Razorbacks 2020 Thread

MrBuddyGarrity

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek reportedly spent Sunday in Boca Raton, Florida, where FAU head coach Lane Kiffin is a possible candidate as the Razorbacks' coaching search continues. 

https://t.co/VtCtj8v2DM https://t.co/TaN1KfVu9m

It's happening yall. 

That honestly would be a good hire even more so than the pirate from Washington st. Hopefully Arkansas gets focused on the recruiting trail. 

18 hours ago, Stoney said:

Kiffin would take the Arkansas job over Florida State? Holy cow how big is that paycheck gonna be?

He might actually...as much due to his Saban hatred, as much as anything else. Despite the tough up hill grind, he would probably love opportunities every other year or two (similar to Auburn) to knock off Nick and throw a tuuurd into the Bama prom punch bowl. 

Kiffin would certainly being a lot of excitement, and possibly an uptick in recruiting, but man...  I dunno. Arkansas is in a bad way right now. Dude would have his work cut out for him. But if anyone can do it, he can. 

4 hours ago, AKA said:

Kiffin would certainly being a lot of excitement, and possibly an uptick in recruiting, but man...  I dunno. Arkansas is in a bad way right now. Dude would have his work cut out for him. But if anyone can do it, he can. 

Probably more successful at Florida st. He has been recruiting the same area for three years and would be a much easier conference. 

4 hours ago, AKA said:

FAU was one of the worst teams in the country when he took over if I remember correctly 

• Like 1

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

FAU was one of the worst teams in the country when he took over if I remember correctly 

Yeah, and not only that, but he made FAU seem (for lack of a better word) cool.

FAU? Cool? Yeah, he did that almost right away. Even before they showed much on-field success. Sure, there was mockery and memes, but people were talking about FAU. F-A-freakin-U! 

It may sound looney to old ####s like you and me, but being able to bottle and dispense that kinda hype is HUGE to the young folks. 

48 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yeah, and not only that, but he made FAU seem (for lack of a better word) cool.

FAU? Cool? Yeah, he did that almost right away. Even before they showed much on-field success. Sure, there was mockery and memes, but people were talking about FAU. F-A-freakin-U! 

It may sound looney to old ####s like you and me, but being able to bottle and dispense that kinda hype is HUGE to the young folks. 

The only issue I can foresee with Kiffen is that he is a "my guys" coach.  Meaning he isn't going to come in and work around current recruits.  He is going to get his freshman that he wants and play his freshmen.  If you are good enough to play with his guys then you will play, but he is going to do things his way.  It's arrogance, but its also the type of attitude that is needed for a complete culture change with a program.  Lane went into FAU and started twitter bombing everyone.  Made weekly radio appearances on any show that would have him.  On top of all of that, he won something like 10-11 games with freshmen and scrubs.  

I don't think he will come in an kill it at Arkansas.  He should be able to turn that team into a 7-8 win team in 3-4 years and move on to his next gig...  which will ultimately be a perennial top 10-15 program.  He is a 100% college coach.  He is not an NFL guy.  If he stays at the college level, he can get the fast guys that he wants and win some football games and make a lot of money.  If he goes somewhere, does well then uses it to jump to the NFL again, he will ultimately ruin his career.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The only issue I can foresee with Kiffen is that he is a "my guys" coach.  Meaning he isn't going to come in and work around current recruits.  He is going to get his freshman that he wants and play his freshmen.  If you are good enough to play with his guys then you will play, but he is going to do things his way.  It's arrogance, but its also the type of attitude that is needed for a complete culture change with a program.  Lane went into FAU and started twitter bombing everyone.  Made weekly radio appearances on any show that would have him.  On top of all of that, he won something like 10-11 games with freshmen and scrubs.  

I don't think he will come in an kill it at Arkansas.  He should be able to turn that team into a 7-8 win team in 3-4 years and move on to his next gig...  which will ultimately be a perennial top 10-15 program.  He is a 100% college coach.  He is not an NFL guy.  If he stays at the college level, he can get the fast guys that he wants and win some football games and make a lot of money.  If he goes somewhere, does well then uses it to jump to the NFL again, he will ultimately ruin his career.

well I think most coaches that come in have that general thought process. if you're recruiting a kid and perceive that they fit the offense or defense you're running...then they do have a leg up on Bubba McGillacutty that's been bopping around languishing in mediocrity. you tend to be a bit slanted that kids in the midst of losing long term become softened and it's become easier for most to say "roll over" again when you get into a tough game/situation. now, if you came in and had a talent that blew your doors off & far exceeds the freshmen, then it would be career suicide to not find a way to "plug in" that talent. 

it's not going to be easy at Arkansas for anybody...we just saw that!

52 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

To be fair, that would be "killing it" at Arkansas. No offense intended.  ;) 

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Barry Switzer on UA Leaders and Mike Leach: “They’re Scared of Him.” https://t.co/bmWBZaAOBQ

leach signed an extension this morning. something tells me it was because he wasnt offered another job.

Traylor in the lead for the Lamar job. i guess if he is going to leave arkansas i hope he gets a head job somewhere.

19 hours ago, txk85 said:

leach signed an extension this morning. something tells me it was because he wasnt offered another job.

Traylor in the lead for the Lamar job. i guess if he is going to leave arkansas i hope he gets a head job somewhere.

I think Wash St can read articles like us. Leach had his name in multiple jobs. It would be stupid for them to not offer Leach more money to stay. 

Traylor will get a head coaching position soon. Has a promise to beat SMU for not picking him and going with Dykes at the last second. With a new Head Coach I would say most of the assistants are probably gone and Traylor is smart for trying to get his own head coaching job. 

3 hours ago, 903sweetshot said:

I think Wash St can read articles like us. Leach had his name in multiple jobs. It would be stupid for them to not offer Leach more money to stay. 

Traylor will get a head coaching position soon. Has a promise to beat SMU for not picking him and going with Dykes at the last second. With a new Head Coach I would say most of the assistants are probably gone and Traylor is smart for trying to get his own head coaching job. 

There's so much stuff out there now about the coaching search i don't know what to believe about leach, kiffin or whoever. this article saying lunney and traylor have been retained at arkansas. how is that when a new coach hasn't been hired? 

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/sources-indicate-pair-of-arkansas-assistants-could-be-remaining-in-fayetteville/

2 hours ago, txk85 said:

There's so much stuff out there now about the coaching search i don't know what to believe about leach, kiffin or whoever. this article saying lunney and traylor have been retained at arkansas. how is that when a new coach hasn't been hired? 

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/sources-indicate-pair-of-arkansas-assistants-could-be-remaining-in-fayetteville/

They may have retained Traylor to keep the recruiting with a pulse while they continue the search.

• Like 1