2019 Cowboys Offseason

What changes will we see on the coaching staff?  No first round pick means a more interesting draft. Dallas has money to spend due to cheap rookie contracts that are fixing to need extensions. Who gets paid and how much and for how long? 2019 could be a interesting time for the future of this team.

Cowboys 2019 Payroll/ Free Agent Situation 

Cap space ( Sportrac/ Over The Cap) $48.5m/$55.2m

Free Agents-

Tank Lawrence UFA- Dallas will either Franchise Tag or sign to a long term extension. Keeper

Tavon Austin UFA- Gadget player who Linehan had no idea how to use. Maybe

Cole Beasley UFA- Was the best WR on team until Amari Trade. What’s the price for a 30 year old slot receiver? Keep

David Irving UFA- Million dollar talent, 10 cent brain. Goner 

Cam Fleming UFA- Swing tackle who didn’t get Dak killed when Tyron had to sit. Depends on price. Maybe 

Jamize Oliwale UFA- Goner

LP Ladoucer UFA- Keeper

Marcus Martin UFA- Frederick’s injury is gonna cause the team to reevaluate the interior of the line. Goner

Caraun Reid UFA - Goner

Datone Jones UFA- Former first round pick. Position flex on the line. Depends on how cheap plus how the young guys (Armstrong, Woods, draft picks) play. Maybe

Damien Wilson UFA- Solid role player. Depends on the value versus drafting a replacement. Maybe

Rod Smith UFA- Didn’t have as many opportunities to shine this year, which means Zeke was on the field. Keeper 

Darian Thompson RFA- goner

Justin March RFA -goner

Geoff Swaim RFA - Swaim/Jarwin turned into a decent TE option for Dak. Does Dallas roll with that or invest in a upgrade? Keeper 

2019 Problem Contracts That Could Be Reworked, Possible Player Cuts

Amari Cooper $13.9m on his rookie contract. Dallas gave up the 2019 first rounder for the hopes he was a WR1. I think we all feel safe about that move now. Dallas should sign him to a extension which would lower the 2019 number.

Sean Lee is due $10m this year. He’s not signed beyond this year. You can keep him as part time starter. You can make him a June 1st cut and save $7m. My position on this has changed. Bring him back for this year and then move on.

Allen Hurns/ Terrance Williams. Hurns suffered a horrible ankle injury in the playoffs. 20 catches for 295 yards and 2 tds for $6.25m. June 1st cut would save $5m. Terrance Williams was a bad contract extension. Injuries and drug suspensions ruined his 2018. Williams is due $4.75m, June 1st cut saves $2.25m. Does JJ/Stephen/McClay feel like this WR group needs a upgrade or not? I’d cut Williams for sure. Hurns if healthy could play out his contract.

Future Big Contract Extensions

QB Dak Prescott- The kid is more of a winner than a prototypical modern day QB. We saw how he looked the first 8 games without a WR1. $30m is ridiculous. $25m is too high. $20m would be okay. $18m would be my sweet spot. Dak needs talent around him to make him better.

RB Zeke Elliott- Kid has won 2 rushing titles when Goodell hasn’t hosed him. Dallas has a 5th year option. Dallas will probably use that and then look to extend him beyond that.

CB Byron Jones- The former 1st round pick spent the first three years of his career as a decent safety. In his first year under Kris Richard as a starting CB, he turned into a shutdown corner. The leader of a very good, very young secondary.

LB Jaylon Smith- Went from would he ever play again to showing flashes of the top 10 pick he could have been. The team of Smith and LVE might be the best linebacking crew Dallas has had since the 90s.

DE Randy Gregory- I never thought I’d be putting this one on the list. Kid was headed to be a all time Cowboys draft pick bust, then he finally grew up and got serious about his life. The kid had 6 sacks this year and looked like a good bookend rusher to pair with Tank Lawrence. Can he repeat himself in 2019? Can he stay off the weed and out of trouble? If he’s good I wouldn’t mind working on a incentive laden extension. I’d still wanna cover my butt. 

Dallas Offseason Needs

1. Hire a new OC. Linehan is not a good match for Dak’s skill set.

2. Lock up Kris Richard. He’s the answer at DC and possibly Garrett’s replacement.

3. Add another weapon or two on the offense for Dak. Find a change of pace back that can catch. Get another WR to help stretch the D. Get another TE on board. The more weapons that Dak has at his disposal the better.

4. Invest in the interior line position. Frederick’s illness is a huge question mark. Will he play again? If so at what level? Is Connor Williams a LG or would a move to C help? This could be the sneaky position of need.

2019 NFL Draft

Dallas has a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th and a 7th rounder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is always my favorite thread of the year.  This is the point where the ridiculously strong optimism becomes realism again.  We stop thinking Zeke is going to run all over everyone with an excellent game plan and realize Red and Linnehan are terrible for the future.  Right now, the Cowboys are the Texas A&M Aggies.  They are ok with going 9-7, or 10-6 with hope of going all of the way, BUT it will never happen...  but leadership is ok with this and will keep them around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Jon Machota- Jason Garrett said on @1053thefan that offensive coordinator Scott Linehan will return for the 2019 season and he doesn’t expect any significant changes to the coaching staff

Stoney- 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

Aka shouldn't expect different results

On 1/13/2019 at 9:35 AM, Stoney said:

Dallas needs to scour the Chiefs and Rams staff for the next OC. Eric Bieniemy. Shane Waldron. Aaron Kromer. Get somebody young and innovative on this staff.

Bieniemy is just a clipboard holder. Andy Reid called the shots in KC. Now if KC wants to get rid of Andy Reid.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

Jon Machota- Jason Garrett said on @1053thefan that offensive coordinator Scott Linehan will return for the 2019 season and he doesn’t expect any significant changes to the coaching staff

Stoney- 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

As expected. 

They will find somebody nobody has ever heard of to fire.   Just hit replay every year on this

• Sad 1

Draft best available which may be an interior o-line which is fine becuase Conner Williams my cause my cleats of don’t be a bully got him plunked out like Jim Acosta being plunked out by Trump. 

I don’t think you can release Hurn after an injury.....

i like the idea of earl Thomas coming to Dallas with the right deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Stoney- 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

That's funny,  Mike Ducy, on fox four said this morning. That  Lahanan was expected to move on. I think that's what he said.

I don't know that I trust what Jason Garrett says. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JV_COACH said:

Draft best available which may be an interior o-line which is fine becuase Conner Williams my cause my cleats of don’t be a bully got him plunked out like Jim Acosta being plunked out by Trump. 

I don’t think you can release Hurn after an injury.....

i like the idea of earl Thomas coming to Dallas with the right deal.

Actually you could with an injury settlement.  He was done before he came to Dallas.  I agree with Stoney's assessment.  

I like Demarcus Lawrence, but I worry that when he signs a big contract he'll begin to coast. I saw that in Demarcus Ware a few years ago. David Irving is a lost cause. You had him pegged right Stoney.

Imho Rico Gathers needs to go. The experiment is over. I don't see him contributing much of anything to the team. I am no great football mind by any stretch of the imagination, but I think Dallas needs a great quarterback coach to work with Dak to make him better. He might improve, without it but he is a little too inconsistent on his passes for my comfort. Now, the suggestion of a good OC designing a good offensive scheme may also be the ticket. But, he needs to progress to a higher level. 

4 hours ago, mellon said:

Bieniemy is just a clipboard holder. Andy Reid called the shots in KC. Now if KC wants to get rid of Andy Reid.......

This offense needs help. Did Y’all know that the top 4 scoring offenses are in the Championship games this weekend? Dallas was 21st scoring 21ppg. Give me anybody off the offensive staffs of the Rams, Chiefs, Saints and Pats. Called plays or not. When the Rams say that it didn’t matter if Dallas went 3 wide or not, that they were staying in their base defense that’s horrible. Horrible. Dallas needs someone who can come in and make Dak into weapon. Make the threat of him running a bigger part of this offense. Make the defense have to play 10 on 11 because they have to spy Dak. 

Gathers is taking up a spot that could be better used elsewhere on this team. Give me Swaim/Jarwin all day over Gathers. That’s a great thing about this year’s draft. It’s a very TE heavy class. There will be guys on Day 2( 2nd & 3rd rounders) that can be plug in day one starters for this team.

Wide receiver, TE, interior offensive line, defensive line, LB, safety....that’s what Dallas should be targeting to improve this offseason. 

I don’t think this would happen, especially being a division rival, but the team is in a downturn.....Landon Collins is a UFA. Kid is young, physical. If your hesitant to spend the money on Earl Thomas this could be your guy. It would mean moving Heath/Frazier to a backup role. Letting Xavier Woods take over the Free. 

With a salary cap, it is almost impossible to be great at every position......that being said, on offense - would love to see a better backup to Zeke - either a big bull or a scatback(either is a change of pace to Zeke)........if Frederick is healthy, our top 7 lineman from 2018 would do.......TE’s good enough.......I think Zeke could be even better with a true fullback......Need a good/tall WR..........on defense, need a run stuffing DT or 2

• Like 1