Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Recommended Posts

Here is my early assessment of the 2019 Horns...

 

Offense first:

I've said for the last couple of days I believe Johnson and Humphrey both return. Johnson has made it official, now we wait for Humphrey.

There are a couple of losses on the OL, but not really a significant loss in talent, imo. 

Andrew Beck is gone, and has been the most reliable TE in several years, but I think Brewer is capable of filling in nicely.

Tre Watson is gone, but Ingram will be far better anyway.

Overall, I think Texas' offense will be one of the best in the country next year. 

 

Defense:

The defense loses 8 starters, potentially 9 if B Jones leaves. However, outside just a few players, I don't believe most were NFL caliber talent anyway. I believe Omenihu and G Johnson will be the two biggest losses. If Caleb Johnson comes in and fills in the way GJ did, then great, but he'll really have to step up bc GJ turned out to be a stud. Now if Caleb J is capable of being that good, even better as he has 3 years of eligibility. 

But Texas has some talented, experienced players capable of stepping up too...

Malcolm Roach, Gerald Wilbon, Ta'Quon Graham

As well as some young, very talented players, that I think will be better than what we've seen...

Joseph Ossai, Ayodele Adeoye, DeMarion Overshown, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook...as well as the Caden Sterns, of course, who already took a starting role. 

Then, of course, there are some very talented incoming freshman capable of making an instant impact as well...

Jordan Whittington, Tyler Johnson, De'Gabriel Floyd, Kenyatta Watson

 

My way too early prediction for Texas in 2019....The College Football Playoff. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Here is my early assessment of the 2019 Horns...

 

Offense first:

I've said for the last couple of days I believe Johnson and Humphrey both return. Johnson has made it official, now we wait for Humphrey.

There are a couple of losses on the OL, but not really a significant loss in talent, imo. 

Andrew Beck is gone, and has been the most reliable TE in several years, but I think Brewer is capable of filling in nicely.

Tre Watson is gone, but Ingram will be far better anyway.

Overall, I think Texas' offense will be one of the best in the country next year. 

 

Defense:

The defense loses 8 starters, potentially 9 if B Jones leaves. However, outside just a few players, I don't believe most were NFL caliber talent anyway. I believe Omenihu and G Johnson will be the two biggest losses. If Caleb Johnson comes in and fills in the way GJ did, then great, but he'll really have to step up bc GJ turned out to be a stud. Now if Caleb J is capable of being that good, even better as he has 3 years of eligibility. 

But Texas has some talented, experienced players capable of stepping up too...

Malcolm Roach, Gerald Wilbon, Ta'Quon Graham

As well as some young, very talented players, that I think will be better than what we've seen...

Joseph Ossai, Ayodele Adeoye, DeMarion Overshown, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook...as well as the Caden Sterns, of course, who already took a starting role. 

Then, of course, there are some very talented incoming freshman capable of making an instant impact as well...

Jordan Whittington, Tyler Johnson, De'Gabriel Floyd, Kenyatta Watson

 

My way too early prediction for Texas in 2019....The College Football Playoff. 

3

I think Texas will win the Big 12 with at least 2 losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Texas will win the Big 12 with at least 2 losses. 

Which 2 in your opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Texas will win the Big 12 with at least 2 losses. 

While I'm not saying (yet) they go undefeated, I am curious what 2 games you think they lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Texas will lose to LSU, and I think they will lose at least one conference game at some point in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Texas will lose to LSU, and I think they will lose at least one conference game at some point in the season.

LSU loses a few key players on offense, and most of the defense. Curious why you think Texas loses to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Texas will beat LSU.  Similar offense to Georgia and Orlando has shown to shut down that type.  Game is in Austin.  Herman thrives in these type of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

LSU loses a few key players on offense, and most of the defense. Curious why you think Texas loses to them?

Texas also loses most of their defense. I have more faith in LSU restocking their defense than I do Texas.

The offense probaly won’t Ben clicking t a high level in the 2nd game of the season. Especially with having to replace offensive lineman.

Expectations have been increased off of fool’s gold IMO. 

I want to see Texas win a conference title before I will openly predict they will be a top 4 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Ingram needs to get up to 220-225 and improve his explosiveness and he’ll be great. 

I look for him to have a great offseason and finally get Texas a 1K rusher. 

^^This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Texas also loses most of their defense. I have more faith in LSU restocking their defense than I do Texas.

The offense probaly won’t Ben clicking t a high level in the 2nd game of the season. Especially with having to replace offensive lineman.

Expectations have been increased off of fool’s gold IMO. 

I want to see Texas win a conference title before I will openly predict they will be a top 4 team.

And most of the Texas players taking over those positions next season will be better. That's why I have more faith in Texas replacing theirs than I do LSU. Again, outside of Omenihu and GJ, most of Texas' starting defensive players were SR's, with many of the players behind them FR. 

 

I understand the feeling of it being 'fool's gold', after the last several years, but I don't believe that to be the case this year. I still can't explain what the issue with not being able to beat Maryland again, but Texas lost to Ok State and WV by a combined 4 points. They beat an OU team led by Kyler Murray. They then had that same Kyler Murray led team within 5 points midway through the 4th quarter of the B12 championship game. And dominated an elite Georgia team in all facets of the game. 

That team will now return most of the offense, and replace most of the defensive players with guys who could very well be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

I think Texas will beat LSU.  Similar offense to Georgia and Orlando has shown to shut down that type.  Game is in Austin.  Herman thrives in these type of games.

LSU is nothing like Georgia... Georgia could score 50-60 on teams... LSU is lucky to break 30 in blow out wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early look at what Texas' depth chart could look like next season. Offense first...

 

Offense Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No.
QB Sam Ehlinger 11 Shane Buechele 7 Cameron Rising 3 Casey Thompson 8 Roschon Johnson *    
RB Keaontay Ingram 26 Daniel Young 32 Kyle Porter 21 Derrian Brown * Kirk Johnson 28 Tristian Houston 41
XWR Collin Johnson 9 Brennan Eagles 82 Malcolm Epps 85 Marcus Washington *        
HWR Lil'Jordan Humphrey 84 Jake Smith * D'Shawn Jamison 17 Joshua Moore 14        
ZWR Devin Duvernay 6 Jordan Whittington * John Burt 1 Kennedy Lewis * Jordan Pouncey 86    
YTE Cade Brewer 80 Reese Leitao 81 Brayden Liebrock * Rob Cummins 99 Jared Wiley *    
LT Sam Cosmi 52 Reese Moore 76 JP Urquidez 71 Isaiah Hookfin *        
LG Junior Angilau 75 Tyler Johnson * Christian Jones 70            
C Zach Shackelford 56 Derek Kerstetter 68 Tyler Johnson *            
RG Denzel Okafor 78 Tope Imade 67 Rafiti Ghirmai 74            
RT Derek Kerstetter 68 Denzel Okafor 78 Rafiti Ghirmai 74 Javonne Shepherd+ *

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Defense...

 

Defense                        
DE Malcolm Roach 32 Jacoby Jones * Myron Warren *            
NT Keondre Coburn 99 Gerald Wilbon 94 D'Andre Christmas-Giles 55            
DE Ta'Quon Graham 49 Marqez Bimage 42 Jamari Chisholm 91 T'Vondre Sweat          
BLB Jeffrey McCulloch 23 Joseph Ossai 46 Byron Vaughns 50 Peter Mpagi *        
MLB Ayodele Adeoye 40 Jeffrey McCulloch 23 De'Gabriel Floyd * David Gbenda *        
ROV Caleb Johnson * De'Gabriel Floyd * Marcus Tillman Jr. *            
CB Anthony Cook 4 Kobe Boyce 38 Kenyatta Watson II * Marques Caldwell          
S Caden Sterns 7 Chris Brown 15 Tyler Owens * Montrell Estell 39        
S Brandon Jones 19 BJ Foster 25 Chris Adimora *            
CB Josh Thompson 29 Jalen Green 3 Donovan Duvernay 27            
NB BJ Foster 25 Chris Brown 15 Kenyatta Watson II *            
JB BJ Foster 25 DeMarvion Overshown 31 Tyler Owens *

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Way too early look at what Texas' depth chart could look like next season. Offense first...

 

Offense Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No. Name No.
QB Sam Ehlinger 17 Shane Buechele 7 Cameron Rising 3 Casey Thompson 8 Roschon Johnson *    
RB Keaontay Ingram 29 Daniel Young 32 Kyle Porter 21 Derrian Brown * Kirk Johnson 28 Tristian Houston 41
XWR Collin Johnson 9 Brennan Eagles 82 Malcolm Epps 85 Marcus Washington *        
HWR Lil'Jordan Humphrey 84 Jake Smith * D'Shawn Jamison 17 Joshua Moore 14        
ZWR Devin Duvernay 6 Jordan Whittington * John Burt 1 Kennedy Lewis * Jordan Pouncey 86    
YTE Cade Brewer 80 Reese Leitao 81 Brayden Liebrock * Rob Cummins 99 Jared Wiley *    
LT Sam Cosmi 52 Reese Moore 76 JP Urquidez 71 Isaiah Hookfin *        
LG Junior Angilau 75 Tyler Johnson * Christian Jones 70            
C Zach Shackelford 56 Derek Kerstetter 68 Tyler Johnson *            
RG Denzel Okafor 78 Tope Imade 67 Rafiti Ghirmai 74            
RT Derek Kerstetter 68 Denzel Okafor 78 Rafiti Ghirmai 74 Javonne Shepherd+ *

Ehlinger and Ingram already announced number changes ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Ehlinger and Ingram already announced number changes ?

I didn't even catch that. I'm not sure what the deal is there. I haven't heard anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was apparently a typo. I just looked at the article again and they have it fixed. I fixed it above as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 Texas Football Schedule
Aug. 31—LOUISIANA TECH
Sept. 7—LSU
Sept. 14—at Rice (NRG Stadium)
Sept. 21—OKLAHOMA STATE

BYE WEEK 
Oct. 5—at West Virginia
Oct. 12—vs Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl)
Oct. 19—KANSAS
Oct. 26—at TCU

BYE WEEK
Nov. 9—KANSAS STATE
Nov. 16—at Iowa State
Nov. 23—at Baylor
Nov. 29—TEXAS TECH

So Texas has 3 four game seasons. With the Big12 having coaching turnover and new QBs at a few schools it should be Texas and OU in the championship game again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

And most of the Texas players taking over those positions next season will be better. That's why I have more faith in Texas replacing theirs than I do LSU. Again, outside of Omenihu and GJ, most of Texas' starting defensive players were SR's, with many of the players behind them FR. 

 

I understand the feeling of it being 'fool's gold', after the last several years, but I don't believe that to be the case this year. I still can't explain what the issue with not being able to beat Maryland again, but Texas lost to Ok State and WV by a combined 4 points. They beat an OU team led by Kyler Murray. They then had that same Kyler Murray led team within 5 points midway through the 4th quarter of the B12 championship game. And dominated an elite Georgia team in all facets of the game. 

That team will now return most of the offense, and replace most of the defensive players with guys who could very well be better. 

You’re not thinking clearly if you think Texas will replace their defense better than LSU will replace theirs. I’m not saying Texas won’t win or be a better overall team, but LSUs defense will be just fine next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

So Texas has 3 four game seasons. With the Big12 having coaching turnover and new QBs at a few schools it should be Texas and OU in the championship game again. 

Yep, almost the entire conference will be rebuilding next year.

Iowa State, of course, will be ready to play spoiler...  Baylor will be a bit better...   but neither will be near enough to usurp UT or OU. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You’re not thinking clearly if you think Texas will replace their defense better than LSU will replace theirs. I’m not saying Texas won’t win or be a better overall team, but LSUs defense will be just fine next season. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yep, almost the entire conference will be rebuilding next year.

Iowa State, of course, will be ready to play spoiler...  Baylor will be a bit better...   but neither will be near enough to usurp UT or OU. 

This man used the word usurp in a post on a Smoaky. Those Lobos have been showing out the last month or so!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

This man used the word usurp in a post on a Smoaky. Those Lobos have been showing out the last month or so!

My bad. I've re-reading Tolkien today. My head's in a weird place right now.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yep, almost the entire conference will be rebuilding next year.

Iowa State, of course, will be ready to play spoiler...  Baylor will be a bit better...   but neither will be near enough to usurp UT or OU. 

I expect a bounce back year from Oklahoma State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I expect a bounce back year from Oklahoma State.

I could see them struggling 1st half of season.  New qb, replace entire DL plus the main guys that rotated in and 1 starting LB.  Good skill guys returning.  Glad Texas gets them early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...