Razorbacks 2020 Thread

MrBuddyGarrity

On 12/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, Champ1000 said:

Barry Lunney now appears the favorite to be promoted to head coach at Ark. They must have been turned down a lot. I say give him the job or A new coach will obviously be rebuilding some, so it make sense to hire cheap with a coach that wants to do it. I think that they should have considered Bill Clark at UAB. They don't need to think national championship now, they need someone to solidy the program.

Lol, Arkansas crapped their undies big time firing Morris.  Nobody wants it after seeing they won’t get a fair shake

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Agree but gotta start somewhere. Underwhelming hire is probably more appropriate

They started two years ago.  They didn’t even give this guy the time to get his guys in.  He lost 3-4 games this year by 7 or less and another by 14.  The blowouts were expected.  Do you really believe what you post most of the time?  Arkansas AD has buried his football program.  They’d have been better off letting Jerrah demote Jason Garret from the cowboys to the Hogs.

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

They started two years ago.  They didn’t even give this guy the time to get his guys in.  He lost 3-4 games this year by 7 or less and another by 14.  The blowouts were expected.  Do you really believe what you post most of the time?  Arkansas AD has buried his football program.  They’d have been better off letting Jerrah demote Jason Garret from the cowboys to the Hogs.

This program is in disarray. You are one to talk about believing. Good thing about being at the bottom you most likely improve. Getting to a bowl game is the goal.

This team was 2-10. Only 3 of those losses were by 7 points or less. They got blown out at home by Western Kentucky. This program is closer to bottoming out than they are likely to improve. You brought in Bielema and his Big 10 recruiting. Morris got two years with his spread attack. You have Seniors going into 2020 who are on their third coach and third system. I’d be surprised if Pittman didn’t run a Georgia style offense which goes back to Bielema style offense that you haven’t recruited for two year. You can run a power style offense in the West and maybe win your four out of conference games. You may get lucky and win two SEC games. Arkansas ain’t there. You are not gonna outpower Bama, LSU, Georgia with top 5 classes and you pulling in sub 50 classes. Arkansas hasn’t hit bottom yet. It’s coming and it’s gonna be brutal. The Pittman hire will do nothing to right this sinking program. How can Arkansas with Walmart money not be able to go after a Bill Clark or Willie Fritz, two proven winners, and be able to get them to Fayetteville? Because every coach knows that’s where careers go to die.

25 minutes ago, Stoney said:

This team was 2-10. Only 3 of those losses were by 7 points or less. They got blown out at home by Western Kentucky. This program is closer to bottoming out than they are likely to improve. You brought in Bielema and his Big 10 recruiting. Morris got two years with his spread attack. You have Seniors going into 2020 who are on their third coach and third system. I’d be surprised if Pittman didn’t run a Georgia style offense which goes back to Bielema style offense that you haven’t recruited for two year. You can run a power style offense in the West and maybe win your four out of conference games. You may get lucky and win two SEC games. Arkansas ain’t there. You are not gonna outpower Bama, LSU, Georgia with top 5 classes and you pulling in sub 50 classes. Arkansas hasn’t hit bottom yet. It’s coming and it’s gonna be brutal. The Pittman hire will do nothing to right this sinking program. How can Arkansas with Walmart money not be able to go after a Bill Clark or Willie Fritz, two proven winners, and be able to get them to Fayetteville? Because every coach knows that’s where careers go to die.

I stated a few weeks ago it would take a grand slam hire to pull them out.  It’d take Les Miles, Bob Stoops, urban Meyer types of coach a while to get out of this now.  Morris isn’t the best coach, but he deserved another year or two to get his guys in place to see if he could compete.    Why hire Willie fritz if you’re not willing to give chad morris the chance you hired him for.  Hiring an OL coach was a step back from Morris.  It was prolly all they could get to listen

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Really, in all honesty, the best way for Arkansas to get out of this crater would be to get out of the sec west

And go to the Big 12?.  That is not realistic. They just need to get competitve before they take the West. Arkansas faithful would be ecstatic with 8-4 to 6-6. 

4 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

And go to the Big 12?.  That is not realistic. They just need to get competitve before they take the West. Arkansas faithful would be ecstatic with 8-4 to 6-6. 

At the rate they’re going and the hire they just made I was thinking American or Mountain West.  Arkansas wouldn’t win a game in the Big12 right now

• Like 1

this was a disaster hire...

so Arkansas had become a mess with Burt Bulimia...

they go to Morris and a run-n-shoot offense...total reversal from Burt's offense/personnel...  

they don't give Morris even 2 years to totally recruit a new team and change the program...

now they make a "no name" hire and it's a flip backwards to a ground-n-pound guy that was part of that mess BB staff. 

there will be frustration constantly as he won't have the type of personnel he needs and Arkie is going to be forever starting over.

Just now, CoachPelvisPresley said:

this was a disaster hire...

so Arkansas had become a mess with Burt Bulimia...

they go to Morris and a run-n-shoot offense...total reversal from Burt's offense/personnel...  

they don't give Morris even 2 years to totally recruit a new team and change the program...

now they make a "no name" hire and it's a flip backwards to a ground-n-pound guy that was part of that mess BB staff. 

there will be frustration constantly as he won't have the type of personnel he needs and Arkie is going to be forever starting over.

Morris will end up an OC somewhere and kill it again.  Next time though, he needs to learn what the right job is...  The right job is not making several million in a bottom tier P5 school unless its one you can turn around due to weakness in your conference.  For example, lets take the ACC since its the weakest conference...

Bad job:  Georgia Tech.  Why?  They have always been "that other school" in Georgia.  The state is rich in D1 talent, but all of that talent goes to SEC schools. 
Good job: NC State or Syracuse.  Why?  These schools don't have a ton of tradition, but Syracuse's biggest threat to recruiting in-state is Buffalo...  NC State is the 2nd school in North Carolina, but UNC hasn't actually been good enough to win the conference in like 10-14 years.  If you can find a way to get some dogs in there and win a few fights, surpassing UNC and moving to the top of the league should be easy.

Arkansas had so many different ways they could have gone that would have looked good.  They could have gone after another high flying mid-major coach, they could have gone the past successful coach, or they could have gone with the P5 coordinator that shows a lot of potential... BUT they went with the no name guy.  Good luck with that.

• Thanks 1

My friends are saying they hired Pittman because he’s an Arkansas guy and he “gets” Arkansas.  Sounds like another institution ive heard when hiring.  So I got curious.  I googled the new hire and he was OL coach under Bert, from 2013 to 2015.  They went 3-9, 7-6, 8-5 those years.  I’d say he “gets” Arkansas just fine

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Morris will end up an OC somewhere and kill it again.  Next time though, he needs to learn what the right job is...  The right job is not making several million in a bottom tier P5 school unless its one you can turn around due to weakness in your conference.  For example, lets take the ACC since its the weakest conference...

Bad job:  Georgia Tech.  Why?  They have always been "that other school" in Georgia.  The state is rich in D1 talent, but all of that talent goes to SEC schools. 
Good job: NC State or Syracuse.  Why?  These schools don't have a ton of tradition, but Syracuse's biggest threat to recruiting in-state is Buffalo...  NC State is the 2nd school in North Carolina, but UNC hasn't actually been good enough to win the conference in like 10-14 years.  If you can find a way to get some dogs in there and win a few fights, surpassing UNC and moving to the top of the league should be easy.

Arkansas had so many different ways they could have gone that would have looked good.  They could have gone after another high flying mid-major coach, they could have gone the past successful coach, or they could have gone with the P5 coordinator that shows a lot of potential... BUT they went with the no name guy.  Good luck with that.

It’s bad when Kiffen says no thanks

• LOL! 1

19 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Bad job:  Georgia Tech.  Why?  They have always been "that other school" in Georgia.  The state is rich in D1 talent, but all of that talent goes to SEC schools...

I used to teach Sunday School with Paul Johnson when I lived in Annapolis. I counseled him against taking the GT job (lol, not that he'd listen to me) for the reasons you mentioned. But he had to take it. It was a way back home (most of his family lives in Ga.) and a way to ease into retirement. 

19 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Having no dog in the hunt, I certainly don't care if Arkansas succeeds or not, but I wonder if there's something bigger at work here...  it almost seems like they're deliberately tanking. Why? I have no idea, but nothing about their decision-making process has made sense. Not the Bielema hiring or firing, not the Morris fiasco, or the hiring of this latest dude... whose name I can't even recall. 

26 minutes ago, AKA said:

I used to teach Sunday School with Paul Johnson when I lived in Annapolis. I counseled him against taking the GT job (lol, not that he'd listen to me) for the reasons you mentioned. But he had to take it. It was a way back home (most of his family lives in Ga.) and a way to ease into retirement. 

Having no dog in the hunt, I certainly don't care if Arkansas succeeds or not, but I wonder if there's something bigger at work here...  it almost seems like they're deliberately tanking. Why? I have no idea, but nothing about their decision-making process has made sense. Not the Bielema hiring or firing, not the Morris fiasco, or the hiring of this latest dude... whose name I can't even recall. 

I can see this guy being the "filler guy."  Meaning, they use him to get a certain kind of recruit in for 3-4 years then go after the "Bielema"... the big name that runs the kind of offense they want... I don't know... I would have kept Morris... but I've always said, that I would keep any college coach for at least 4 years... 2 years to get their guys in there, 1 to show improvement, then the last one to show that we are on the up and up.

• Like 1