Longhorns 2019 Thread

JustAFan11

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

This class is about wrapped up.  Think you'll see 1-2 more WR's + Collins.  They wont say no to an elite guy like Ringo or somebody, but I think that'll wrap it up.

Probably not enough for top 5 due to #'s, but Texas will have landed mist of its primary targets, especially DL and OL.  Probably top 5 in composite average though.

I think you could see them go after another JUCO LB. I think ATH Hullaby is a LB recruit in the end. Also they'll continue to keep a spot or 2 open for grad transfers. 

On 9/15/2019 at 9:10 PM, DawgNation2015 said:

I still think he is still only 90% healthy.  If he can get the knee brace off we will see more pep in his step.  Definitely helps having Ro taking some snaps as well as the other RB that just got back from high ankle sprain.  We need all of them healthy.

I really like the way Roschon runs...I know that's speaking a obvious probably or something you guys have talked about a bunch, but he's been a real nice addition. Runs hard, even though he's big, he's elusive and becomes a small target to tackle for defenders...tough to bring down...looking forward to seeing us work some trick play wrinkles for him too (toss passes against OU maybe).    

With Ty Jordan's commitment, Texas has slid past Georgia into the #5 spot of the recruiting rankings. Obviously, with players like Zach Evans and Kelee Ringo strongly considering Georgia, it will most likely not finish this way, but it's a win today! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I really like the way Roschon runs...I know that's speaking a obvious probably or something you guys have talked about a bunch, but he's been a real nice addition. Runs hard, even though he's big, he's elusive and becomes a small target to tackle for defenders...tough to bring down...looking forward to seeing us work some trick play wrinkles for him too (toss passes against OU maybe).    

I know we haven't seen him throw the ball yet, but with his vision, speed, size and athleticism, he makes for a pretty darn good RB. I agree with you, I hope we see his arm utilized in some way maybe on some trick plays or even out of the wildcat for a different look.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I know we haven't seen him throw the ball yet, but with his vision, speed, size and athleticism, he makes for a pretty darn good RB. I agree with you, I hope we see his arm utilized in some way maybe on some trick plays or even out of the wildcat for a different look.

I thought it was weird when they ran the trick play against LSU and had Duvernay throw it. I was thinking, you have another player on the field who plays QB, why not let him run that play?

this past weekend against Rice would have been an example of Texas taking the foot off the gas once they got 28 honestly. they coasted for the last 20 points, nearly because they couldn't help but score them. you look at LSU and A&M not hesitating destroying their in-state lesser than talent opponents to try and make statements to take every opportunity to move up in a poll. people would have done the "Texas aka Tom Herman is classless for running it up on a team like Rice" had they scored another 3 TD's and gone for a score like 69-7 but it would have made more of a long term statement.

national Texas hate-ism

10 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I thought it was weird when they ran the trick play against LSU and had Duvernay throw it. I was thinking, you have another player on the field who plays QB, why not let him run that play?

I didn't understand that either. I also think the more they run that throw back to Sam on the reverse, the less it works. They ran that on like a 2nd and 6 and got about 8 yards. I can tell it's coming the second the ball is snapped. 

10 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

this past weekend against Rice would have been an example of Texas taking the foot off the gas once they got 28 honestly. they coasted for the last 20 points, nearly because they couldn't help but score them. you look at LSU and A&M not hesitating destroying their in-state lesser than talent opponents to try and make statements to take every opportunity to move up in a poll. people would have done the "Texas aka Tom Herman is classless for running it up on a team like Rice" had they scored another 3 TD's and gone for a score like 69-7 but it would have made more of a long term statement.

national Texas hate-ism

I would've liked a shutout, but it's nice when you can take your QB and most of the starters out of the game mid-third quarter and they still can score and get some stops on D. The Rice TD's were trash touchdowns and most people know that. In fact, there was a stat that said something about how Rice only crossed the 50 yard line one time the first like 3 quarters of the game. While I would like to keep the foot on the gas, given the injuries this team has been dealing with since camp, I'll take an easy win and come out as healthy as possible vs the style points.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, Red90fly said:

I've said it a couple of times but the 2020 class may be top 3 with high end talent like the 2018 class.  Every recruit tuned in last night and have been talking about it on twitter/social media.  

I think Texas will land more of the high end in-state guys this go around and continue to add elite out of state talent.

Yep

2 Thoughts

1) I am not a fan of any wildcat formations as long as we have Ehlinger. He is hands down our best player on offense. Why take the ball out of his hands on any given play?

2) I think this is a huge game for Texas. Need to show that getting torched by Burrow and company was as much LSU's improvement and not a sign of things to come in conference play. 

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

national Texas hate-ism

Watching Bama beat South Carolina.  They could’ve left starters in and ran up the score too.  Saban knows the lifeblood to a solid program is getting backups playing time and experience.  I liked seeing Herman do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

2 Thoughts

1) I am not a fan of any wildcat formations as long as we have Ehlinger. He is hands down our best player on offense. Why take the ball out of his hands on any given play?

2) I think this is a huge game for Texas. Need to show that getting torched by Burrow and company was as much LSU's improvement and not a sign of things to come in conference play. 

I agree with point #1. I was just making up ways to implement his arm.

19 hours ago, TxFight said:

2 Thoughts

1. In my opinion, they're saving Ehlinger. The kid has been a rock for us the past 2 seasons, but he's also been hurt. Played hurt. He's tough but there's only so much that your QB should be expected to do. Last year when we ran him head first into that Georgia defense 4 plays in a row... Yeah, he got the touchdown, but did you see him when he got up? His arm talent has progressed so much, that we need it now. We finally have backs that SHOULD be able to carry some of the load, and we need to utilize it as much as possible. 

2. Yes. If you don't think Mike Gundy is fixing to wear our secondary out, you're sadly mistaken. I agree 100% that this could be their biggest test in the secondary, period. Gundy always has Texas' number, but I think that will change this year in Austin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Thoughts on Casey Thompson from the little we've seen? 

Mixed. He looks promising. If he can improve on his arm, I think he will be a great player. It was said though that he is a run first QB. Not sure how true that is, but Ehlinger I believe started in the same shoes. If we can develop him, like we did Ehlinger, he will be golden. He's definitely got the speed. 

43 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

1. In my opinion, they're saving Ehlinger. The kid has been a rock for us the past 2 seasons, but he's also been hurt. Played hurt. He's tough but there's only so much that your QB should be expected to do. Last year when we ran him head first into that Georgia defense 4 plays in a row... Yeah, he got the touchdown, but did you see him when he got up? His arm talent has progressed so much, that we need it now. We finally have backs that SHOULD be able to carry some of the load, and we need to utilize it as much as possible. 

2. Yes. If you don't think Mike Gundy is fixing to wear our secondary out, you're sadly mistaken. I agree 100% that this could be their biggest test in the secondary, period. Gundy always has Texas' number, but I think that will change this year in Austin.

I agree, spread the ball around, get the run game going etc. But moving him from the QB spot makes zero sense to me. With him there, you have the threat to throw in any situation (1st & 10 to 4th & 1). You have the threat that he could run it in any situation. I'm sure opposing defensive coaches have picked up on UT saving Ehlinger as well. But the threat of what he COULD do, makes defenses have to have that outlet accounted for on every play. If you put someone else at QB, you are eliminating what COULD be an option on any given play and letting the defense focus in on 1/2 things. 

1 minute ago, TxFight said:

I agree, spread the ball around, get the run game going etc. But moving him from the QB spot makes zero sense to me. With him there, you have the threat to throw in any situation (1st & 10 to 4th & 1). You have the threat that he could run it in any situation. I'm sure opposing defensive coaches have picked up on UT saving Ehlinger as well. But the threat of what he COULD do, makes defenses have to have that outlet accounted for on every play. If you put someone else at QB, you are eliminating what COULD be an option on any given play and letting the defense focus in on 1/2 things. 

I always felt like they put the wrong players in Wildcat sometimes. I mean, Johnson would be a great wildcat candidate... Jerrod Heard... Athletes you know are capable of throwing the ball. 

20 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I haven’t seen any reports.  I was out of state working on deer lease and didn’t get to see the game.  I was wondering how Thompson and some of the other young guys looked as well

5 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Mixed. He looks promising. If he can improve on his arm, I think he will be a great player. It was said though that he is a run first QB. Not sure how true that is, but Ehlinger I believe started in the same shoes. If we can develop him, like we did Ehlinger, he will be golden. He's definitely got the speed. 

You can tell he's rusty. He has flashes of being really good, but to me, his confidence isn't quite there. Which is expected being the backup and rarely seeing the field.