set Herman up for "his replacement" to be coaching for him?

see, I was actually surprised that USC didn't cut the HC loose and hire Harrell...I felt like they would have done that with Kliff.

5 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I'm soooo frustrated with Herman and the Horns for this...

just playing devil's advocate for a second, but is there any thought that as Harrell did very well with USC that Herman worried if he brought Harrell here that it would set Herman up for "his replacement" to be coaching for him?

see, I was actually surprised that USC didn't cut the HC loose and hire Harrell...I felt like they would have done that with Kliff.

Harrell isn’t ready for a P5 HC job yet. He only has 1 year as a P5 coordinator. 

41 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Harrell isn’t ready for a P5 HC job yet. He only has 1 year as a P5 coordinator. 

Yeah, if Littrell leaves next year, I could see us making a run at him again. He originally turned down USC and North Carolina to stay at North Texas as OC. I met him in person at a season ticket holder event. Really laid back guy. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AKA said:

True story...  a few years ago I was terrified that UT was gonna lure Briles to Austin. 

Dude may be a scumbag, but damn if he can't coach a football team. 

42 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I heard a report yesterday that Meyer is seen as "toxic" at the college level and would only be looking at NFL HC jobs or staying in his TV role.

Make no mistake, Texas donors want to win and win big in all sporting events but they are not a win at any cost type of people. 

Charlie Strong wanted to hire Clint Hurrt to be his dline coach but Texas said no because of a recruiting violation he had against him. Strongs DB coach at Texas was hit with infractions from the Ole Miss fallout and was fired before anything about Ole Miss was made public. 

The Texas people that matter aren’t going to sacrifice the integrity of the university to win football games because in reality they don’t have too. Texas football is always going to make money for the university and that won’t change. Winning is important but not at all costs. 

12 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I wanted Herman fired.  Meyer would’ve been my top choice.  He may have even helped Herman pack lol

i don’t see urban as an NFL guy much less the Cowboys coach 

exactly...a strong coach like Urban Meyer (like Jimmy Johnson)...will not tolerate Jerry Jones and his constant mouthing and meddling. there's a reason Jason Garrett has been the coach for so long...he's a "Yes sir, whatever you want sir" kind of guy.

2 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Make no mistake, Texas donors want to win and win big in all sporting events but they are not a win at any cost type of people. 

Charlie Strong wanted to hire Clint Hurrt to be his dline coach but Texas said no because of a recruiting violation he had against him. Strongs DB coach at Texas was hit with infractions from the Ole Miss fallout and was fired before anything about Ole Miss was made public. 

The Texas people that matter aren’t going to sacrifice the integrity of the university to win football games because in reality they don’t have too. Texas football is always going to make money for the university and that won’t change. Winning is important but not at all costs. 

you and I would disagree on this one. the administration at Texas has just made mistakes along the way in their judgments on coaches, etc.

they most definitely want to win at all cost.

if it was as cut & dry as you think, then Herman would have been out when the Zack Smith/Urban Meyer/Ohio State junk started flying. that was awfully sticky at the time...especially once Herman's wife was putting out her messages instead of just shutting up. 

31 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

you and I would disagree on this one. the administration at Texas has just made mistakes along the way in their judgments on coaches, etc.

if it was as cut & dry as you think, then Herman would have been out when the Zack Smith/Urban Meyer/Ohio State junk started flying. that was awfully sticky at the time...especially once Herman's wife was putting out her messages instead of just shutting up. 

You’re wrong, Texas could’ve hired Briles when they chose Strong but didn’t. Why? 

Nothing damning came out from the Ohio st stuff about Herman. Just a lot of hearsay from Zach Smith, a guy who no one believes a word of what he says. Meyer never accused Herman of anything. There was nothing sticky about it, Herman wasn’t reprimanded in any way by Texas or the NCAA

Texas just fired their Tennis coach in the middle of a national championship  season because he was caught up in the scandal that gave scholarships to kids of parents that paid him for it.

22 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

You’re wrong, Texas could’ve hired Briles when they chose Strong but didn’t. Why? 

Nothing damning came out from the Ohio st stuff about Herman. Just a lot of hearsay from Zach Smith, a guy who no one believes a word of what he says. Meyer never accused Herman of anything. There was nothing sticky about it, Herman wasn’t reprimanded in any way by Texas or the NCAA

Texas just fired their Tennis coach in the middle of a national championship  season because he was caught up in the scandal that gave scholarships to kids of parents that paid him for it.

No one was going to touch Briles... call it the NCAA equivalent of "NFL collusion"... I mean, I thought he was a damned good coach, but I wouldn't have hired him at any school...  the PR was a disaster for at least 3 years after the fact.

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

See this is where I have to disagree.  Ohio State requested Smith he hired and on staff.  I don’t think Meyer really had much of a choice in the matter since smith was Ohio State coaching royalty.  After it came out that the previous coach was told to keep the tattoo stuff under wraps by the administration I’m not shocked.  I believe Meyer did know about Smith beating his wife but couldn’t do anything about it.  Ohio State didn’t want a huge black eye so Meyer told Herman to keep him out of trouble.  The more I think about this the more plausible I think it’s true

briles knew about the sexual assaults and rapes going on and interfered with justice by not reporting it.  His son was using the lure of sex with “young white virgins” as his recruiting pitch.  
I don’t want either Briles.

if Texas wanted to win at all costs, they wouldn’t have hired Strong to clean up the culture and drug use in the football program.  

8 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

No one was going to touch Briles... call it the NCAA equivalent of "NFL collusion"... I mean, I thought he was a damned good coach, but I wouldn't have hired him at any school...  the PR was a disaster for at least 3 years after the fact.

Texas hired Strong in 2013 and Briles was fired in 2015. Texas could’ve hired Briles before the Baylor mess came out. 

Horns247 had Briles and Fisher as the front runners. 

• Like 1