Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

8 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas hired Strong in 2013 and Briles was fired in 2015. Texas could’ve hired Briles before the Baylor mess came out. 

Horns247 had Briles and Fisher as the front runners. 

Briles didn’t think he needed to sit down and interview with Patterson.  He said he’d beaten Texas plenty and that should’ve been interviewed enough

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

You’re wrong, Texas could’ve hired Briles when they chose Strong but didn’t. Why? 

Nothing damning came out from the Ohio st stuff about Herman. Just a lot of hearsay from Zach Smith, a guy who no one believes a word of what he says. Meyer never accused Herman of anything. There was nothing sticky about it, Herman wasn’t reprimanded in any way by Texas or the NCAA

Texas just fired their Tennis coach in the middle of a national championship  season because he was caught up in the scandal that gave scholarships to kids of parents that paid him for it.

at the time when they looked at Briles and in the end hired Strong, AB didn't have the "stink" on him yet. 

at that time, Strong was about the 10th guy or even further down their list...if you remember, Texas had a terrible time drawing interest. they got turned down by a ton of folks that in the past would have been clambering for the gig.

Coach Center (tennis) was involved in a NATIONAL level scandal that was front and center on every newscast anywhere. the same as any other of the big schools (USC) that had coaches in that...no matter their success nationally, you weren't keeping your job with potential jail time hanging over you.

oh I realize that nothing was released on it and I'm glad, but I'm sure there was something legit there, since there was "smoke" coming up...and Herman was responding instead of ignoring the nonsense. you don't have to respond if there's nothing to it...reporters can dig and there won't  be a body to find. 

as far as Charlie cleaning up the culture...kudos, but that's something ANY coach worth a dang would have done. you can't build an excellent program w/o having your program straightened out, heading in "your direction". if there is chaos and everyone is breaking NCAA rules (failing drug tests and not going to/failing classes academically) then you won't have anyone worth a hoot that you can depend on to get on the field.

lack of discipline in one area, carries over into every area!

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

at the time when they looked at Briles and in the end hired Strong, AB didn't have the "stink" on him yet. 

at that time, Strong was about the 10th guy or even further down their list...if you remember, Texas had a terrible time drawing interest. they got turned down by a ton of folks that in the past would have been clambering for the gig.

Coach Center (tennis) was involved in a NATIONAL level scandal that was front and center on every newscast anywhere. the same as any other of the big schools (USC) that had coaches in that...no matter their success nationally, you weren't keeping your job with potential jail time hanging over you.

oh I realize that nothing was released on it and I'm glad, but I'm sure there was something legit there, since there was "smoke" coming up...and Herman was responding instead of ignoring the nonsense. you don't have to respond if there's nothing to it...reporters can dig and there won't  be a body to find. 

Art Briles has had a stink since Stephenville. 

33 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Duncanville HC confirmed this morning that Texas signee JaQuinden Jackson tore his ACL and will miss the state championship game. 

JQJ will enroll early at Texas but with the timing of the injury, he is probably a lock to RS now. 

Rivalry aside, I hate to see a kid get hurt right before State, especially his senior year.  :( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKA said:

Rivalry aside, I hate to see a kid get hurt right before State, especially his senior year.  :( 

Yeah I decided not to go to Jerry world for that game once he got injured. I know Duncanville will give all they have but this injury probably kills their chances of revenge. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yeah I decided not to go to Jerry world for that game once he got injured. I know Duncanville will give all they have but this injury probably kills their chances of revenge. 

That defense of theirs is still elite...I think it will still be a slugfest this year

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Like I said before, he continues to #### me off.

He's very immature. This and the mocking of the QB a few years ago on the sideline. These things in my opinion are symptoms of a young, arrogant coach. He does a good job recruiting and building relationships with his players, but he's got to be the grown up of that program. I'm sure he didn't know the cameras were going to shoot to the room at the time he double flipped the bird. But that doesn't matter - he's like the kid that is not supposed to get in the cookie jar but gets caught climbing on the cabinets to get to the jar on top of the fridge. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

He's very immature. This and the mocking of the QB a few years ago on the sideline. These things in my opinion are symptoms of a young, arrogant coach. He does a good job recruiting and building relationships with his players, but he's got to be the grown up of that program. I'm sure he didn't know the cameras were going to shoot to the room at the time he double flipped the bird. But that doesn't matter - he's like the kid that is not supposed to get in the cookie jar but gets caught climbing on the cabinets to get to the jar on top of the fridge. 

Totally agree, and it demonstrates yet again that he's "Not Ready For Primetime."

You can get away with these kinds of shenanigans if you're a coordinator or the head guy at a mid-major like Houston or something. You can also get away with it if you're stacking conference championships and playoff appearances. 

But the head coach of the Texas Longhorns flipping off cameras, mocking an opposing QB, or almost getting into a fight with another coach? That's some bush-league BS. 

You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win nattys at a bluebood program, you can have fungus on your shoes and the press will think you're colorful.

But if you're struggling with also-rans in your conference, these kinds of antics only augment your mediocrity. 

• Like 1

Regarding the double bird from Herman, he’s going to have to win the conference  next year to keep his job. 

The flipping off the camera doesn’t move the needle for me. Opposing coaches will use it, opposing fans will use it, Oklahoma mods have already sent screen shots to Alfred Colins but he was in a room with his coaches having a conversation we couldn’t hear. 

I think Herman will won and win big at some point maybe that’s at Texas and maybe not but as far as I’m concerned, with his lack luster DC hire and balking on Harrell, he’s got 1 year to prove it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Regarding the double bird from Herman, he’s going to have to win the conference  next year to keep his job. 

The flipping off the camera doesn’t move the needle for me. Opposing coaches will use it, opposing fans will use it, Oklahoma mods have already sent screen shots to Alfred Colins but he was in a room with his coaches having a conversation we couldn’t hear. 

I think Herman will won and win big at some point maybe that’s at Texas and maybe not but as far as I’m concerned, with his lack luster DC hire and balking on Harrell, he’s got 1 year to prove it. 

Just curious, what’s your reasoning for believing he will win big at some point? 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Just curious, what’s your reasoning for believing he will win big at some point? 

Here are my thoughts on it...

The guy can obviously have his team ready to play the "big" games. At some point down the road he has a chance to get it right with his assistant hires (while also removing himself from "OC" duties) and they will be able to eliminate the lackluster games against lesser opponents. 

Just now, WETSU said:

I know you weren't talking to me, but I actually do believe he will win big again at some point...  but I think that will either be in the Pac 10 or at another mid-major. 

UT will ride Ehlinger to another pretty good statistical season on offense, but the defense will only marginally improve. I think they'll be only slightly better next season, and it won't be enough to keep his job. 

I expect Herman to land in California, possibly be the guy USC hires after Helton or the guy UCLA hires after Kelly.