Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Just curious, what’s your reasoning for believing he will win big at some point? 

Because eventually he will take on the CEO role that he will flourish in. He is a very good recruiter, he knows how to implement a tough/physical culture, and the players love him. 

I see him taking a path much like Coach O. 

23 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Because eventually he will take on the CEO role that he will flourish in. He is a very good recruiter, he knows how to implement a tough/physical culture, and the players love him. 

I gotcha. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Regarding the double bird from Herman, he’s going to have to win the conference  next year to keep his job. 

The flipping off the camera doesn’t move the needle for me. Opposing coaches will use it, opposing fans will use it, Oklahoma mods have already sent screen shots to Alfred Colins but he was in a room with his coaches having a conversation we couldn’t hear. 

I think Herman will won and win big at some point maybe that’s at Texas and maybe not but as far as I’m concerned, with his lack luster DC hire and balking on Harrell, he’s got 1 year to prove it. 

I know exactly the conversation.  “How funny would it be if they caught us flipping the camera off while it’s filming?”  “Very funny coach.”  “There’s no way we are in right now.”  (Flips camera off). His yes man laughs then flips it off too.  “Oh #### it’s on!  This isn’t good.”

• LOL! 2

thing I wonder is being that this is the Longhorn Network, and now they're taking more $hit for some network bonehead switching over w/o an alert, etc...someone's head will roll...a camera guy...a producer I'd imagine.

"guys, this is our network built for the good of UT and instead you allowed damage"...no bueno

3 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

He's very immature. This and the mocking of the QB a few years ago on the sideline. These things in my opinion are symptoms of a young, arrogant coach. He does a good job recruiting and building relationships with his players, but he's got to be the grown up of that program. I'm sure he didn't know the cameras were going to shoot to the room at the time he double flipped the bird. But that doesn't matter - he's like the kid that is not supposed to get in the cookie jar but gets caught climbing on the cabinets to get to the jar on top of the fridge. 

3 hours ago, AKA said:

Totally agree, and it demonstrates yet again that he's "Not Ready For Primetime."

You can get away with these kinds of shenanigans if you're a coordinator or the head guy at a mid-major like Houston or something. You can also get away with it if you're stacking conference championships and playoff appearances. 

But the head coach of the Texas Longhorns flipping off cameras, mocking an opposing QB, or almost getting into a fight with another coach? That's some bush-league BS. 

You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win nattys at a bluebood program, you can have fungus on your shoes and the press will think you're colorful.

But if you're struggling with also-rans in your conference, these kinds of antics only augment your mediocrity. 

It's an integrity thing. Would Saban do that? Dabo? Jimbo? Coach O? Coaches  can cuss, yell, be a jerk, I don't care. 

But the double bird is just middle school antics. Herman does good things. I'm rooting for him obviously and this isn't me calling for his head or anything. It just causes me to shake my head in disappointment. If you want people to take your program seriously, you have to be taken serious on a personal level. You have to earn respect, and that is all about how you act with or without people watching. And like AKA said, you are the coach of the University of Texas. You are the head coach of the wealthiest college football program in the nation, one of the biggest brands in all of sports. Act like it.

I digress.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think this is very feasible/plausible. 

Now, if the Texas brass gives him enough time is another question. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I think this is very feasible/plausible. 

Now, if the Texas brass gives him enough time is another question. 

Agreed.

His OC hire is what is going to make or break his tenure at Texas. You have to score points in this league and you have to be creative doing it. If his OC hire isn’t a home run then I fear a new HC search will be taking place this time next year.

The DC hire, while I’m not a huge fan, doesn’t have to be a home run. Just a guy that can develop talent and keep things simple. Texas has the athletes to be a great defense. 

8 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

It's an integrity thing. Would Saban do that? Dabo? Jimbo? Coach O? Coaches  can cuss, yell, be a jerk, I don't care. 

But the double bird is just middle school antics. Herman does good things. I'm rooting for him obviously and this isn't me calling for his head or anything. It just causes me to shake my head in disappointment. If you want people to take your program seriously, you have to be taken serious on a personal level. You have to earn respect, and that is all about how you act with or without people watching. And like AKA said, you are the coach of the University of Texas. You are the head coach of the wealthiest college football program in the nation, one of the biggest brands in all of sports. Act like it.

I digress.

I agree with this entirely. This is just such a childish thing to do. Even young HCs at the college level should just know/be better than that. I mean that’s literally high school boy stuff. Regardless if you got caught or not this is childish behavior. And it’s just not something you usually see from highly successful people of any profession. 

He might yet turn it around, but the guy just comes across as arrogant and childish. Those aren’t two traits you just lose once you’re already his age and at his level. This isn’t like a young coach learning from a coaching/management mistake. This is a pattern of behavior that has reared it’s head a couple of times already that we know of. So what if players like him. Players like lots of unsuccessful coaches as well. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

I agree with this entirely. This is just such a childish thing to do. Even young HCs at the college level should just know/be better than that. I mean that’s literally high school boy stuff. Regardless if you got caught or not this is childish behavior. And it’s just not something you usually see from highly successful people of any profession. 

He might yet turn it around, but the guy just comes across as arrogant and childish. Those aren’t two traits you just lose once you’re already his age and at his level. This isn’t like a young coach learning from a coaching/management mistake. This is a pattern of behavior that has reared it’s head a couple of times already that we know of. So what if players like him. Players like lots of unsuccessful coaches as well. 

This is exactly where I'm at right now. Players liked Charlie Strong too. I don't need my HC to be best friends with all of the players. When it comes down to it, he is their boss and they are his employees. 

Couple of 2021 Longhorn commits playing in the state championship tonight for DentonRyan.#2 Bowman Jr and #1 Sanders, these two young men played a great game Bowman had 2 INTs and several catches out of the slot. Sanders had a late TD grab on a jump ball in the back of the endzone and at least 2 sacks+a FF. Tough loss tonight but I’m excited for those two kids to wear burnt orange. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Reading that Shepherd was academically ineligible and wil take the juco route to get grades up.  Can anyone confirm these rumors?

Not a longhorn fan but here’s what I have heard/think on the situation. It is a known fact A&M is holding a scholarship open for him. With their need for players at different positions and numbers tight, I doubt they are saving a scholarship for someone who is ineligible and going juco. 

What I will say is those rumors started right about the time most A&M mods have penciled him in as nearly a done deal to A&M. Whether this is just a rumor or truth is yet to be known, but just based off of the timing of it and the pursuit of him from A&Ms side, I’m leaning towards false. I very well could be wrong so don’t come back like some sort of hero if it’s true, but this just doesn’t really add up to me. Timing is suspect and the situation just doesn’t match from what everyone on A&Ms side is saying. 

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Reading that Shepherd was academically ineligible and wil take the juco route to get grades up.  Can anyone confirm these rumors?

I haven’t read much on Shepherd since he portalled. About a week or two ago there was a rumor that he wanted to take his name out of the portal and rejoin Texas, but nothing since.

6 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I haven’t read much on Shepherd since he portalled. About a week or two ago there was a rumor that he wanted to take his name out of the portal and rejoin Texas, but nothing since.

I’ve read several rumors including what you just said.  

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I’ve read several rumors including what you just said.  

Is that why you keep asking about is him coming to A&M a for sure thing? 

I mean it seems to me the rumors are all over the place from Texas fans. First he has grade issues and will be going juco. Then he wants to take his name out of the portal and stay at Texas. There may be truth to one of those yet, but they are rumors at the moment. The only things that we do know is that A&M has literally stopped recruiting one of their biggest positions of need because they feel confident in Shepherd taking that spot. Now it’s quite possible Jimbo knows absolutely nothing about his grades or his desire to remain at Texas, but that’s unlikely. I think he ends up an Aggie in January and the rest of these “rumors” are just stories flying around to make it look like he’s ending up anywhere else. Like I said I could be wrong, but the logic behind this points one way and all the “rumors” show little logic to them at this point. 

49 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I mean it seems to me the rumors are all over the place from Texas fans. First he has grade issues and will be going juco. Then he wants to take his name out of the portal and stay at Texas. There may be truth to one of those yet, but they are rumors at the moment. The only things that we do know is that A&M has literally stopped recruiting one of their biggest positions of need because they feel confident in Shepherd taking that spot. Now it’s quite possible Jimbo knows absolutely nothing about his grades or his desire to remain at Texas, but that’s unlikely. I think he ends up an Aggie in January and the rest of these “rumors” are just stories flying around to make it look like he’s ending up anywhere else. Like I said I could be wrong, but the logic behind this points one way and all the “rumors” show little logic to them at this point. 

I think you’re right. I’ve never read the grade/JUCO rumors and the rumor I did read cane from a random message board poster. 

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think you’re right. I’ve never read the grade/JUCO rumors and the rumor I did read cane from a random message board poster. 

I mean rumors are sometimes right. I’m by no means trying to say they are 100% false. I just think logically they don’t make much sense at this point. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

His recruitment was all over the place if you don’t remember.  I don’t know why you’d think this would be so cut and dry.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

His recruitment was all over the place if you don’t remember.  I don’t know why you’d think this would be so cut and dry.

I don’t know why you think it can’t be... his recruitment was all over the place between two schools. He apparently no longer wants to be at one. What else could it be? Look at the the things we know and stop trying to grasp to every rumor that might have him going anywhere but A&M. The facts are jimbos success at A&M essentially is riding on fixing his Oline and progressing forward. Jimbo has been in contact with Shepherd and has chosen to not pursue a graduate transfer or high school OT. You think he doesn’t pursue anyone if he has any doubts? Shepherd has been photographed at an A&M since the transfer talks started. His “handler”’ FWK tweeted out just a couple of weeks ago to Kenyon Green “help is on the way.” Shepherd has not to anyone’s knowledge visited or contacted anywhere else besides A&M this fall. And once again, Jimbo is saving a spot in the class that could very much be needed elsewhere. Do you think jimbo is just somehow hoodwinked? That poor at managing a program? 

The fact is there is TONS of smoke for the kid to transfer to A&M, and the only thing said showing different is a couple of random message board rumors that mods on either side have not touched. You tell me why we shouldn’t look at this as a cut and dry situation and believe the rumors...